Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unique potential purchase situation-questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are at all interested in the auto pilot technology can you should hold out for something newer, or wait and get a model Y.

also, and AP1 pree facelift car Will likely continue to plunge in value over the next couple years. If Ludacris is what you’re most interested in, and keep it for 4-5 years then go for it. 52-54k seems reasonable

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
I'm not sure why people think AP1 cars will plummet in value, as if the only reason to buy a car is for its self driving capabilities.

It's certainly a selling point, but its value is often overstated.

A V1 battery would be a point of concern, but 255 at full charge is not bad. New was 270, so that's only 5.6% degradation which would be normal at that mileage.

Agreed that 52-54k seems like a decent deal for both of you.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I'm not sure why people think AP1 cars will plummet in value, as if the only reason to buy a car is for its self driving capabilities.

A V1 battery would be a point of concern, but 255 at full charge is not bad. New was 270, so that's only 5.6% degradation which would be normal at that mileage.

Thanks for the feedback on price. I feel like autopilot 1 works well enough for the highway. I feel we are a long time off before fully autonomous vehicles that I would feel comfortable actually using and that doesn't even consider regulatory issues.

Given the around 6% degradation how much more is the range going to be affected over say the next 7 years?
Does anyone foresee a time in the future when battery packs degrade so much one would want to swap for a new one and it could be done for a reasonable amount of money? A "reasonable" amount of money... aka less than $9k??

To me 2016 seems “old” considering how quickly Tesla updates technology, and the possibility of unknown/unforeseen problems with the battery and other systems going forward. I’m much more comfortable driving a new Tesla with full 4 year factory warranty.

A deal on a car is not such a deal if one ends up spending significant dollars on service or repairs.

To me 2016 seems “old” considering how quickly Tesla updates technology, and the possibility of unknown/unforeseen problems with the battery and other systems going forward. I’m much more comfortable driving a new Tesla with full 4 year factory warranty.

A deal on a car is not such a deal if one ends up spending significant dollars on service or repairs.

I see your point however the car would have 3 years and 40k more miles of warranty. Also I am not well informed on the subject but is there not a unlimited mileage warrant of the drivetrain and battery or did I just pick that heresay up somewhere along the way? I would love a new Tesla but 54kish for a used one with a 2.8 second 0-60 and still way more tech that I've been used to is preferable to a new model S which is at least $80,000

Thanks for the feedback on price. I feel like autopilot 1 works well enough for the highway. I feel we are a long time off before fully autonomous vehicles that I would feel comfortable actually using and that doesn't even consider regulatory issues.

Given the around 6% degradation how much more is the range going to be affected over say the next 7 years?
Does anyone foresee a time in the future when battery packs degrade so much one would want to swap for a new one and it could be done for a reasonable amount of money? A "reasonable" amount of money... aka less than $9k??

Here is one link on degradation:
https://ww.electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

I took delivery of my car in October where a full charge yielded 251. I put a little more than 4k miles on it so far, bringing the odometer up to 53k. I am now around 250.5 miles at a full charge. Of course there are plenty of people in the "batterygate" thread that have been hit with bigger degradation after Tesla capped the max voltage of each module, so YMMV, no pun intended.

Pack replacements are very expensive - over $10k. There are options beyond going directly through Tesla, however. I expect the cottage industry to pick up to service the packs as the cars age and the 8 year factory warranties start to run out this year. This will give you more options than a new/refurbished pack from Tesla. That said, it still won't be a cheap affair.

Couldn't agree more on the AP1 v AP2+ thing. People who over-inflate the value of AP2 clearly aren't spending their own money because the difference between those two cars in terms of money is substantial. I love my AP1 cars and especially for the price I paid. People who say the value of these cars will plummet also haven't gone back to drive an ICE car for comparison. Still billions of people out there driving those antiquated hunks of steel who will be looking for a good deal on a car that doesn't cost six figures for years to come.

Couldn't agree more on the AP1 v AP2+ thing. People who over-inflate the value of AP2 clearly aren't spending their own money because the difference between those two cars in terms of money is substantial. I love my AP1 cars and especially for the price I paid. People who say the value of these cars will plummet also haven't gone back to drive an ICE car for comparison. Still billions of people out there driving those antiquated hunks of steel who will be looking for a good deal on a car that doesn't cost six figures for years to come.

