Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended Accleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was less disorienting coming from an automatic with heavy engine braking and a manual. The regenerative braking isn't that much different.
True. Similarly, I had such vehicles myself. I drove truck (as in 40 ton, 20 ton, etc.) stick shift, some old cars that as you said slowed when foot came off, etc.. I'm amazed how far modern cars roll. Tech has improved a lot! Either that, or they just make them better.

The one thing I liked about German cars was how well they stopped. I miss that. But I was spoiled with a one-in-a-kind SBC feature that has been discontinued not because of how good it is but because of maintenance costs.

Anyway, if someone realizes the car behaves different, take the time to learn it.

The old rule of thumb is try everything, start cautiously, learn about it, and see how it works. Don't push it too far, and test it out a little. Then remember that, and get used to it. Practice on occasion so you don't forget. It took me many months to get used to driving a Tesla properly. I still wasn't all the way into it by the time I sold it, but it had been "comfortable" and unconscious for about 5 weeks when the day came (to part with it). :(

I'd argue that turning on your turn signal late in your turn or right before your turn is already a problem.

Sure, no disagreement there. But it happens. And obviously blinking late is much less dangerous than unintended accelerating is...

You shouldn't be braking during a turn anyway under normal circumstances.

It isn't braking in this case but using the regen to slow the car down. Actual braking would override the CC anyway.

If you're taking a corner so fast that maintaining your current speed for the few seconds it takes you to realize you've enabled CC causes you to lose control, then you were taking the corner too fast in the first place.

I think this is the part where we are just better off agreeing to disagree. :)