Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unique potential purchase situation-questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a potential purchase of a 2016 MS P90DL from my best friend. My buddy got the car last spring from Tesla and paid around 62k with 30k miles. The car now has 40k miles on it. So... I am getting my plug hopefully installed in my garage Tuesday and our plan is to establish what a dealer would pay for the car by bringing it to carmax and see what their offer would be and I would then offer more. The issue is really what would be a fair price to pay for the car?
I know about potential 90 battery pack issues... I have to look at the car and see what version battery it is. Right now at 100% it shows a 255mi range... is that "normal" degredation? The car is blue over a light grey interior. Exterior is in excellent shape. Interior is in good shape except a small tear on the side of the seat cushion bolster of the driver's seat. It has 21' wheels, air suspension, sunroof, and free supercharging.
I only see one MS P90DL on teslas website with around 61k miles for around 62k not including the shipping charge... so anyone care to take a guess what they think carmax would offer for the car? I think anywhere from 49-53k and then I think I would offer a few more thousand above their offer. My hope is to not pay over 56k for the car.
IF the offer is super lowball by friend will just keep it. He owes $52k on the car and doesn't want to keep paying the payment with other expenses on the horizon (chiefly a wedding and an high maintenance fiancé). I want the car but I don't want to overpay. I figure if this deal falls through I will keep driving my ICE car and eventually get a performance model Y but from a value standpoint I want to get this deal done... I want my friend to feel he got a fair deal and I don't want to overpay... so what would you think would be a fair amount for both parties?

He's well aware of the danger.

ok so if I buy the car for say 55k is that a "good deal"? I see these cars priced so differently online between different dealerships, private sales, etc If Carfax gives a crap offer he'll just keep it and I don't want to overpay

The prices are all over the board because the differences are extreme. Some have all of the options (in a car where "options" can run $15-20k) and some are clapped-out high-mile turds devoid of all of the options. In these cars more than any other the variables are far too numerous to give an educated guess based on the limited details you've provided. In the end, if you're happy with the price and he is... sounds like a win win. You're overthinking this whole thing.

Reactions: Flyguy
thanks for the quick response. I see what you're saying. I guess I'll see what the carmax offer is and go from there. Deal doesn't get done I'll keep driving my ICE car till it dies and get a M3 or Y performance... but man I like that ludicrous mode!

Do yourself a favor if there's a chance you won't own it and don't drive that car for any extended period or you'll have a hard time going back to ICE.

You will get people on this forum who tell you that $25k is overpriced for that car and some will tell you it's worth $70k because the bottom line is nobody really knows on these things. NADA and KBB are both horribly low based on the market and dealers use this to their advantage to make more profit when they steal them and resell them at market value.

As is with any transaction, the value of the vehicle is what the seller is willing to sell it for and what the buyer is willing to pay. Not a penny more. Not a penny less. This becomes especially important when friends are involved.

Agree. Kbb puts the value of his car at around 60k trade in but we don't know what a dealer will pay. Again Tesla has just one for sale nationwide with 20k more miles for $63k Like I said its a 2015 P90DL with 21'' wheels, power lift gate, autopilot, led lighted handles, sub zero package... I think it's loaded. We will find out what carmax offers and go from there. what he owes on the car is irrelevant really. Like you said it's all about what he's willing to let it go for and what I'm willing to pay with the number being satisfactory to both and the friendship.

I’m gonna guess Carmax offers your friend 43k
If I’m correct, then I’d say the fair price would be 52k.

seems reasonable, thanks for the feedback. like I said car is pretty much 95% exterior, interior is in excellent shape except that small tear in the seat... reparable at an upholstery place or need a need seat... how much is a new seat anyway? its a 2015

ah ok 4 years.
2016 has a wide range of possible configurations that will affect the value. specifically, is it a pre- or post-facelift car? If post-facelift, is it autopilot 1 or autopilot 2?

it's a 2015 I'm pretty sure but if it is a 2016 I has the nose cone fascia. I believe it shows 255 range at 100% but have to verify. I've read about the issues with gen 1 90 battery packs and still can't decide if that should deter my from buying the car as well. Anyone care to make a definitive statement about that?