Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with the Resale value for my 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very surprised that Tesla gave me a trade-in offer of 57k on a car that cost 59k in Nov 2019. Because of the pandemic, it is low mileage, about 10,000.

The catch is that they have no cars for sale and don't expect to have any until November. The offer expires in August. It seems unlikely they will honor it in 4 months. But even if they drop a bit, that is still a competitive offer. My state offsets the sales tax on trades, so this also saves me about $3000 in taxes.

Reactions: vickh
I was very surprised that Tesla gave me a trade-in offer of 57k on a car that cost 59k in Nov 2019. Because of the pandemic, it is low mileage, about 10,000.

The catch is that they have no cars for sale and don't expect to have any until November. The offer expires in August. It seems unlikely they will honor it in 4 months. But even if they drop a bit, that is still a competitive offer. My state offsets the sales tax on trades, so this also saves me about $3000 in taxes.

wow. I wonder what I'll get for a SR with 20K miles. Do they price w/o trade?

Sorry to the OP, but I would never buy at 2 year old car that:

1) Has (presumably) has earlier growing pains of Model 3 production.
2) Has 2 fewer years of carpool sticker advantage (assuming the OP got the stickers when purchased new).
3) Has no heat pump.
4) May have the older FSD computer that would require an update/additional $1,500.
5) 1/5 the tire life already gone.
6) No power trunk.
7) Glossy black interior trim.
8) 2 years of exposure to the elements and wear & tear.
9) No choice of color to both interior and exterior.
10) Taking a chance on driving/collision history. A car with the acceleration boost added is reasonably assumed to have been used frequently, and hence the car been driven even harder than the already fast LR AWD.

All to save how much versus new? Yes I know prices have gone up since the original thread was started, but the point remains.

Actually according to the YouTube video, the guy went with them all and Vroom gave him the best price for his 2020 model Y, someone else in the video made 9,000 profit on his Model 3. There is shortage on Tesla and the use car market is booming for these cars.

Will post his video below.

Fred

Last edited:
Sorry to the OP, but I would never buy at 2 year old car that:

1) Has (presumably) has earlier growing pains of Model 3 production.
2) Has 2 fewer years of carpool sticker advantage (assuming the OP got the stickers when purchased new).
3) Has no heat pump.
4) May have the older FSD computer that would require an update/additional $1,500.
5) 1/5 the tire life already gone.
6) No power trunk.
7) Glossy black interior trim.
8) 2 years of exposure to the elements and wear & tear.
9) No choice of color to both interior and exterior.
10) Taking a chance on driving/collision history. A car with the acceleration boost added is reasonably assumed to have been used frequently, and hence the car been driven even harder than the already fast LR AWD.

All to save how much versus new? Yes I know prices have gone up since the original thread was started, but the point remains.
And he got the federal tax credit when he bought it new.

FWIW, we purchased a black (June) 2018 M3 with 44k miles, FSD, and grandfathered free/included connectivity for $40k about 2 weeks ago. We bought the car in Seattle but are AZ residents, which means no state sales tax on private party sales. As an added bonus, AZ still charges next to nothing for EV registration, which in our case was about $65 for two years. The bottom line is that with FSD, free connectivity, no tax, and nominal registration cost, I think we did pretty well. And it's a great car--glad we finally took the plunge.

We are driving back to AZ next week--first road trip in the M3. Looking forward to the experience.

FWIW, we purchased a black (June) 2018 M3 with 44k miles, FSD, and grandfathered free/included connectivity for $40k about 2 weeks ago. We bought the car in Seattle but are AZ residents, which means no state sales tax on private party sales. As an added bonus, AZ still charges next to nothing for EV registration, which in our case was about $65 for two years. The bottom line is that with FSD, free connectivity, no tax, and nominal registration cost, I think we did pretty well. And it's a great car--glad we finally took the plunge.

We are driving back to AZ next week--first road trip in the M3. Looking forward to the experience.
Should mention our M3 is long range RWD.

wow. I wonder what I'll get for a SR with 20K miles. Do they price w/o trade?
Tesla offered <30k for my 2019 SR w/ AP and 27k mi. Carvana/Carmax/Carshop all came in at 36k. Local dealer came in much better (cash, I didn't buy from them). Even with the sales tax benefit of selling back to Tesla, it didn't make any sense.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh