TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"University of Quattro" Driver Education at the Evergreen Speedway on Saturday, 2/2

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Francis Lau, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

#1 Francis Lau, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I am going to this event with my Model S and I am wondering if anyone else wants to go?

* All day event from 8 am to when it gets dark
    * It costs $100 and includes lunch
    * You do not need to have an Audi or be part of the Audi Club
    * There are chargers at the Fairground

MonroeChargingStation.png

More details and registration at the links below. PM me if you want to go or want more details.

http://www.audiclubnw.org/profiles/blogs/university-of-quattro-registration-is-open

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/AF2223E8-AF83-3CE4-1E17EA16FEB62FF0#.UP7CSW883Xo

2. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

#2 v12 to 12v, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Be careful if you are going out on the main track. That is one of the scarier tracks in the region. Many solid objects in close range.
    Also, be aware that your instructor may not be familiar with the driving dynamics of the Model S.

3. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Thanks for the warning, I very much appreciate it.

4. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

So far, it looks like we will get 2-4 Model S at this event. It is going to be fun. Keep your fingers crossed for nice weather.

I am wondering if I should get a GoPro camera for the event. Has anyone mounted one on a car? If yes, how?

5. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

GoPro's suction cup is okay for use on car exterior. At least we did it that way anyways. But then again, back then we used to shoot wedding video and didn't drive 100mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Are you guys meeting at the location or convening somewhere beforehand to arrive as a group?

7. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Good question, I am fine with both options. I will start an email thread directly with folks. Please PM your email address.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I decided to go for a ride. Golden City Buffet is nearby. The Eaton charger didn't work fore me. Wasn't free and didn't recognize the 3 credit cards I tried (AmEx, Visa, Discover).

9. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Hmm, on Plugshare, the user comments said it was free. Here are the comments:

+Evii 10 days ago

+BIG_neutrino 3 months ago
    Free! However, I don't think the parking where the chargers are is available come Evergreen State Fair time. Even on this quiet weekend, we had to snuggle the car between two R.V.s to get access to the otherwise blocked unit.

-EV LEAF a year ago
    Eaton EVSE's. Both spots ICED. No EV Signage. By double parking (plenty of room) cord may have reached

+Josh a year ago
    Worked great. Be sure to read the instructions, as I kept trying to swipe my credit card, until I realized it was currently free. Spots are in premium fair parking territory, with no restrictive signage, so this might be a problem come the fair season.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#10 brianman, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Other than "press the yellow button" (which really mean the button with a small yellow light I presume), and trying swiping and non-swiping and blind plugging in (no swipe)... I gave up. If this is how it's gonna be for EVs, no wonder it's taking forever for this tech to take off.

Twenty minutes later, Taco Del Mar was happy to take my card. At least dinner was good.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Francis took some videos, I think, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the other groups did from his posts.

I didn't take many pictures (too busy taking it all in, and being lazy), but I did take a few.

Note: Camera phone. Just about every picture was rushed. All have been resized to 25% of the original (so if any attendees want the original, let me know in PM). No cropping has been done to make them look pretty or anything.

Energy consumption rose throughout the day
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption1.jpg
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption2.jpg
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption3.jpg
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption4.jpg
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption5.jpg

Long view of consumption (the non-orange part of the graph is travelling to the venue)
    UQEvent20130203_Consumption6.jpg

A few shots of the car line-up before the final driving activities
    UQEvent20130202_Lineup1.jpg UQEvent20130202_Lineup2.jpg UQEvent20130202_Lineup3.jpg

Note that it's pretty easy to pick out Chad's car. ;)

12. buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz Member

I didn't get many pics either, but here is what I managed for energy consumption during the event (this picture was taken about 3/4 of the way through the day):

IMG_1104.jpg

And here is my consumption from later that evening...the part of the day I spent at the track is clearly visible :biggrin::

IMG_1105.jpg

It was great fun...Personally, I highly recommend attending an event like this. IMO, It really gives you a great sense of how the Model S handles and, more importantly, what the car feels like in extreme situations.

13. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

So how did the S handle on the track?

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was definitely outclassed by my vehicle. ;)

15. buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz Member

Absolutely phenomenal. I've never quite experienced driving like that before. I had participated in a clinic like that many years ago, but it was nothing like driving Model S. The responsiveness of the steering on the slalom was incredible. The handling through the figure-8 was nothing short of amazing. As one of our fellow Model S drivers put it to me, "it goes where you put it." I really felt like I had total command of the vehicle the entire time.

+1

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Before I forget to mention it...

Our hosts were very gracious and welcoming. Coming into the event, I had some lingering concerns about whether we'd be "invading" a mostly Audi event. Quite the contrary in reality. There were vehicles from VW, Porsche, BMW, Ford, and others. Further, participants and instructors alike were very gracious and welcoming of our squad of Tesla vehicles. Most (all?) had never ridden in the Roadster or the Model S and there was clearly enthusiasm to have us (and other Tesla folk) attend future events.

17. buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz Member

Absolutely! The Audi group were wonderful hosts. A big thanks to them for putting on such a good show!

18. kashiraja

kashiraja Member

Looks like a needed sw feature for the energy consumption display is auto-scaling :). Did any of you hear if this is an annual event or will they have it more frequently?

Also curious, would a 60kWh battery have made it through the day? Maybe at least charge up nearby before heading out on the track...?!

19. buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz Member

These events are held regularly, from what I understand. And, from what I hear, other groups (Porsche, BMW, etc) hold similar events. I think you just have to find your way to their website and find the events for which you are qualified to participate (for example, there are certain lapping events that require you have taken at least one of the Driver's Education events prior to being able to attend). The short answer is, yes, this is a popular sport that occurs multiple times during the year at many different tracks.

As far as the 60 kWh battery goes, it shouldn't have a problem. I used a range charge prior to heading to the track on my 85 and totally didn't need it. I consumed a total of 20 kWh driving to the track, participating, and the driving home from the track. If it were a longer day (a lapping event, for instance), then some charging might be necessary, but I think that would be the case for the 85, as well.

20. Qualchan

Qualchan Member

Did anyone experience power limiting while on the course? I recall this was an unresolved issue (charge level, over-heating protection?) from last fall experienced by another Model S owner at a track.