Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorn (OEM carbon ceramic) brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So....has anyone other than a professional driver with a significant YouTube following received the privelage to have these brakes installed? It's been a few weeks since the video went up, and I'm beginning to wonder how many Plaids will get the top speed unlock, or will it only ever be a select few.

My card was charged around six weeks ago with the web site saying the parts were in stock. The order kicked off a service appointment for six days later. It has now been rescheduled multiple times. I've asked for someone to give me a call as this working behind a text system is starting to irritate me a bit.

Anyone else get delivery in the US?

Upvote 0
My card was charged around six weeks ago with the web site saying the parts were in stock. The order kicked off a service appointment for six days later. It has now been rescheduled multiple times. I've asked for someone to give me a call as this working behind a text system is starting to irritate me a bit.

Anyone else get delivery in the US?
Track pack currently appears on Tesla's site with the 20" wheels "out of stock", but the CCBs available. A quick search shows used Plaid, equipped with CCB unobtainable, or FTM the brake kit itself (used). Lots of guys I ran into used to pull the PCCB off Porsches, to run cheaper steel rotors. I'd expect at 20k, assuming Tesla gives you your rotors/calipers back, that many would eventually re-sell their plaids on steel, and then see what they could fetch for the ceramics online.

The new pricing has me interested, but good to know what hassles haven't stopped. Too bad, if this doesn't free up. It complicates whether to learn the track software, or risk pulling sensors (&the car) to save (aftermarket?) brakes. Porsche's GT3 had similar problems, over-heating the rears because of stability control. Plenty of less technical tracks, where I'd still think ceramics would really help this sled.

Upvote 0
Tesla got back to me and the brake components are (and have been) at the local service center. Apparently the later (and I do not know when the change was made) production Plaids have different outer lower a-arm ball joints which are needed for the CCB installation front and rear. Mine is a first month production car with the initial style ball joints. They have the front ball joints to support my installation but are still waiting on the rears which are expected in the next one to two weeks.

I do feel better that the brakes were in deed in stock when I ordered and that there is another issue holding up the process.

Upvote 0