TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unintended consequence of buying a Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by benf, Dec 14, 2015.

1. benf

benf Member

It would appear that there has been an unintended consequence of buying the Tesla: I am completely out of gum at work because I no longer stop at the gas station. This is extremely concerning. I will have to change my shopping habits at the grocery store/costco and stock up on gum there now instead. I knew about range anxiety, but the gum anxiety really came out of nowhere.

2. tstafford

tstafford Member

Charging at home is the best part of ownership, plus all the other awesome parts of ownership!

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Kind of gummed up the works, didn't it.

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

Quite the opposite, actually.

5. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I have two Unintended consequences of owning a Tesla.

1. I am no longer able to participate in conversations about gas prices. I am actually at the point where I have not looked in so long - I don't remember how much gas is a gallon.

2. I no longer get the social interaction while pumping gas (usually around 10pm) from the guy asking for a couple of bucks to put gas in his car.

6. f-stop

f-stop Member

I'm only a couple weeks into ownership but was just wondering yesterday if should I pull up to the self-serve pumps at the neighbourhood gas station, you know, for old times sake. But what would I do there? (I don't chew gum, or buy lotto tickets). I guess I could take a free paper towel...

7. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I've heard of some Tesla owners who still stop at gas stations to wash the car's windows. :)

8. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Buy one pack of gum at Costco and you should be set for the year...

9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Closet full of clothes from Outlet Centers.

Why? Cause Tesla put their superchargers next to them. What else I'm I supposed to do?

It was completely nefarious and wiped out my gas savings.

*shakes fist*

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

11. Caligula

Caligula Member

#12 Caligula, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

12. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

^^^ This. My first Supercharger stop cost me $700 at Vacaville Premium Outlets. :scared:

13. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

I'm going to go delete the "Gas Buddy" app from my phone. No longer relevant.

14. f-stop

f-stop Member

just encountered another (and perhaps ironic) unintended consequence of trading in my ICE for a Tesla...

arrived home today in my Model S and had to move my wife's ICE SUV which was parked on the driveway and blocking my entry to the garage. Turned the key but found the SUV's battery had died... needs a jump start! (Might be due to it hardly being driven since I got my MS?)

Well, I DO still have my old jumper cables in the garage, but......

luckily a friend happens to be coming by later tonight, he has a car.

15. lucy

lucy bluehair

I deleted the "Pure Gas" app from my phone, locator for non-ethanol blend gas.
    it was a happy moment! Non-ethanol gas is almost as rare as Superchargers 'round here...

16. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

I have a 1980 BMW 320i project car that I drive maybe a few times a month. Its a manual transmission car, and everything is manual, do-it-yourself, which I like. You can't even lock the driver's door with the door lock button, you have to close the door and lock it with the key.

Took it out a week ago on some errands. Parked it at the store, went in and took my time shopping and browsing. Came back out, car wouldn't start. I had left the lights on. I have never done something like that before in my life.

I have also previously attempted to switch the car off by pressing on the windshield wiper stalk. Didn't work, and what surprised me was how long I actually tried pressing on the stalk before realizing what I was doing...

17. asudan

asudan Member

I left my wife's Highlander running for a few hours the other day. I had to move it and when I was done I just jumped out and walked away... oops!

18. green1

green1 Active Member

I wish I could get to that point, but I drive an ICE for work (and it's a piece of ____!!!) so I actually spend more time in it than in the Tesla (makes me sad :( ) so I'm far more likely to spend time grasping for a non-existent key on the MS than to forget to turn off an ICE

19. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

My dd loves it so much that now she can't imagine having an ICE for her first car. the horror!