TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Universal Mobile Connector - failed

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by harbthom, Jul 11, 2012.

1. harbthom

harbthom New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Roadster #916. 1st owner. Delivered 2010Jul6.

Universal Mobile Connector was failing this month, resort to using the dreaded yellow backup cord for a week. Happenstance required bringing in for warranty issue on the headlamps (non xeon, a film was flaking off the surface of lens - 2nd time it's happened). Told that the UMC is not covered under warranty. $1500 part has to be ordered? Told that my old UMC is submitted as a "core" for use in refurbishment? Are these "new" UMC's or simply refurbished items?

Anyone else have 1) issues with their Roadster's UMC failing, 2) comments on a failed UMC being covered under warranty (was apx 2yr point of ownership)
  2. I think you got ripped off, the UMC without a core is $1500 from the Tesla online store....There are people here that would pay you money for your "failed" UMC (me!).

If the part is under warranty Tesla can replace it with a refurbished part, if you buy it directly from them I think it has to be new. I do not think Tesla can sell used parts and not say they are used/refurb. They will probably "fix" your UMC and use it as a warranty replacement.

The Tesla Roadster Bumper to Bumper warranty really does not specifically exclude the UMC (although it could be seen as an accessory).
  3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I had a UMC failure after 11 months. Tesla replaced it with a new one.