Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended Consequences....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd share the experience I had today at the service center..in my view, a new policy (at least new to me) that aims to provide a "better" customer experience is coming along with some unintended consequences...

My 2013 P85+ started making a cracking (yes cracking) noise from the rear anytime weight was distributed upon it. Think, moving from a stopped position or driving uphill or turning a corner. About the same time I notices this, my car which has the air suspension won't actually go to low. I say actually because it shows "low" on the screen but the ride height does not change from the standard height.

Anyhow, today when I took the car in, they had me do a ride along with a service advisor to see if they could recreate the noise and also the suspension issue. And sure enough he confirmed both. But this is what I think is an unintended consequence..

He told me now that he has confirmed there is an issue he will research the issue, check the logs and get back to me. mind you, there is a CRACKING noise coming from the rear of my car. When I prodded him on why this new approach of not at least physically taking a look at the car he told me it was a new policy to help reduce the amount of time people are away from their cars for repairs. I mean hey given the problems they are experiencing I get it but I think its a bad decision to make people come in, verify a legitimate problem and then just send them on their way while you do "research."

Would have felt MUCH better if they would have at least physically inspected the car :/

• Informative
Reactions: MS16 and gowthamn
Yes I completely agree that it's not a very good way of dealing with wait times. Not only does it affect those with more serious issues, it also affects those of us who are far from a service center.
I noticed a creaking sound coming from the camera area after they had replaced my windshield and I was told to drive 1 hour to the SC, have them listen to the sound, and then make another appointment to come in again to fix the issue.
Wasted 4 hours by driving back and fourth. In the end they didn't even fix the issue, but I'll hold off till my 1st service

Tesla started with 'valet' service where they would retrieve and return your car, now they expect owners to bring the car to them at different phases of the repair process? Bring it in for the research phase, go away, return for the troubleshooting phase, what???

Why doesn't Tesla just send the Ranger out for the first phase instead of wasting people's time by making customers bring in their car multiple times

could it be that they already have data points about this issue and a visual inspection isn't needed?

Could it be? Sure that could 1000000% be it and Tesla is a perfect company that has a bonafide perfect reason for everything they do. And if that were the case, then I don't understand what they need to go "research" as they ought to be able to tell me on the spot given that they "already have data points about this issue and [no further inspection is necessary]." But alas that wasn't the case.

Furthermore, I believe anytime a person comes in with a drivability issue the car should be visually inspected. Since you like playing the "what if?" game..what if a suspension arm is damaged and about to break on my car? What if it breaks while I am driving on the freeway sending me into a wall and killing me?

Reactions: alcibiades