Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended consequences of naming my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we picked up our new Tesla in June of 2015 I decided to let the kids, 7 & 9, pick her name. Because they were an integral part of it and because they were there when we christened her with her new name they felt like Evie became a part of the family. As software updates came out and Evie began to do things like parallel park herself, the kids thought she was learning and growing up. When A/P was released and Evie could effectively drive herself the kids literally squealed with excitement that she had learned something new. I share all of this because doing the simple thing of letting them name our new car and allowing them to be part of our new Tesla ownership the kids treat Evie with more respect than I have ever seen towards an object. They take great care with putting their rolling backpacks in the car to and from school. When we have to do the very seldom stop by for fast food, they take great care keeping Evie clean. When she gets dirty from rain, they inform me that Evie needs a bath LOL LOL.

All of this said, I just wanted to share how the simple act of allowing the kids to participate in our new car ownership changed everything about how they look at a car.
The next Tesla should get wrapped with a brown vinyl and named WALL-E

I hope the oddity you are referring to is the name and not the 30mile average of 835Wh/mi.
Ha! Good point. Not being certain of how that figure is computed, I'm uncertain as to why the energy value is so high. I had driven the car perhaps 100 yds at most at the point the picture was captured, so the rest of the miles were pre-delivery. My recollection of the odometer reading at delivery is that it was considerably lower than 30 miles, so I'm guessing the alarming energy number is an artifact of a short (but perhaps pretty aggressive) test drive fed into whatever algorithm they are using. Perhaps a topic for another forum thread: odometer and energy readings at deliver.

Last edited: