Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with the Resale value for my 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

leeh97

RN1148 Red, blk, 19s
Dec 21, 2019
San jose ca
I have a 2019 LR AWD, 7800miles, clean all over. Supercharged 700 miles, battery shows 315mi range at 100%.

Wanted to upgrade to a Model S for more space.

Put the Model 3 for sale, its been 2 weeks and zero interest. Was asking 45k. 2 people asked if it was still avail then no reply.

I sold my 2017 mazda miata with 27k miles 4 months ago after 3 weeks of advertising. over 10 inquiries in 3 weeks. Sold for 1k less than i asked.

Kbb does not include the m3 in its instant cash offer feature... Why? I guess they know demand is low. Tons of m3 on used car sites. Telsa offering me at most 40k trade-in.

Conclusion if you are considering: fantastic car but still no used market. All the talk of teslas retaining their values is BS, prob no better than a chrysler.

PS i live in CA, the supposed hotbed for EVs.

I have a 2019 LR AWD, 7800miles, clean all over. Supercharged 700 miles, battery shows 315mi range at 100%.

Wanted to upgrade to a Model S for more space.

Put the Model 3 for sale, its been 2 weeks and zero interest. Was asking 45k. 2 people asked if it was still avail then no reply.

I sold my 2017 mazda miata with 27k miles 4 months ago after 3 weeks of advertising. over 10 inquiries in 3 weeks. Sold for 1k less than i asked.

Kbb does not include the m3 in its instant cash offer feature... Why? I guess they know demand is low. Tons of m3 on used car sites. Telsa offering me at most 40k trade-in.

Conclusion if you are considering: fantastic car but still no used market. All the talk of teslas retaining their values is BS, prob no better than a chrysler.

PS i live in CA, the supposed hotbed for EVs.
That's surprising. It seems like used Teslas are selling like hotcakes and I'm in Northern California as well. In fact, I used to live in San Jose, too, and saw them everywhere. It's a great, great car and I'm shocked with those specs that you can't sell it for $45k there.

That's surprising. It seems like used Teslas are selling like hotcakes and I'm in Northern California as well. In fact, I used to live in San Jose, too, and saw them everywhere. It's a great, great car and I'm shocked with those specs that you can't sell it for $45k there.
I was shocked too. I guess you hit it on the nail, too many of them

I don't understand the used Model 3 prices. You're trying to get 45K for a 2019 LR AWD, you can buy a brand new one for 48-49K with the latest tech. Who would buy a 2019 for 45K vs 2021 for 48-49K ?

You also can't get state tax rebates for used. Financing rates are probably better on the new too. Depending on both of those the 2021 could actually be cheaper financed

Last edited:
I don't understand the used Model 3 prices. You're trying to get 45K for a 2019 LR AWD, you can buy a brand new one for 48-49K with the latest tech. Who would buy a 2019 for 45K vs 2021 for 48-49K ?

You also can't get state tax rebates for used
Some people will pay a premium to not have to wait 4-12 weeks. It's not just Teslas, either. I sold my Jeep Gladiator to a dealership for $1500 more than what I paid for it. The used car market is insane right now.

This I guess just goes to show how crazy the used car market is right now cause no way would I spend $45K on a used Tesla when a new one is only $3K more. Heck going under the used section on Tesla's website no way would I pay what they are asking for their used inventory even if they included FSD because a new 3 with FSD is still about the same price. Granted I have the ability to wait for a new car than needing it within the next week or two and the only reason I am making the move over to the Model 3 is the crazy used car market and sold my 2017 Camaro SS for a dang good price to Carmax. Frankly I would consider Tesla's offer as good and take it or Carvana if they offer higher.

You also can't get state tax rebates for used
You're right, i didnt bother to check new prices. Mine is blue with acceleration so its more like 50k. Nevertheless the used car sites dont seem to consider current pricing. Low 40k seem appropriate but still no interest whatsoever....that is surprising.

I sold used cars twice, theres always some dude offering a ridiculous lowball price but so far not even a lowball.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
With the dearth of used Teslas available I would think it would be easy to sell one but for the higher prices Teslas command. That's a harder buyer to find, given that a new car isn't much more expensive than a used one.

That said, with Q2 sales exceeding production capacity, now's probably a good time to try to sell a used Tesla, presuming it's priced right.

I find this post interesting, because it is basically "I am not happy with the fact I cant sell my car for almost what I bought it". I also find the thread title clickbaity so I am going to change it to something more appropriate.

=======================================================

(moderator note: changed thread title from "Warning before you buy a tesla" to "unhappy with the resale value of my 2019 model 3" which is a more descriptive / less clickbait title that describes what OP is talking about. This also has nothing to do with ordering or production, so thread will be moved to the appropriate section, which is "model 3 general section)

Anything you are selling is only worth what you can get for it. $45K is absolutely top dollar for a two year-old LR model three given that a new one is only a few K more. The OP's best hope is to find someone who is willing to pay a premium to avoid the delay time involved in ordering one. Otherwise the OP will have to drop the price given the response.

Even though the used car market is a bit crazy right now due to low inventories and other factors, I think your asking price is too high. Tesla has a 2020 M3 LR AWD with 7k miles, acceleration boost, 1 year additional warranty, clean history, etc. for $46,800.

A new 2021 like the above would be $52,690 retail (assuming $1k for black paint and $2k for acceleration boost). This is before any state EV rebates. credits, etc.

How are you not getting 45k through Tesla. Im selling them my 2019 model 3 awd with FSD and acceleration boost and got valuation of 44,300. You also gotta factor you get a sales tax credit which is about 2.6k so that’s right around 47k ish. Right now is the best time to sell your Model 3 to Tesla due to the global chip shortage. My car went up in value by 2k in a month through Tesla.

Forgot to add I have 15k miles on the car. Trading up for M3P at end of June!

How are you not getting 45k through Tesla. Im selling them my 2019 model 3 awd with FSD and acceleration boost and got valuation of 44,300. You also gotta factor you get a sales tax credit which is about 2.6k so that’s right around 47k ish. Right now is the best time to sell your Model 3 to Tesla due to the global chip shortage. My car went up in value by 2k in a month through Tesla.

Forgot to add I have 15k miles on the car. Trading up for M3P at end of June!

You don’t get sales Tax Credit in California.

OP Carvana is your best option to sell your Model 3. Part of the reason you aren’t getting any offer is because there are just too many options available right now with California State incentives. You might be lucky to get $40k

Reactions: cwerdna
What history tells us is For a 2 year old used car you should expect 50-70% of what you paid for it. Anything higher then that, be thankful. Cars are almost never an investment, car companies, salesmen, and your personal internal justification to support a want. Vehicles are a depreciating asset, any time you trade/sell a <5 year old car be prepared to take a beating.