TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unique ICE risk

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by TNEVol, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

2. skdave

skdave Member

I warmed up my Tesla for the first time in the garage with the door down. Not use to that yet. Love it.

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Funny, I guess I never (inherently) thought about it. That A, I would never consider this for my ICE (which has remote start), or B, that I'm already doing it with my Model S now... especially while it's on shore power.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I just like the idea that my garage is not turned into a sauna when my wife and I get home in the afternoon. Both ICE cars used to get it to a full bake before :)

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

Having had a friend die last year due to parking in his garage while the last of the song played on the car radio (evidently), I was surprised that there are only about 20 deaths per year from CO due to ICE exhaust.

But the question remains: Should NHTSA investigate??!

6. Thumper

Thumper Member

It looks like an obvious design flaw to me. All those tail pipes could easily be bent upward after they pass the rear bumper and end above the car, like a semi. There should definitely be an investigation and recall of all ICEs!

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think we should retitle this thread to match the sensationalism we see a lot of lately:
    Of course, someone will pull out statistics in a year that will show that someone died in his/her garage from carbon monoxide poisoning and further note that there is no evidence that another vehicle was in the garage at the time. From this it will be claimed that it's inconclusive and we'll start a whole new excelgasm with confidence intervals and such.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I suspect that's because most garages are quite leaky.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Eep! Do they think it was intentional, Rob?

10. Zextraterrestrial

Maybe ICE car makers should all be sued for the chronic poisoning of millions of people and animals..

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's terrible about your friend. Sorry to hear that.

That said, surely it takes much longer than one song to create enough CO to render someone unconscious...???