Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended Acceleration - Accidentally Engaged TACC? (Roll eyes, prepare to flame me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you everyone for the replies and help solving this. It does seem to appear that I turned on TACC when I tried to put it in Drive, when it was already in Drive. That seemed like a key point of error for me too, even though I couldn’t figure out why that would be.

The only sticking point for me is, I could swear I put my foot on the brake before I put it in Drive. That should have canceled the TACC. I’ve been doing that same maneuver for 34 years. Hard to believe this one time, I didn’t. So, maybe still there was an error, I don’t know.

Nevertheless, I did learn from you all that you can put the car in TACC from a stop, which I didn’t know before. I know, RTFM. But I have, and I guess I missed that. I would agree though with the comment above that in this case maybe the UX is not ideal, or needs some improvement.

thanks for the help! Hopefully it will help me and other avoid this in the future.

I've had this exact thing happen to me. I'm not 100% sure of what the exact conditions are, and if it requires a car in front of you, but there are scenarios where you are in hold, can have your foot on the break, etc. and then you think you are shifting into drive but you are activating TACC. Things seem perfectly normal right until the car in front of you moves out of the way.

I think this is a bit of a UX problem, especially for people coming from traditional cars. It's so easy to forget you aren't in park, the car manages that transition between hold, park, drive, etc. so seamlessly.

Whereas in a traditional car that's a bit of a big deal. The shift to Drive and the activation of TACC is the same motion, indicator isn't directly in line of sight, etc. Personally I think some kind of logic that required a little bit extra would be appropriate in the scenario when you are stopped. It wouldn't bother me to have to pull down 2x when stopped to activate TACC but then you end up colliding with the Autosteer command. Maybe some kind of noise or whatever. This is a car that complains if you close a console door impolitely, maybe we can get a little beep before it accelerates on its own?

Thank you everyone for the replies and help solving this. It does seem to appear that I turned on TACC when I tried to put it in Drive, when it was already in Drive. That seemed like a key point of error for me too, even though I couldn’t figure out why that would be.

The only sticking point for me is, I could swear I put my foot on the brake before I put it in Drive. That should have canceled the TACC. I’ve been doing that same maneuver for 34 years. Hard to believe this one time, I didn’t. So, maybe still there was an error, I don’t know.

Nevertheless, I did learn from you all that you can put the car in TACC from a stop, which I didn’t know before. I know, RTFM. But I have, and I guess I missed that. I would agree though with the comment above that in this case maybe the UX is not ideal, or needs some improvement.

thanks for the help! Hopefully it will help me and other avoid this in the future.

On the RTFM thing... the issue (and I dont mean this is necessarily a bad thing, but...) with tesla and manuals is, they revise it "fairly" often. You read the manual... so did I.... cover to cover, a few times in fact. Problem is, it was the manual that was in effect when I got my car, which for me was 2018. I have several other newer revisions, from newer software versions, that I have downloaded since then, and have "looked up" stuff in them but have not read them cover to cover.

So, dont beat yourself up on the "RTFM" thing. I read the manual for every car I buy, and even I havent read all the various model 3 manuals that we have now.

Reactions: Stellavator
Here's one for you. Ever braked at the same time as AP/TACC?

Yes. As mentioned, depressing the brake pedal immediately disengaged AP/TACC.

Or swerved at the same moment as AP?

I have never had AP "swerve" other than "noping" out of lane changes several revisions ago, so I can't speak to this.

On multiple occasions AP has matched my maneuvers such that I staying in AP.

This, I have done. It's a strange sensation, but a nifty one.

Oh no. Am I running on HW3?

You are HW3. Please get better at maneuvering in parking lots :)

This is clearly a UX issue.

Tesla assigned multiple functions to the same control mechanism so of course people are going to have mode confusion.

To enter the mode you wanted required you to remember which mode you were in. This is a UX failure.

There are a number of complete UX failures with the Model 3/Y.

The Gear Shift Stalk has multiple assignments
There is no on/off/interval settings for the wiper. There is only one physical control for single wipe
There is no blind spot indicator in the mirrors

On the whole Tesla does a great job at UX over the entire ownership experience (car, chargers, app, etc), but a lousy job when it consist of a driver centric UX experience.

Yes, everything is a toggle switch, not set switch which sucks sometimes. Like the blinkers, sometimes i use the short blinks toggle, sometimes the constant blinks toggle and sometimes I forget which one i'm in so I end up doing a reverse blink of the one I was in because it was in the 3 blink mode already and didn't have to cancel it.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I had a very similar thing happen to me as well in my MS recently. Coming into a Supercharger area, next to a Fred Meyer gas station that also had a tanker truck sitting directly ahead of me. Scared the bejeezus out of me!! I'm new to using my MS in TACC or Autopilot, so I figured it was just something that I did wrong. Nevertheless..... I'll be paying WAY better attention next time! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone :)