Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unique issue. Is later VIN better?

Is a later VIN model 3 always better?

• Yes

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 62.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
long story short.

I wanted to downgrade from 19” to aero. They said they would try. I said I didn’t want to go lower in VIN to do so 94XX. Today they said they changed it and I go to Mytesla and I’m 85XX.

Throw a fit? Or does it not matter?
You should treat another human as you would want to be treated so do not throw a fit. However, you are spending over $50k for a car, so you deserve what you want.

Reactions: Tiger and Nurkbonis
long story short.

I wanted to downgrade from 19” to aero. They said they would try. I said I didn’t want to go lower in VIN to do so 94XX. Today they said they changed it and I go to Mytesla and I’m 85XX.

I have VIN 1986. It is even a 2017 (gasp!). I have not had a single problem with my car yet (other than software bugs that I don't count since they are universal). There is a small rattle in the passenger pillar and some minor wind noise when driving in a crosswind at highway speeds. Nothing that has driven me back to the service center yet. Total of 3500 miles at this point. First service center visit will be to rotate my tires.

However, folks both before and after me have had major issues. You just never can tell.

I don't think we are to VINs high enough for there to be a big difference in quality yet. You need to wait until the VINs get well into the 5 digits for that I would guess. Your two VINs may have been made within 2 weeks or less of each other for all we know.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I have not had a single problem with my car yet (other than software bugs that I don't count since they are universal). There is a small rattle in the passenger pillar and some minor wind noise when driving in a crosswind at highway speeds. Nothing that has driven me back to the service center yet.

You are doing Tesla (and everyone after you) a disservice by saying these are non-issues. You should have them fixed so they know what was wrong and they can improve later versions.

Reactions: Carnook
long story short.

85xx and 94xx are the same batch of VINs and, for all we know, could have rolled off the assembly line next to each other. The difference is simply because 83xx..92xx are all 18"s and 93xx..100xx are all 19"s.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Since when ( before model 3 production) did anyone on this PLANET ever care about a damn VIN number. We use it to gauge Tesla’s progress and help predict when we might get our car. THAT IS IT.

In sorry but I’m a little bit peeved at this post.

“Should I throw a fit” because it’s lower?

Jesus Christ man.

Interesting. I thought the throw a fit comment would clearly be taken as humor. I am joking. Calm down.

You are doing Tesla (and everyone after you) a disservice by saying these are non-issues. You should have them fixed so they know what was wrong and they can improve later versions.

You assume I am not making bug reports for every software issue I have. I am. However, I see zero value in taking my car to the service center for a software problem only to be told I need to wait for the next update.

I have to assume they still use the bug report feature since they kept it in the Model 3 software.

Are they 2018s in that range? My 89xx was listed as a 2017 on the pro-forma MVPA they sent me

I'd be shocked if they still have any 2017 VINs left to deliver now. I believe I read that someone said that particular form has not been updated yet with the correct year. My VIN is 5YJ3E1EA7JF0072XX. The "J" in the 10th digit location indicates the model year. "J" indicates 2018. The 2017 VINs have "H" in the 10th digit. So if the 10th digit in your VIN is also "J" then you've got a 2018.

More info on decoding Model 3 VINs here: Tesla updates VIN decoder for Model 3 production vehicles

Since when ( before model 3 production) did anyone on this PLANET ever care about a damn VIN number. We use it to gauge Tesla’s progress and help predict when we might get our car. THAT IS IT.

In sorry but I’m a little bit peeved at this post.

“Should I throw a fit” because it’s lower?

Jesus Christ man.
With early Model S owners, the lower the VIN the more prestigious it was. At our Austin owners get-togethers we put our name and VIN numbers on our name tags.

85xx and 94xx are the same batch of VINs and, for all we know, could have rolled off the assembly line next to each other. The difference is simply because 83xx..92xx are all 18"s and 93xx..100xx are all 19"s.

As an observed example of this, a friend ordered his 3 the same day I did. It came on the same truck and we took delivery on the same day. The door plate with VIN and manufacture month on his showed 2/18 and mine showed 1/18. His VIN was ~1200 lower than mine. The cars were identical other than color.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir and PoitNarf
You can take a look at LV Acrobat's VIN tracking spreadsheet in one of the other VIN threads. Your original 94XX VIN represented Midnight Silver with Sport wheels, and your new 85XX VIN represents Midnight Silver with Aero wheels. As others have said, VINs that close together don't necessarily represent the manufacturing order. However, if your new VIN was 39XX, I might start raising my hand.

Reactions: fseir
You can take a look at LV Acrobat's VIN tracking spreadsheet in one of the other VIN threads. Your original 94XX VIN represented Midnight Silver with Sport wheels, and your new 85XX VIN represents Midnight Silver with Aero wheels. As others have said, VINs that close together don't necessarily represent the manufacturing order. However, if your new VIN was 39XX, I might start raising my hand.

Great reply. Main question I have now is why you disagreed with OP? Lol. I just asked two questions.

This will be my 4th electric car. I am in zero rush.. also I think it’s note worthy that I missed AP2 on my X by less than 1000 cars.