Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with the Resale value for my 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I should sell my M3 SR+ I bought in Feb. It may finally be a case of making money on a new car instead of it losing 25% when you drive off the lot. I paid the lowest price I ever saw for a Tesla. It only has about 4k miles too, almost brand new!

Nah.

Maybe I should sell my M3 SR+ I bought in Feb. It may finally be a case of making money on a new car instead of it losing 25% when you drive off the lot. I paid the lowest price I ever saw for a Tesla. It only has about 4k miles too, almost brand new!

Nah.

Im still waiting on Vroom quote on my 2019 M3 SR+ @ 28,000 miles. Will post that info as soon as I get it.

Fred

Nah.
Lower than us SR owners? We were 35k. Half Federal EV credit (did any SR's get sold early enough for the full 7500 Fed EV rebate?). However I did jump in on the 2k AP upgrade. I think the Canadians have an SR- also which is even cheaper!

Tesla offered <30k for my 2019 SR w/ AP and 27k mi. Carvana/Carmax/Carshop all came in at 36k. Local dealer came in much better (cash, I didn't buy from them). Even with the sales tax benefit of selling back to Tesla, it didn't make any sense.
wow. I would sell but similar to my house I can't downsize so I'd pay more when buying. Unless we get another tax credit soon

Reactions: hcdavis3
Lower than us SR owners? We were 35k. Half Federal EV credit (did any SR's get sold early enough for the full 7500 Fed EV rebate?). However I did jump in on the 2k AP upgrade. I think the Canadians have an SR- also which is even cheaper!

I'm in your boat. Lowest price new Tesla but the 2k AP upgrade made it pretty close to SR+ . Wonder if any of the resale price algorithms factor in SR vs SR+ (besides TSLA direct).

Also my car display still reads SR. Range is 190 max though. I wish they'd offer an option for range upgrade option

I'm in your boat. Lowest price new Tesla but the 2k AP upgrade made it pretty close to SR+ . Wonder if any of the resale price algorithms factor in SR vs SR+ (besides TSLA direct).

Also my car display still reads SR. Range is 190 max though. I wish they'd offer an option for range upgrade option
220 original range went to 200 quickly then fluctuated between 190 and 198 for over a year. Then I did a few cycles where I ran it down to 10pct waited an hour before going to 90. It didn't do anything immediately for me... but last month before I sold it.... 205!

It didn't look like the 2k ap factored into any of the offers I got... so if anyone has a base sr... you could. Make some good money!

• Helpful
Reactions: vickh
220 original range went to 200 quickly then fluctuated between 190 and 198 for over a year. Then I did a few cycles where I ran it down to 10pct waited an hour before going to 90. It didn't do anything immediately for me... but last month before I sold it.... 205!

It didn't look like the 2k ap factored into any of the offers I got... so if anyone has a base sr... you could. Make some good money!

I routinely run it 10-50%. I'll try the 90% b/f I sell. Do Carvana etc even care/check?

With these crazy prices for used, we decided to pull the trigger on a new Model Y. Supposed to be ready second half of September.

Now, I have to figure out how to optimize sale of our current Model 3. 2018 LR RWD with 26,500 miles, EAP but no FSD. Vroom and Carvana both offered $37K. Carmax asked for us to bring the car in for an appraisal. Tesla's trade-in offer is $39,700, but the offer expires before our Model Y will be ready.

I know we can sell it privately for more, but I don't enjoy the experience.

I guess we just wait a bit longer and see what Tesla offers at the beginning of September?

With these crazy prices for used, we decided to pull the trigger on a new Model Y. Supposed to be ready second half of September.

Now, I have to figure out how to optimize sale of our current Model 3. 2018 LR RWD with 26,500 miles, EAP but no FSD. Vroom and Carvana both offered $37K. Carmax asked for us to bring the car in for an appraisal. Tesla's trade-in offer is $39,700, but the offer expires before our Model Y will be ready.

I know we can sell it privately for more, but I don't enjoy the experience.

I guess we just wait a bit longer and see what Tesla offers at the beginning of September?
In the same exact position as you. We have a 2018 LR RWD w/ 22.5k miles, 19", Lifetime Premium connectivity, AP and have gotten trade-in offers ranging from $38k-$41.6k. Tesla was offering way less at $30.6k a few months ago but checked recently and it had gone up to $36.5k ($40.3k w/ 10.4% tax break) so they are actually competitive now.

For the last 3 months I've been pretty regularly checking trade-in offers while we wait for our MY (EDD late Aug/early Sept) and they have been slowly going up but I'm worried the trend won't last.

I've been keeping an eye on private party listings w/ similar specs and they seem to be consistently at $44-46k which seems crazy but I'm not sure what they are ultimately selling for. I've never sold private party before but if people are paying those prices it might be worth trying. There are definitely a few things that make this model attractive to private party buyers that aren't necessarily accounted for in trade-in offers like Lifetime premium connectivity, included Homelink, rainbow effect glass roof, door pocket ambient lighting, slightly bigger frunk, and the efficiency of LR RWD.

Reactions: WattsHappening
In the same exact position as you. We have a 2018 LR RWD w/ 22.5k miles, 19", Lifetime Premium connectivity, AP and have gotten trade-in offers ranging from $38k-$41.6k. Tesla was offering way less at $30.6k a few months ago but checked recently and it had gone up to $36.5k ($40.3k w/ 10.4% tax break) so they are actually competitive now.

For the last 3 months I've been pretty regularly checking trade-in offers while we wait for our MY (EDD late Aug/early Sept) and they have been slowly going up but I'm worried the trend won't last.

I've been keeping an eye on private party listings w/ similar specs and they seem to be consistently at $44-46k which seems crazy but I'm not sure what they are ultimately selling for. I've never sold private party before but if people are paying those prices it might be worth trying. There are definitely a few things that make this model attractive to private party buyers that aren't necessarily accounted for in trade-in offers like Lifetime premium connectivity, included Homelink, rainbow effect glass roof, door pocket ambient lighting, slightly bigger frunk, and the efficiency of LR RWD.
With that tax break, I would think you are going to want to trade in with Tesla. I most likely would if I got another 10% tax credit. But Tesla is offering you less, perhaps taking the tax credit into account?

Agreed about some of the things that make our 2018 model attractive to private buyers. I especially love and will miss the sunset roof! In addition, ours is the discontinued silver color, which might draw someone who really wants that color.

Those private party prices are in line with what I'm seeing down here also. I've always sold private party. I always price at the lower end of the KBB range and sell within a couple of weeks. I'll probably do the same this time as I have added a bunch of stuff that Tesla doesn't value but a private buyer would (new tires, PPF on front end, tinted windows, Tesla logo puddle lights, interior light upgrade, Maxpider all weather mats, trunk and trunk liners, more). But like I said, I really don't enjoy the experience of posting ads, answering ads, meeting potential buyers, haggling, etc. And I worry that this car will attract more looky-loos. It's definitely worth some amount of dollars to be able to bypass this and trade in to Tesla.

Reactions: PNWLeccy