The funny thing is the whole AP1/AP2 thing was so much more over sensationalized a few years ago. I’m not sure how long you both have owned Tesla’s but finally about honestly 6 months ago or even once they released the whole summon your car update seemed to finally resonate in all those individuals who thought AP1 cars were just a waste and inferior as well as useless compared to AP2 Tesla’s. After that awful showcase of FSD cars struggling to commute at 5mph and constantly hitting things and stopping randomly, seemed to finally turn the light on for most these kind of owners who really thought (no thx to Elon) FSD was just right around the corner (which has been a 4 yr corner lol). It seems like buyers are not as obsessed and understand how far away it really is from ever really happening. From my experience I tend to feel that AP1 actually works better than AP2. They both are nice options to have but the obsession that so many owners and potential owners use to have was not only annoying but comical. I personally don’t think AP2 should have any added value when it comes to to exact cars, one with and one without. Since I know as I am sure you both also do, that we a so far from every being a country/world with driverless cars roaming the streets as soon as tomorrow, like so many would believe or make themselves believe since they most likely wasted the money paying for something that honestly may never even happen.
I also think with the negative news Autopilot has received recently that most somewhat bright owners understand that it really shouldn’t matter much at all as far as costs. Especially since the one thing that is close to happening is Autopilot being banned way before FSD occurs (which would suck as I do appreciate AP in certain situations)
I think most intelligent owners or potential owners understand that it shouldn’t carry much credence anymore. Anyone who still continues to say AP1 cars will plummet is either just pissed about the money they threw away or just plain dumb lol.
I don’t think any of these AP2.5 AP3.0 etc, will even be the hardware that will matter if it ever does come to fruition. I think there will be a FSD4 or FsD 10 moving forward just to keep the hype train going and to keep convincing owners to feel the need to upgrade to stay relevant, sadly enough lol. Also when you really think about it, if you own any performance model the whole FSD shouldn’t even matter that much cuz most of us who do own these models do so because we want and love to drive and enjoy the power , speed and excitement of having a fun and entertaining car, hence why we bought the one we did. Let’s be real you will never see an exotic car ever install FSD, and even tho it’s not the best comparison it still is true for most owners who want to have the performance models cuz it is a blast even if it is a sedan etc.
I know the whole stigma that only cars with FSD etc will matter has faded tremendously but there will always be those owners who just don’t grasp the complications involved living in a world where cars do all the driving.
The price differences even show that TSLA knows this and that their owners have starting to finally lose trust in Elon and his unrealistic timetables for FSD cars. Which I am glad it finally has cuz 3 yrs ago it was like buying a car with AP1 was just a huge mistake and anyone who made the mistake was going to be so mad they did and get left behind with a obsolete and useless car which is so outrageous.
I will say this tho, I won’t be surprised if we actually end up losing AP1 as we know it and have an Autopilot that is no where near as good just cause the high level of attention it has picked up again. I really hope not but so many idiots out there continue to bring negative press and it’s by far the worse than it’s ever been as far as government etc wanting to get involved.
The only people I will give a pass for, are the ones who fell for Elon’s in a perfect world scenario, of owning a bunch of model 3’s that will basically just make you rich while you do nothing. It looks great in paper and even better coming out of the CEO mouth but that was a short lived pipe dream Elon was selling.
I personally think the only was FSD will ever work is if everyone has it otherwise there are way too many variables as well as concerns (especially coming from an insurance stand point) that just make it too risky

I see your point however the car would have 3 years and 40k more miles of warranty. Also I am not well informed on the subject but is there not a unlimited mileage warrant of the drivetrain and battery or did I just pick that heresay up somewhere along the way? I would love a new Tesla but 54kish for a used one with a 2.8 second 0-60 and still way more tech that I've been used to is preferable to a new model S which is at least $80,000

So what year is this P90D? The P90D/P90DL can be the biggest disappointment or the biggest surprise if you don’t or do know what to look for. For being a disappointment it will be a prefacelift since that 2.80 0-60mph ain’t going to happen. However if it’s a facelift P90DL and depending on the manufacturer date, you basically get a P109if you know what too look for.
I will make it easy for you, here’s your checklist if you want to be more the happy with your purchase
1. Facelift
2.manufacturer date 7/2016< or make it easy and check the battery #. These 2 batteries will make you a very happy camper
1088790-00-A and even better 1088792-00-A
If he has either one of these you can expect to get 2.8-3 seconds 0-60mph / 2.6-2.8 0-60 1 ft . It must have ludicrous though and you cannot add it if it doesn’t.
If he has these simple checklist must than you will be stoked.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
So what year is this P90D? The P90D/P90DL can be the biggest disappointment or the biggest surprise if you don’t or do know what to look for. For being a disappointment it will be a prefacelift since that 2.80 0-60mph ain’t going to happen. However if it’s a facelift P90DL and depending on the manufacturer date, you basically get a P109if you know what too look for.
I will make it easy for you, here’s your checklist if you want to be more the happy with your purchase
1. Facelift
2.manufacturer date 7/2016< or make it easy and check the battery #. These 2 batteries will make you a very happy camper
1088790-00-A and even better 1088792-00-A
If he has either one of these you can expect to get 2.8-3 seconds 0-60mph / 2.6-2.8 0-60 1 ft . It must have ludicrous though and you cannot add it if it doesn’t.
If he has these simple checklist must than you will be stoked.

