Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uninitiated Jack Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
I got the new Air Struts last week.
I just posted this on a Model S 2018.46.2 thread:
Updated to 2018.46.2 last night.
About an hour later, I brought up the notes and decided to check all my settings to make sure nothing had changed.
I brought up Smart Air Suspension to find that my car was in Jack Mode. I had to unplug it from the charger for the button to turn blue so I could disable it. I assumed it had something to do with the SC replacing my front Air Struts last week. I called tech-support to get them to pull the logs for my SC.
The technician at the SC has determined that it doesn’t have anything to do with the work done on my car and it’s somehow related to the firmware update. They escalated it. After driving an plugging it in fore a few hours, it goes back into Jack Mode. (3 times total so far)
Anyone else with this issue on 2018.46.2?
If not, that is probably an incorrect assumption.
image.jpg

I got the new Air Struts last week.
I just posted this on a Model S 2018.46.2 thread:
Updated to 2018.46.2 last night.
About an hour later, I brought up the notes and decided to check all my settings to make sure nothing had changed.
I brought up Smart Air Suspension to find that my car was in Jack Mode. I had to unplug it from the charger for the button to turn blue so I could disable it. I assumed it had something to do with the SC replacing my front Air Struts last week. I called tech-support to get them to pull the logs for my SC.
The technician at the SC has determined that it doesn’t have anything to do with the work done on my car and it’s somehow related to the firmware update. They escalated it. After driving an plugging it in fore a few hours, it goes back into Jack Mode. (3 times total so far)
Anyone else with this issue on 2018.46.2?
If not, that is probably an incorrect assumption.
View attachment 358388
OK,
I just got back from the service center.
They inspected the sensors in my wheels. They said it all looks good. They are still reasonably certain that it is a firmware issue.

I got an explanation from the service center as to what the technicians believe is causing the spontaneous Jack Mode issue with my car.
I’ll do my best to accurately paraphrase what I was told:
Basically it’s a timing/communications issue which I assume, may not affect all configurations the same.
My car is a 2018 Model S 100D AEP 2.5/MCU2 with AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C) Front Right & Front Left.
They do not however believe that the new airspring modules have anything to do with the issue and that it would’ve occurred even if I hadn’t had them replaced.

Apparently, there is some sort firmware issue that results from the “Suspension computer” waking up as little as milliseconds before the rest of the car. The “Suspension Computer” sends a signal to the main computer as to its status. By the time the main computer is awake it has missed communication And assumes there is an issue with the suspension system and puts it in to fail safe (Jack Mode)
Apparently this is an issue that had occurred in a previous version of software that was fixed.
The belief is that it has somehow come back.
I was told that the fix is now in the works and will appear soon in an upcoming software release.

OK,
They inspected the sensors in my wheels. They said it all looks good. They are still reasonably certain that it is a firmware issue.

I got an explanation from the service center as to what the technicians believe is causing the spontaneous Jack Mode issue with my car.
Basically it’s a timing/communications issue which I assume, may not affect all configurations the same.
My car is a 2018 Model S 100D AEP 2.5/MCU2 with AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C) Front Right & Front Left.
They do not however believe that the new airspring modules have anything to do with the issue and that it would’ve occurred even if I hadn’t had them replaced.

Apparently, there is some sort firmware issue that results from the “Suspension computer” waking up as little as milliseconds before the rest of the car. The “Suspension Computer” sends a signal to the main computer as to its status. By the time the main computer is awake it has missed communication And assumes there is an issue with the suspension system and puts it in to fail safe (Jack Mode)
Apparently this is an issue that had occurred in a previous version of software that was fixed.
I was told that the fix is now in the works and will appear soon in an upcoming software release.

I have had this with old struts few times before (not many). The feedback you have paraphrased seems reasonable. I did experience this once again right after installation of new struts and new firmware 2018.46.2 8f8dc1b which happened almost in the same time frame. Have not seen it since. If Tesla is using "message broker" og "service bus" based architecture (my bet) this might easily happen, depending on the implementation of the software that is using it. All-in-all - seems like a software bug. Should be easy to resolve. I am NOT worried.

I have had this with old struts few times before (not many). The feedback you have paraphrased seems reasonable. I did experience this once again right after installation of new struts and new firmware 2018.46.2 8f8dc1b which happened almost in the same time frame. Have not seen it since. If Tesla is using "message broker" og "service bus" based architecture (my bet) this might easily happen, depending on the implementation of the software that is using it. All-in-all - seems like a software bug. Should be easy to resolve. I am NOT worried.
It appears that my issue is not isolated my car or necessarily to the new struts. I got a response from my posting in the Model S 2018.46.X thread:
Actually, I finally got my v9 2018.46.2 update today, P100D March 2017... and I noticed it was also in Jack mode immediately after updating. I turned off Jack mode and have plugged it into charge, so will see what I come back to... but I never experienced this before the v9 update today. So, it figures that it's a bug in this particular firmware.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
OK,

Just got 2018.48.1. Hoping it fixes my uninitiated Jack Mode. Won’t know if it does until tomorrow mornig. It ends up in Jack Mode every morning. I will report then.

