Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal UMC extension cable that works with any adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for an extension cable for the Mobile Connector that would allow me to use all of the adapters I already own. I don’t want to have an extension cable just for NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 5-15, because then I’d need an extension cable for each and every adapter. Is there an extension cable, after market or otherwise, that allows the use of any adapter?

I see a place called Quickchargepower.com that will extend your UMC if you send it in to them at a cost of $50 per 10 ft of extension. Are their plans out there that describe how to DIY?

Was going to recommend the same one David (@MorrisonHiker) did. The other good thing about it, is that it lets you use other sockets in that 'family' (see their product details), as he mentions.

In my opinion, the best combo is a good 14-50 extension cord, your UMC, and some of the adapters from evseadapters so you can use Dryer outlets, and the like (camper plugins, whatever), when traveling. All you have to remember is to be sure to set your car to not exceed the 80% level of the 'house' end (if 30 amps, set the car to 24, etc.).

Reactions: KArnold
Was going to recommend the same one David (@MorrisonHiker) did. The other good thing about it, is that it lets you use other sockets in that 'family' (see their product details), as he mentions.

Many here would strongly recommend against it after buying that one, including me It has an extra wire you don't need that makes it heavy, bulky and unmanageable. It's real easy to make a light, flexible one:

Extension Cord For 14-50 Charging

I'm curious if these folks have molded their own adaptor, or are purchasing and changing.

Tesla Model 3 Gen 2 Charging Adapters

If the have one side molded, perhaps they could do the other.

I was thinking you could potentially extend the DC end of the connector?

There is no DC end of the connector. The UMC pretty much only has a relay and some control logic to detect faults and provide instructions to the car.

The charger (AC-DC converter) is in the car.

There is no DC end of the connector. The UMC pretty much only has a relay and some control logic to detect faults and provide instructions to the car.

The charger (AC-DC converter) is in the car.

Ahh. That makes sense. Knowing that now, I should say the Tesla-plug side of the UMC. This side is obviously agnostic to whatever sort of adapter you plug in at the other end.

At first glace this seems to be what I want. Something that can extend the side of the UMC that normally would be plugged directly into the Tesla. Though $500 is really steep and they don't even state how long the extension is. If we could get male and female plug connectors, then it would be possible to DIY and save a lot.

This is a strong consideration, but it's not ideal. For one, I've already invested $200 in UMC Gen 2 adapters, including the $75 TT-30 one sold by EVSEAdapters. If I could return that for the 14-50 to TT-30 adapter, I might consider going this route. Secondly, this would not be quite as convenient as using the Gen 2 adapters as they have the built in rate limiting. I recall seeing a nice PDF file that details building this extension cord and the various adapters. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that? Thanks. EDIT: I found it http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

Reactions: brkaus
Decided to just make my own extender and adapters, as described in that PDF. Yes it’ll be somewhat redundant with all the gen 2 adapters I already own, but I figured it’s just a matter of cost (which I’d spend just as much to extend my UMC through some alternative). I’ll have the gen 2 adapters for convenience when the outlet is within 20 ft. If I need more than that, I’ll use the 30 ft extender and whatever homemade adapters I make (so far I plan to make 5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30, and TT-30), and just need to limit the amperage accordingly.

Reactions: boaterva