Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with tesla trade in value - 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was willing to trade in a 3 month old 2021 mustang with 4200km that i paid 68k in canada. Tesla wanted to offer me 35k Canadian. That's almost half the price. Seems quite ridiculous. Don't you ???
That is ridiculous. It's basically them saying we don't want your car. People seem to be getting great offers from sites like Carvana, Vroom, TRED, and Shift.

Not sure if any of those have services in Canada. Would 100% recommend selling it to similar sites like the ones mentioned.

That is ridiculous. It's basically them saying we don't want your car. People seem to be getting great offers from sites like Carvana, Vroom, TRED, and Shift.

Not sure if any of those have services in Canada. Would 100% recommend selling it to similar sites like the ones mentioned.
Thats because tesla DOESNT want your car, basically any used car. I also moved the OPs thread out of a thread on this topic that was from 2020, because 2020 pricing is not relevant right now.

I was willing to trade in a 3 month old 2021 mustang with 4200km that i paid 68k in canada. Tesla wanted to offer me 35k Canadian. That's almost half the price. Seems quite ridiculous. Don't you ???
They aren't going to sell your car. They will send it to auction. If you are not happy with the trade in offer you can reach out to them and have them go over it again. Maybe they did a trade-in price on a base Mustang. For 68k new I assume you got like a Mach 1. If you are serious about trading it, reach out to your sales advisor. Black book on a Mach 1 is closer to 60k CAD.

Sold my veloster private party for 2 grand LESS than what I bought it for 17 months ago and 12k miles later. Don't be lazy my friend sell your Mustang private party. Just watch put for scammers, but they subside after a couple of days.

Tesla trade in was the lowest offer I got when I was kicking tires.

Tesla offered me 27.5K for my 2016 Mustang GT Premium. I ended up going to all of the Ford dealerships in my area and all 3 offered me 29.5K for it. I sold it to the one closest to my house. Try the dealership.

I am new to the trade in process when ordering from Tesla.

my experience was my Tesla trade in value drop 12+% in just 1 week, not sure if this is the experience that the other Tesla Owners already had?

Thanks for sharing....

This is one area I can’t stand about Tesla. I realize they don’t really want the used cars but when you can’t trade you lose the sales tax savings in a lot of states. It also complicates the process as you now have to shop your car at different dealers the week before you take delivery and compare the tax savings of a Tesla trade in vs selling the vehicle separately.

We've got a model Y on order and one became available last minute (I guess people's financing fell through). When I reserved the order I also sent away for estimated trade in value of our Model 3 (through Tesla.com) and they estimated it at $46,000. Well, when they called to actually set up delivery they requested I officially submit the trade in and they came back with $41,600 (car is CLEAN, hardly any miles in 60 days, plus new tires which they didnt consider). Pretty big price difference in about 60 days. I rejected this Model Y and trade in for now and kept my original delivery date in November to figure out what to do. Possibly selling private party now. Anybody else with this trade in shocker? Thanks

We've got a model Y on order and one became available last minute (I guess people's financing fell through). When I reserved the order I also sent away for estimated trade in value of our Model 3 (through Tesla.com) and they estimated it at $46,000. Well, when they called to actually set up delivery they requested I officially submit the trade in and they came back with $41,600 (car is CLEAN, hardly any miles in 60 days, plus new tires which they didnt consider). Pretty big price difference in about 60 days. I rejected this Model Y and trade in for now and kept my original delivery date in November to figure out what to do. Possibly selling private party now. Anybody else with this trade in shocker? Thanks
Reads like your financing fell through like it did for the previous party. So Elon’s epiphany still holds that Tesla’s are too expensive and need to get more affordable

I had a 2010 z4 35is with 62km on the clock. Tesla swiss offered 16.2k. I went to a few other location and got 22.5k for the car. The point, Tesla does not give the best trade in values. I would strongly encourage you to shop around as that was 38% difference in valuation of my car. If i would have sold it privately (after cosmetic fixes) i could have got 27k CHF max but who knows how long and how much hassle.

I traded in my 2015 Corolla with 63,000 miles with 1 small dent and what look like a small chunk of clear coat rubbed off from some debris on the road. I got a $11,200 which was a little more then what Carvana and Carmax were offering and I don't have to pay taxes on the sale to boot.

New development: So in our Tesla account my model Y order says "on hold" and to click "resume delivery" when ready, so I clicked that today. They still had my trade in M3 VIN and all pertinent info listed but the price now quoted is 2k higher at $43,600 for the trade in. I was never notified of the change in value. Its an M3 stealth performance with low miles so I think Im still going to try and private party it anyways. I agree, things do seem off and actually talking to the showroom sales is of little to no help in the matter.

If you can get more from somewhere else, by all means, do it. Some companies are able to sell your car at inflated prices, and are therefore able to give you a better price. Of course, if you don't need it, let someone else buy it from you, leaving Carvana, etc. out of the equation. I don't feel I need to support them, so if I'm able, I try to help someone else out.

My attitude, when I was selling our old M3, was that I wanted to get another Tesla out on the road, so I sold it to one of our adopted daughters for what Tesla offered me for trade in. Relatives are especially happy to take an old Tesla.