Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

United Kingdom car (Road) tax for all EV's built 2017 onwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my smug "oil burning pick up truck" driving friends sent me a link to a very recent article in a UK motoring magazine stating that in 2017, even a zero emission electric vehicle could be subject to car tax. I say "could" as it applies to every car built after Jan 1st 2017 and costing £40,000 or more. The issue is that a Toyota Prius could pay more road tax than a high polluting 4x4.

My plan is this, and I don't know if it would work, BUT, if the Model 3 starts at £30k in the UK, and I want 4wd on mine (which I am guessing would be less than £10k?), can I buy it with just that, and then pay the extra to have autopilot, bigger battery, ludicrous mode etc unlocked after delivery. I know that the cars ship with most of the kit ready installed, and that an "over-the-air" unlock releases all the toys.

I really begrudge paying tax on a truly zero emission vehicle, when there is so much diesel belching crap still on the roads, paying less!

If there is no way round it, then I will just have to live with it. I have never had a really nice car before, so I want all the toys on my Model 3 :)

One of my smug "oil burning pick up truck" driving friends sent me a link to a very recent article in a UK motoring magazine stating that in 2017, even a zero emission electric vehicle could be subject to car tax. I say "could" as it applies to every car built after Jan 1st 2017 and costing £40,000 or more. The issue is that a Toyota Prius could pay more road tax than a high polluting 4x4.

My plan is this, and I don't know if it would work, BUT, if the Model 3 starts at £30k in the UK, and I want 4wd on mine (which I am guessing would be less than £10k?), can I buy it with just that, and then pay the extra to have autopilot, bigger battery, ludicrous mode etc unlocked after delivery. I know that the cars ship with most of the kit ready installed, and that an "over-the-air" unlock releases all the toys.

I really begrudge paying tax on a truly zero emission vehicle, when there is so much diesel belching crap still on the roads, paying less!

If there is no way round it, then I will just have to live with it. I have never had a really nice car before, so I want all the toys on my Model 3 :)

Anything you add to the vehicle after the initial sale shouldn't be any different than doing so for any other vehicle. You bought and paid for "x" amount when you took delivery, anything you add after that wouldn't count toward the purchase price.

So, I don't see why this wouldn't work.