Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Charger Cable Getting Chewed Up By Animals!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen an instance where a porcupine chewed the rubber handle off a hatchet; and also, squirrels got under the hood of both my Mercedes SLK and Toyota Highlander Hybrid and chewed the engine harness. In the case of the SLK, it was really serious - the critter completely ate the middle section out of the harness at the firewall over the engine; also figured out how to bite thru the wires going to wheel speed sensor in front. Luckily, the engine harness wires were color coded so I could fix it myself - but it was an all-day job to splice & solder in about 25 wires.

In extreme cases, you may have to jacket the cable with something that an animal literally can't bite through (no matter how motivated) - this means a woven stainless steel wrap. I think these are available (made for use on the ignition wiring on race cars).

you could try making your own pepper spray and coat your cable with it, or spray around the area as deterrent.

we had a persistent squirrel trying to build a nest under our eaves - kept coming back even though we'd knock down the twigs each day for a couple weeks.
Tried Critter Ridder - no effect, squirrel came back. Tried spiking the Critter Ridder with extra cayenne pepper. Still no luck

Finally, I found a recipe online - boiled a large onion, some jalapeno peppers and cayenne pepper (forget the exact ratio), strained out the solids. (don't rub your eyes while making it!!)
- sprayed it around the area of interest. Squirrel never came back.

Rodents are notorious for chewing rubber products like dishwasher drain hoses, automotive hoses and wires, etc. 20 years ago I had a Volvo 850 in Germany and found little muddy animal footprints inside the engine compartment. The dealer told me it was stone martens (Steinmarder, in German) and hung a little mesh bag of sticks (called Marder stäbchen) on the firewall. The odor (undetectable to us non-martens) from the bag kept the critters out.

In your case, there is no enclosed space for such a remedy to work. You might try using split conduit
Amazon.com: Dorman 86661 3/4 Blue Wire Flex Split Conduit: Automotive

Available at any electrical supply, probably most auto parts houses, maybe even Home Depot, although their search engine can't find it. Note at the upper right of the product image that the stuff is split so you can slip it over your cable between the connectors. Most of these products are polypropylene (patio furniture plastic) that mice would not be fond of. Comes in sizes from 1/2" ID to 1" or more.