Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unique Sale Possibility '22 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm one of those guys who put money down on a Plaid + when it was announced. As most of you know, Tesla changed my order to a Plaid. I've been putting it off for quite some time and now Tesla just built a Plaid for me that is sitting on the ground waiting to be delivered. I'm not sure why they built the car as I never confirmed the build of the Plaid, but anyway, here it is. Since I was so early in ordering, my price is less than the recent price increases. I'm not overly sure if I want the car myself, so I thought I'd offer it up here. I realize you're not supposed to try and sell cars in the regular forum, but this is kind of a unique situation and I don't have the car in my possession yet. It is however built and waiting. Car is a '22 Plaid, Red, 19" wheels, cream interior with FSD option. To purchase this car today from Tesla it would cost $153,940 and wouldn't be ready for 3 months. If somebody is interested, I would sell my car that is waiting to be delivered for $149,000. I'm in Montana so there is no sales tax. I'd make a few bucks, the buyer would save a few bucks, and would have the car in a couple weeks instead of a few months. I'd also be willing to personally deliver the car on my trailer for expenses, I'm always up for a road trip. I would be paying for the car outright and request the buyer pay me outright. I don't want to get in the middle of financing hassles.

Anybody interested? This would have to happen very quickly as my car is on hold with Tesla until 3/27/22.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Your sales agreement includes a clause regarding resale. If you own the car for a bit and then sell it, no one can give you a problem... but this immediate "strawman" resale is something Tesla doesn't like.

Just my opinion, but I'd avoid this situation.

I'll be damned, I've never read the fine print. I certainly didn't order this car with the intention of reselling it. Way back when I ordered it in 2020 it was a Plaid + with a regular steering wheel. Tesla substantially changed the order on me, which of course they "can" do because they're Tesla. Frankly, it would be a complete crock if I buy this car and decide I don't like it and sell it since it isn't exactly what I ordered. I get it, I'm here seeing if anybody is interested before I take delivery. More or less because I REALLY don't like the yoke steering and lack of a turn signal stalk, etc. If I take delivery of the car and hate it, I'm definitely going to sell it. If I can make a couple bucks, why not? Tesla broke their "promise" to me when they changed my order, so to speak.

• Funny

Your sales agreement includes a clause regarding resale. If you own the car for a bit and then sell it, no one can give you a problem... but this immediate "strawman" resale is something Tesla doesn't like.

Just my opinion, but I'd avoid this situation.
If you do one car they won’t have issue. If you try this 2 or more times they will designate you ‘not acting in good faith’ and ban you from ordering Teslas ever again. It’s quite crazy actually!

• Informative
So I'm one of those guys who put money down on a Plaid + when it was announced. As most of you know, Tesla changed my order to a Plaid. I've been putting it off for quite some time and now Tesla just built a Plaid for me that is sitting on the ground waiting to be delivered. I'm not sure why they built the car as I never confirmed the build of the Plaid, but anyway, here it is. Since I was so early in ordering, my price is less than the recent price increases. I'm not overly sure if I want the car myself, so I thought I'd offer it up here. I realize you're not supposed to try and sell cars in the regular forum, but this is kind of a unique situation and I don't have the car in my possession yet. It is however built and waiting. Car is a '22 Plaid, Red, 19" wheels, cream interior with FSD option. To purchase this car today from Tesla it would cost $153,940 and wouldn't be ready for 3 months. If somebody is interested, I would sell my car that is waiting to be delivered for $149,000. I'm in Montana so there is no sales tax. I'd make a few bucks, the buyer would save a few bucks, and would have the car in a couple weeks instead of a few months. I'd also be willing to personally deliver the car on my trailer for expenses, I'm always up for a road trip. I would be paying for the car outright and request the buyer pay me outright. I don't want to get in the middle of financing hassles.

Anybody interested? This would have to happen very quickly as my car is on hold with Tesla until 3/27/22.
Try the "marketplace" section on this forum -- give you want to buy it and sell it, you probably need someone living in your area/state. May be someone is looking for what you have? 🤷‍♂️

Tesla will blacklist you for doing this. If you don't want the car, don't take delivery of it. If you do want the car, plan on keeping it for a year (?) to avoid issues.

Is this from real experience? Or know of someone? I am curious.

I disagree with your strong statement here from personal experience -- sold a car (within a week but only had 10 mores miles on it since purchase), because I had reasons. But I am not in the business of doing this car resale stuff, and seems like OP is also doing it for valid reasons.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I actually appreciate that Tesla does this. I'm not aware of many cars that have been as in demand and production constrained as Tesla... and I truly loathe scalpers.

Tickets, video cards, game consoles... I'd hate to see cars added to that list. On the flip side, someone selling a car they don't want anymore is a different story.

This will be my 5th Tesla, some I sold after a few months, some I sold after a year. I wouldn't really think Tesla would black list me if I sell it after a week or two, but who knows? I guess if they do, all the more reason to try out Brand X, which does look pretty dang interesting on the surface....
Audi e-Tron GT looks really nice (and has half the range of a Model S)!

Good luck 👍

• Funny
Is this from real experience? Or know of someone? I am curious.

I disagree with your strong statement here from personal experience -- sold a car (within a week but only had 10 mores miles on it since purchase), because I had reasons. But I am not in the business of doing this car resale stuff, and seems like OP is also doing it for valid reasons.

You're right, I was too strong in my assertion that Tesla will do this. I'm going on the information posted in the blacklist thread, but it seems there might be an allowance before you're put in this category. I retract my statement and wish the OP the best of luck.

Reactions: mendokusyayi
Just to clarify, I don't have any personal experience with being blacklisted... I just read that post, and certainly his situation was different (small fleet of rentals). That said, it seems like it would be easy for Tesla to audit this, since the vehicle would be removed from your account and added to the third party account.

There is no way this scenario meets the “bad faith” threshold spelled out in the order agreement.

Dude ordered the car ages ago. TESLA changed the terms. He decided to take delivery anyway and give it a go, then ultimately decided the car wasn’t for him and sold. Oh well.

I wouldn’t give the doomsday prophets in this thread a second consideration. OP, given you’re in Montana and don’t have to worry about tax, etc - I think it’s highly likely you could turn around and sell the car for a reasonable profit in this bonkers market whether you have a buyer lined up or not. Of course, that may or may not be worth the time of an individual that can buy $150k cars for cash.

Reactions: buckets0fun
There is no way this scenario meets the “bad faith” threshold spelled out in the order agreement.

Dude ordered the car ages ago. TESLA changed the terms. He decided to take delivery anyway and give it a go, then ultimately decided the car wasn’t for him and sold. Oh well.

I wouldn’t give the doomsday prophets in this thread a second consideration. OP, given you’re in Montana and don’t have to worry about tax, etc - I think it’s highly likely you could turn around and sell the car for a reasonable profit in this bonkers market whether you have a buyer lined up or not. Of course, that may or may not be worth the time of an individual that can buy $150k cars for cash.
I agree with you, I don't feel I'm acting in bad faith at all. I've been in a similar situation with an LTV motorhome I was trying to find. Ordering a new one is literally a 2 year wait, so I found a used one at a pretty good price to see if I actually like the unit. I purchased it and liked it well enough I set out to find a newer one in a floorplan I "thought" I wanted. I found a barely used 2021 model of the different floor plan, bought it, then decided we didn't really like that floor plan after all, so I sold it and finally found a slightly used 2021 in the floor plan I originally bought with every option offered. I sold the first two units and managed to make a couple bucks on each one because, as you said, this used market is bonkers right now. People are selling their used LTV's for 20k + over brand new price, and getting it simply because people don't want to wait 2 years. Dealers have 0 inventory so I couldn't see anything in person, so I had to "buy and try" LOL. It worked out in the end. I guess I'm thinking of doing the same thing with this Tesla, especially as I can buy it for a fair amount cheaper than the current price.