It’s a 2015 pre facelift. It has ludicrous mode. I have to verify battery but it is at 255 miles on full charge. Around 41k miles. 21” wheels, power lift gate, sub zero, air, etc. it’s blue over grey. My friend and I came to an agreement... $52k for the car and I give him my old ICE car with 150k miles with a 3k value. What do you think on the deal? would you buy a new model 3 performance over this deal? The roads in the NE suck which is my only reservation about M3 and it not having air suspension. I like the bigger size or model S, slightly faster, and ability to increase or decrease ride height and better suspension dampening with air suspension.
So basically 55k 2015 P90dL or new Model 3p

Last edited:
I made a similar decision and chose the S. I liked the tan interior, heated steering wheel, normal gauge cluster, presenting door handles, air suspension, more traditional interior, extra room, and the turn signal weight (seriously, the 3 has a heavy turn signal!)

Of course I miss the faster MCU, extra warranty, faster charging, and easier parking, but the tradeoffs worked for me. Only you can know for sure which is best for you.

I made a similar decision and chose the S. I liked the tan interior, heated steering wheel, normal gauge cluster, presenting door handles, air suspension, more traditional interior, extra room, and the turn signal weight (seriously, the 3 has a heavy turn signal!)

Of course I miss the faster MCU, extra warranty, faster charging, and easier parking, but the tradeoffs worked for me. Only you can know for sure which is best for you.

I’m leaning towards the S heavily. I think my plan will be to keep until warranty is up and trade to Tesla for a model Y

It’s a 2015 pre facelift. It has ludicrous mode. I have to verify battery but it is at 255 miles on full charge. Around 41k miles. 21” wheels, power lift gate, sub zero, air, etc. it’s blue over grey. My friend and I came to an agreement... $52k for the car and I give him my old ICE car with 150k miles with a 3k value. What do you think on the deal? would you buy a new model 3 performance over this deal? The roads in the NE suck which is my only reservation about M3 and it not having air suspension. I like the bigger size or model S, slightly faster, and ability to increase or decrease ride height and better suspension dampening with air suspension.
So basically 55k 2015 P90dL or new Model 3p

I’m personally an S guy and have owned 5 of them. I never have owned a Model 3 or wanted one. However the more aftermarket options that continue to keep coming out for the 3 has changed my mind where I would actually buy one now but still prefer the S. As far as the car your looking at it was a huge disappointment for any owners who purchased a P90D from 2015-2016 since they really were no different than the P85D and costed more. But you are buying used so not an issues really. Here are some things that are great.
1. It get 253 miles of range a 100%SOC new. Meaning it has gained 2 miles of range or for your concern has not lost any range. Battery should be in great condition and treated softly to not lose a lot of range

2. The battery will not be as fast as the ones I mentioned unless he had his replaced with one of the V3 batteries. If you really want to know what battery it is I will leave a photo so you can find it just for your own satisfaction.

3. Overall the car is a good deal, I’m not sure if it came with an extended warranty but if it is in good shape than you can’t ask for much more from a 2015 P90DL

The battery number will be behind the passenger side front wheel

E0638E67-474C-4AF2-9134-8DD123517539.jpeg

I’m personally an S guy and have owned 5 of them. I never have owned a Model 3 or wanted one. However the more aftermarket options that continue to keep coming out for the 3 has changed my mind where I would actually buy one now but still prefer the S. As far as the car your looking at it was a huge disappointment for any owners who purchased a P90D from 2015-2016 since they really were no different than the P85D and costed more. But you are buying used so not an issues really. Here are some things that are great.
1. It get 253 miles of range a 100%SOC new. Meaning it has gained 2 miles of range or for your concern has not lost any range. Battery should be in great condition and treated softly to not lose a lot of range

2. The battery will not be as fast as the ones I mentioned unless he had his replaced with one of the V3 batteries. If you really want to know what battery it is I will leave a photo so you can find it just for your own satisfaction.

3. Overall the car is a good deal, I’m not sure if it came with an extended warranty but if it is in good shape than you can’t ask for much more from a 2015 P90DL

The battery number will be behind the passenger side front wheel

View attachment 497984

do you have to turn the wheel a certain way to see the battery sticker?
So the car was a 2015 therefore I believe that means there is a warranty on battery and drivetrain for 3 more years
My friend purchased from Tesla less than a year ago. As I’ve read his 4 year 50,000 mile warranty should transfer to me and I’ll have 3 years 40k miles around remaining.
there are a few minor issues:
a small tear in seat cushion bolster on drivers side. I figure I can get this stiched by an upholsterer eventually. Exterior in great shape cosmetically. No panel gaps, everything lines up
The interior color is grey which has since been discontinued. Kinda worried about longer term wear with a light color... wish it were black. Anyone have any experience with how these hold up?
The center console is just one big empty space. No cubbies or anything... any recommended aftermarket storage system to put in here?
Seeing as he bought the car from Tesla for 61k (plus 2k transport from CA) 10k miles ago I feel 55k is a “fair” deal. If I bought new model 3 performance it would depreciate and I would pay more sales tax on the car at time of purchase.
He will take his winter wheels and tires and I’ll have the 21” with summers. Any Recs for a winter wheel and tire set up. I see t sport line has a 19”package for around 3700. Is this a good value?

I’m waiting on my tesla wall charger to come and and the install to pull the trigger

Last edited: