TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Unique way for Tesla and Tesla fans to help Pureto Rico

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Austindude, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Austindude

Austindude New Member

Like most everyone on this forum I'm waiting on my Model 3, and for me it will be my first Tesla. I'm hoping I can get mine on or before the end of 2018 and of course I'll be charging it from the electrical power grid with assistance from my solar panels. I am fortunate that I live in the US mainland where the power grid is up, running, and dependable which is more than what is currently available to the people of Puerto Rico.

From the news, I understand that it is likely that electrical power in Puerto Rico will be out for most homes and businesses for as many as six months, especially in rural areas. People in PR however are desperately in need of electrical power for cooling fans, breathing machines, lights, and even small refrigerators used for medicine and food and they cannot wait months for power to be restored. I guess I would not be surprised if it ends up taking a year before all power is restored to the island.

Tesla, with it's expertise in wheeled vehicles, solar panels, and Li Ion battery packs, might be in a unique position to help. Would it be possible to build a small towable (and air lift capable) lite weight solar panel based Li Ion battery storage unit with power inverters for use in homes and small businesses? While these units might only have room to extend 100 to 200 watt solar panels they could charge the batteries for many hours a day in the PR sunshine.
    I believe the similar units that I've seen road workers use for portable lighting are quite large and utilize very heavy lead acid deep discharge batteries which might make them impractical for shipment and maintenance in large numbers to PR.

Anyway, this is just a wild thought and it may be totally impractical. I also realize to build and deploy very many of these would cost a great deal of money, - but I'd bet Tesla fans (like myself) would be happy to contribute towards such an effort if Elon deemed to undertake it.

Thanks, and I hope to wave to you from my Model 3 somewhere soon down the road!

• Like x 2
  2. codex57

codex57 Member

So decimate their entire corporate existence? I mean, they could probably do a handful, but that would help so little for such huge cost/complication. To do what you're proposing for any meaningful numbers would mean to just shut down Tesla Motors/Sun City and funnel it all to PR.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

That's why there should be a Tesla Public Relations Department that won't bankrupt the company but would boost its image.

Many stars, politicians doing few minutes working in a food line which is not physically meaningful but they give inspirations for others to contribute real time and meaningful work.

4. codex57

codex57 Member

I think Tesla's PR department is Elon's twitter account.

• Funny x 1
  5. 9erDog

9erDog Member

• Like x 3
  6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

7. codex57

codex57 Member

Hundreds is impressive. Good on Tesla. I wonder how this will affect battery supplies for the cars.

8. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

You will get your car a day later

• Like x 1
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

if it will help alleviate misery in PR, I'll gladly pickup my car weeks' later.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. Trips

Trips Member

Roughly 0.0 minutes. If they plan on producing 150 Model 3's a day later this year that would be about 750 powerwalls worth. If they used powerpacks they would most likely have Samsung SDI cells.

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

Just my over-privileged opinion, but as with most humans, they figure out what they should do in an emergency a week or so after the emergency hits.

With Puerto Rico, the whole country is poor, housing is low-cost, and the "grid" was weak. No one ever thought of putting in batteries (lead acid works pretty good, and doesn't break the bank) or solar panels. I suspect there are many people on this forum who just can't afford either one of those right now, but there are many who can, but it's no priority. Until the emergency hits. I suspect Irma would have messed us up, where I live, but I betcha I'd have power and water and septic. Phone is not a priority to me, but I guess we could heliograph down to St. Helena.

12. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Time to replace the entire PR grid with solar powerwall microgrid

13. Austindude

Austindude New Member

Very glad to read that Tesla is out in front in helping with the dire situation in PR by providing solar cells and battery packs and employees to set them up.

Per my original post, I still think an all in one unit that could be air dropped, possibly by helicopter, would also be beneficial. I'm thinking of a compact lite weight mobile (towable?) unit that has collapsible solar panels, battery charger, Li Ion batteries, a power inverter, and breaker box and outlets. It might also be nice to include in this all in one unit a 50 foot extension cord with multiple outlets and maybe and even a removable box fan. Something like this unit might be the difference between life and death for those who are ill and living in small homes in the rural areas which will likely be the last to get power and other assistance.

A past coworker of mine has a girl friend in PR and she told him it has been terrible trying to sleep at night without power for cooling or fans. She said the mosquitos are now really coming out so open windows are becoming a problem but she's doing her best to deal with things and she doesn't want to leave.

Anyway, got to admire Tesla and all companies that have stepped up to make things a little better for people that are living in such a bad situation.

• Like x 1
  14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Send Tesla
    rtx3gl1n.jpg