Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Unicorn Model S, X, and M3P

March 2018 and above models, the S I purchased came with MCU2/unlimited supercharging and data access/AP 3.0 (Upgraded)/Bio Filter. However, the new refreshed model s looks tempting but would be a bit ridicules to have two variants of the same car. I doubt I will consider selling the 2018 due to all the perks which will lower the total cost of ownership over the life time the vehicle.

Reactions: viper2ko
The term "unicorn" doesn't specifically mean that exact manufacturer window you're talking about. That's not to say that it can't but if you say "I'm looking for a unicorn" nobody knows you mean exactly that timeframe car. Some will call that group of cars a unicorn and it's not wrong. Others will label the stealth M3 as a unicorn. Others still label cars like the P85D w/Ludicrous & Performance Plus suspension as a unicorn. None of them are wrong, especially if they're loaded and a desirable color combo.

In most automotive circles a "unicorn" is a label given to a rare combination of options, color combo, production numbers, etc. I see people form time to time say "I'm looking for a unicorn" which isn't specific at all. Just trying to clear up some confusion I've seen. The car you describe would likely fit into a unicorn category but just be aware that there are a handful of categories within that "unicorn" label.

It's kind of like saying "I want a Tesla" where you have different models under that label. They're all Teslas but a Model 3 isn't a Model X.

vanwho

spaceship goes zoom
Nov 21, 2020
Hamburg, DE
The later 2016 with AP 2.0 but MCU1 up until Jan 15th 2017 is correct... as they had free SC and connectivity... what makes for a unicorn is that the original owner purchased FSD. Now, they had to redeem the FSD, at which point Tesla would put in AP 3.0 and maybe MCU2. If still only MCU1, $1500 (or 1500€) is a small price to pay for that upgrade with such a unicorn for a Model S/X.

The thing is, the original owner MUST have redeemed the FSD. If they purchased it, but never redeemed it, policy is that Tesla will only redeem it for the original ownerc, so if they are selling and haven't had it redeemed/upgraded yet, make sure they do before the handover (before you purchase), because Tesla won't for you as the new owner.

As far as the best rarest most vauable combo, I would say a late 2016 Model S/X with free superchargig and AP3.0 FSD and MCU and connectivity is the best of all worlds and extemely rare, making for a newest tech car at a great price and free juice forever. Just not the fastest charging speeds anymore.

Reactions: kfly212

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
March 2018 and above models, the S I purchased came with MCU2/unlimited supercharging and data access/AP 3.0 (Upgraded)/Bio Filter. However, the new refreshed model s looks tempting but would be a bit ridicules to have two variants of the same car. I doubt I will consider selling the 2018 due to all the perks which will lower the total cost of ownership over the life time the vehicle.
Your free supercharging is not transferrable, so not there for any potential buyer.

October 2016 is when Tesla added the full "FSD" hardware to the cars. They got rid of TRANSFERABLE Free Unlimited Supercharging by order date on Jan 15th 2017. The Vehicle needed to be delivered by April 2017. The transferable cars will display "no recent supercharging" on the supercharging info on the charging screen in the lower right hand corner. If it has that you should verify with Tesla or a place that can get parts from Tesla (a body shop or repair shop) that the Supercharging code for the car is SC01 that is the absolute truth SC01 that is Tesla's code for Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging. As for the FSD hardware that can be found out on the screen in the car. I just bought a unicorn and I'm looking for more for my kids..... the gift of an amazing car that has the current features it has plus the possible future features and it cost nothing to fuel it if one wants or needs it! They are awesome!

October 2016 is when Tesla added the full "FSD" hardware to the cars. They got rid of TRANSFERABLE Free Unlimited Supercharging by order date on Jan 15th 2017. The Vehicle needed to be delivered by April 2017. The transferable cars will display "no recent supercharging" on the supercharging info on the charging screen in the lower right hand corner. If it has that you should verify with Tesla or a place that can get parts from Tesla (a body shop or repair shop) that the Supercharging code for the car is SC01 that is the absolute truth SC01 that is Tesla's code for Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging. As for the FSD hardware that can be found out on the screen in the car. I just bought a unicorn and I'm looking for more for my kids..... the gift of an amazing car that has the current features it has plus the possible future features and it cost nothing to fuel it if one wants or needs it! They are awesome!
Did you have to pay much of a premium?

Mine is a March 2017 S90D with FSD, and transferrable FUSC for life of car. Upgraded to AP3 and MCU2 last year. Car was ordered in December 2016 when you got the lifetime, transferable FUSC... I guess that meets the OP's definition of a Unicorn. Plus since it spends most of its time parked while I am on travel and just went over 30K miles, it's a "barely ridden unicorn"! :)

Reactions: Ostrichsak

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC