Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't one now. But, Elon said (in a Fox Business News interview - at the 04:24 mark - a few months ago) that Tesla's neutral about it; no restrictions in case the workers at the factory would like to unionize but, there's apparently no desire to.

Legally, Elon has to say that. What his actual opinions on the matter are cannot be discerned from public statements to the press.

Of course he wants to make money for the shareholders, but he has to this point recognized the value of happy employees. I have never met such enthusiastic people with a passion for their product.

Sounds like a group very unlikely to need or want a third party to represent them to management. Generally speaking, employees only seek a union when their relationship with management is dysfunctional or broken and they need a third party to stand in for them. I don't think Tesla will have that issue, even with the historical unionization of the NUMMI plant, and many former workers coming to Tesla who were used to being in a union. No one wants dues taken out of the check unless they need something specifically for the union to do on their behalf with management.

Directly from Elon - the more I read about him, the more I like him!:

“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an *******, they had recourse.’
“I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no *******s.’ I fired someone for being an *******. And I only had to do that once, actually.”

*edit* note - the tesla motors club website did a great job of redacting the language! Read the article for the colorful version :biggrin: