Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorn Model S, X, and M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 2018 and above models, the S I purchased came with MCU2/unlimited supercharging and data access/AP 3.0 (Upgraded)/Bio Filter. However, the new refreshed model s looks tempting but would be a bit ridicules to have two variants of the same car. I doubt I will consider selling the 2018 due to all the perks which will lower the total cost of ownership over the life time the vehicle.

Reactions: viper2ko
The term "unicorn" doesn't specifically mean that exact manufacturer window you're talking about. That's not to say that it can't but if you say "I'm looking for a unicorn" nobody knows you mean exactly that timeframe car. Some will call that group of cars a unicorn and it's not wrong. Others will label the stealth M3 as a unicorn. Others still label cars like the P85D w/Ludicrous & Performance Plus suspension as a unicorn. None of them are wrong, especially if they're loaded and a desirable color combo.

In most automotive circles a "unicorn" is a label given to a rare combination of options, color combo, production numbers, etc. I see people form time to time say "I'm looking for a unicorn" which isn't specific at all. Just trying to clear up some confusion I've seen. The car you describe would likely fit into a unicorn category but just be aware that there are a handful of categories within that "unicorn" label.

It's kind of like saying "I want a Tesla" where you have different models under that label. They're all Teslas but a Model 3 isn't a Model X.

The later 2016 with AP 2.0 but MCU1 up until Jan 15th 2017 is correct... as they had free SC and connectivity... what makes for a unicorn is that the original owner purchased FSD. Now, they had to redeem the FSD, at which point Tesla would put in AP 3.0 and maybe MCU2. If still only MCU1, $1500 (or 1500€) is a small price to pay for that upgrade with such a unicorn for a Model S/X.

The thing is, the original owner MUST have redeemed the FSD. If they purchased it, but never redeemed it, policy is that Tesla will only redeem it for the original ownerc, so if they are selling and haven't had it redeemed/upgraded yet, make sure they do before the handover (before you purchase), because Tesla won't for you as the new owner.

As far as the best rarest most vauable combo, I would say a late 2016 Model S/X with free superchargig and AP3.0 FSD and MCU and connectivity is the best of all worlds and extemely rare, making for a newest tech car at a great price and free juice forever. Just not the fastest charging speeds anymore.

Reactions: kfly212
March 2018 and above models, the S I purchased came with MCU2/unlimited supercharging and data access/AP 3.0 (Upgraded)/Bio Filter. However, the new refreshed model s looks tempting but would be a bit ridicules to have two variants of the same car. I doubt I will consider selling the 2018 due to all the perks which will lower the total cost of ownership over the life time the vehicle.
Your free supercharging is not transferrable, so not there for any potential buyer.

October 2016 is when Tesla added the full "FSD" hardware to the cars. They got rid of TRANSFERABLE Free Unlimited Supercharging by order date on Jan 15th 2017. The Vehicle needed to be delivered by April 2017. The transferable cars will display "no recent supercharging" on the supercharging info on the charging screen in the lower right hand corner. If it has that you should verify with Tesla or a place that can get parts from Tesla (a body shop or repair shop) that the Supercharging code for the car is SC01 that is the absolute truth SC01 that is Tesla's code for Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging. As for the FSD hardware that can be found out on the screen in the car. I just bought a unicorn and I'm looking for more for my kids..... the gift of an amazing car that has the current features it has plus the possible future features and it cost nothing to fuel it if one wants or needs it! They are awesome!

October 2016 is when Tesla added the full "FSD" hardware to the cars. They got rid of TRANSFERABLE Free Unlimited Supercharging by order date on Jan 15th 2017. The Vehicle needed to be delivered by April 2017. The transferable cars will display "no recent supercharging" on the supercharging info on the charging screen in the lower right hand corner. If it has that you should verify with Tesla or a place that can get parts from Tesla (a body shop or repair shop) that the Supercharging code for the car is SC01 that is the absolute truth SC01 that is Tesla's code for Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging. As for the FSD hardware that can be found out on the screen in the car. I just bought a unicorn and I'm looking for more for my kids..... the gift of an amazing car that has the current features it has plus the possible future features and it cost nothing to fuel it if one wants or needs it! They are awesome!
Did you have to pay much of a premium?

Mine is a March 2017 S90D with FSD, and transferrable FUSC for life of car. Upgraded to AP3 and MCU2 last year. Car was ordered in December 2016 when you got the lifetime, transferable FUSC... I guess that meets the OP's definition of a Unicorn. Plus since it spends most of its time parked while I am on travel and just went over 30K miles, it's a "barely ridden unicorn"! :)

Did you have to pay much of a premium?
I just bought a partial unicorn 6 months ago. December 2016 model x fully loaded but 75.. unlimited charging and fsd. I would consider a p100d version of my car a full unicorn (probably only a few exists) ...

While shopping I notice a lot of people knew what they were looking for. I tried to pull a fast one and hit up cars that look like unicorns but owners might not know to get a deal. Turns out a lot have lost their free charging and most in 2016 don't have fsd hardware and can't be upgraded. The approx mark up to have everything was about 20k on top of market rate of the same car without either

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
I'll humbly suggest I got a better deal than the late 2016/early 2017 people. My 2019 was ordered on the first day FUSC was offered for the Raven (Aug. 3).

I earlier had a S90D and the Raven has 60% faster supercharging speed and 30+% more range, and we know the 90's have had their supercharging speed reduced.
Plus since it spends most of its time parked while I am on travel and just went over 30K miles
So how much has the FUSC saved you? Mine has already saved over $3,000.
I would consider a p100d version of my car a full unicorn (probably only a few exists) ...
Yes, those are the only late 2016/early 2017 cars with supercharging speed even close to mine. And what did they cost new? $130K? And the slower charging S90D's like my first car were still ~$100K.

What do I not have that the late 2016/early 2017 cars do? The supercharging is not transferrable and I'm paying $10/month for the connectivity after the first year. But Model S prices were slashed due to soft demand while Model 3 was being introduced. My car was only $90K, and that included AP3 and FSD which was only $6K then. I only got 1/4 of the old federal tax credit but I got the California rebate before it was removed for expensive cars in Dec. 2019.

My car is not all that rare. I think all Raven Models S from Aug-Dec. 2019 had FUSC and the attractive pricing. The pricing got even more attractive in 2020 with the $69,420 base price, but those cars had no FUSC and FSD was $10K I think. Combine those factors with no more tax credits/rebates and I believe the late 2019's were the better deal.

The value of FUSC depends on how much of your driving is on road trips. In my case it's 40+% so FUSC is more valuable to me than to most Tesla owners. And I would not be doing as extensive road tripping with the lesser range/slower charging of the S90D.

Last edited:
I'll humbly suggest I got a better deal than the late 2016/early 2017 people. My 2019 was ordered on the first day FUSC was offered for the Raven (Aug. 3).

I earlier had a S90D and the Raven has 60% faster supercharging speed and 30+% more range, and we know the 90's have had their supercharging speed reduced.

So how much has the FUSC saved you? Mine has already saved over $3,000.

Yes, those are the only late 2016/early 2017 cars with supercharging speed even close to mine. And what did they cost new? $130K? And the slower charging S90D's like my first car were still ~$100K.

What do I not have that the late 2016/early 2017 cars do? The supercharging is not transferrable and I'm paying $10/month for the connectivity after the first year. But Model S prices were slashed due to soft demand while Model 3 was being introduced. My car was only $90K, and that included AP3 and FSD which was only $6K then. I only got 1/4 of the old federal tax credit but I got the California rebate before it was removed for expensive cars in Dec. 2019.

My car is not all that rare. I think all Raven Models S from Aug-Dec. 2019 had FUSC and the attractive pricing. The pricing got even more attractive in 2020 with the $69,420 base price, but those cars had no FUSC and FSD was $10K I think. Combine those factors with no more tax credits/rebates and I believe the late 2019's were the better deal.

The value of FUSC depends on how much of your driving is on road trips. In my case it's 40+% so FUSC is more valuable to me than to most Tesla owners. And I would not be doing as extensive road tripping with the lesser range/slower charging of the S90D.
If you bought in the 90k range you did get an extremely good deal, I'm still seeing true 2016 model x unicorns (Oct to dec) go for almost what you paid for your S new. True Model S 2016 unicorns (June to dec) 60 to 70k used (p100d, fsd, fusc sc01 not sc04 or sc05, free internet)
Only drawback is newer models don't carry the charging but all that matters for now is you have it and making very good use of it.

If you bought in the 90k range you did get an extremely good deal, I'm still seeing true 2016 model x unicorns (Oct to dec) go for almost what you paid for your S new. True Model S 2016 unicorns (June to dec) 60 to 70k used (p100d, fsd, fusc sc01 not sc04 or sc05, free internet)
Only drawback is newer models don't carry the charging but all that matters for now is you have it and making very good use of it.

Wow, that's really nuts. I'm pretty pleased then with my Model X ... it's a 2020, so Raven 6-seater with MCU2, HW3, Full Self Driving and FUSC (for me, anyway) -- not transferrable, but that doesn't mean a thing to me.

If folks are paying in the ~$90k range for a 2016 pre-raven... that's nuts.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 3.36.03 PM.png

Reactions: whitex