TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sp4rk, Dec 10, 2012.

1. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Just curious, reading a story of Obama in Detroit addressing unions; are there unions at the Tesla factory, does anyone know?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No unions at Tesla currently.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

There isn't one now. But, Elon said (in a Fox Business News interview - at the 04:24 mark - a few months ago) that Tesla's neutral about it; no restrictions in case the workers at the factory would like to unionize but, there's apparently no desire to.

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Thanks ... hadn't seen that video ... love the "tsunami of HURT"!!!

5. fengshui

fengshui Member

Legally, Elon has to say that. What his actual opinions on the matter are cannot be discerned from public statements to the press.

6. Lynn005

Lynn005 Member

Of course he wants to make money for the shareholders, but he has to this point recognized the value of happy employees. I have never met such enthusiastic people with a passion for their product.

7. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Sounds like a group very unlikely to need or want a third party to represent them to management. Generally speaking, employees only seek a union when their relationship with management is dysfunctional or broken and they need a third party to stand in for them. I don't think Tesla will have that issue, even with the historical unionization of the NUMMI plant, and many former workers coming to Tesla who were used to being in a union. No one wants dues taken out of the check unless they need something specifically for the union to do on their behalf with management.

8. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

Directly from Elon - the more I read about him, the more I like him!:

“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an *******, they had recourse.’
    “I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no *******s.’ I fired someone for being an *******. And I only had to do that once, actually.”

*edit* note - the tesla motors club website did a great job of redacting the language! Read the article for the colorful version :biggrin:

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I can't because the redacting killed the link!

http ://www .businessinsider.com/teslas-elon-musk-no-need-for-unions-just-fire-the-*******s-2009-6

But replace those *s with ***hole and you get there pretty easily.

10. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

:rolleyes:

11. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member