I had this happen a bunch of times. One time I didn't realize I was in jack mode and drove off a curb. The car stayed in jack mode and it basically locks the wheels in whatever position they are in when jack mode is activated. It caused me to drive down the street with one wheel locked several inches higher than the other ones which violently shook the whole car.

I stopped the car and turned off jack mode. Car went back to normal.

Just called main service line. Was told that this issue is known to Tesla and affecting other vehicles. Currently on hold as he tries to remotely diagnosis my car...I will update with more information.

"Jack mode will automatically engage if the car feels that some of the vehicles weight is off one of the wheels"

Ok he doesn't think its that anymore.

"its possible that if the car is put in park while parked on a slope, the sudden forward/backward movement of the car between when your foot comes off the brake and when the parking brake actually engages causes the jack sensor to think weight has come off one or more tires and it engages jack mode at that moment"

that wasn't it. back on hold.

getting escalated to the "advanced technical team"

Last edited:
Suddenly, I have also been having this problem for about a month now, which happens both at my work (which is on level ground) and while parked in my garage. A Tesla Ranger was replacing a trim piece for me and noticed it was in jack mode, but niether of us paid much attention to it. Now, every time I get in the car, I check to see if it is in jack mode, and sure enough about 25% of the time it is. :eek:

OP here.
I do have some additional data on this.
An attempt to fix this was made by replacing one of my suspension compressors.
Apparently they found some issue with it by reviewing the logs. They were correct in being skeptical that it would fix the issue.
It did not. They still believe it is a firmware bug.
However, I have done additional testing as a result of the issue appearing to go away when parking overnight at a different location.
At home I always have the suspension set to “Very High” to avoid scraping the driveway.
I can now confirm that my car will always go into Jack Mode overnight when set to Very High. It will not if it is set to High or lower.
I have passed this on to the technician at my SC who is working closely with a Tesla Engineer on this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz and jeffro01
At home I always have the suspension set to “Very High” to avoid scraping the driveway.
I have the exact same situation with my driveway and I have random 'jack mode' appearances too when parked overnight. I am in disbelief that there is no warning on the cluster to say the suspension is in Jack mode, so now every morning I have to go in to settings, suspension, and make sure it is not in Jack mode and make sure it is set still to very high so I don't scrape leaving my driveway.....so much for being at the forefront of vehicle technology.
2018.48.12.1 has not fixed the issue for me.

interesting how a prior software bug came back again.
Seen this sort of thing a few times with Tesla (anyone with Spotify knows that with each update they may or may not be able to sign in, pot luck with each update, fixed, broken, fixed, broken, very annoying).

Last edited:
I have the exact same situation with my driveway and I have random 'jack mode' appearances too when parked overnight. I am in disbelief that there is no warning on the cluster to say the suspension is in Jack mode, so now every morning I have to go in to settings, suspension, and make sure it is not in Jack mode and make sure it is set still to very high so I don't scrape leaving my driveway.....so much for being at the forefront of vehicle technology.
2018.48.12.1 has not fixed the issue for me.

Seen this sort of thing a few times with Tesla (anyone with Spotify knows that with each update they may or may not be able to sign in, pot luck with each update, fixed, broken, fixed, broken, very annoying).

The car will exit jack Mode at 4.5 mph according to the manual. I have observed it consistently happening at 7 mph. I’m guessing it’s just a lag in time to update the air suspension settings display.
I wouldn’t worry about the height. In my experience, It always remains very high. Jack Mode just disables the automatic leveling function. My SC technician explained that without the Jack Mode, the car goes crazy trying to level the car when they put it on the lifts.

It also happen to me when I park at my parent's house. It's at the end of a gravel driveway full of pots and holes, so I set the car to "very high". When I park there, If I allow the car to go to sleep, it automatically enters "jack mode".
There is no need to unset it, when I drive away it goes back to "very high" as soon as I drive over 8-10 km/h

I have the same since a few weeks with new software. I always drive in my garage in the highest mode needed due to the angle getting in the garage. When I want to leave one day later ithe suspension is in jack mode, car of course very low. Until now I notice this and correct the problem but if forget I for sure will damage the battery when driving out of the garage.

Okay so one of the things Tesla wanted me to try was putting my X in high instead of very high and jack mode was NOT enabled when the car woke up this morning after being asleep all night. So this is an improvement for me which I'll let Tesla know about on Monday.

Jeff