Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"University of Quattro" Driver Education at the Evergreen Speedway on Saturday, 2/2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We only drove about 10 miles on the track. I didn't measure exactly, but in my Roadster I think I used about 30 miles of rated range. All the driving was pretty short, so I don't think anybody came close to overheating (the Roadster has rough thermometers for battery, PEM and motor; things were fine).

It was both fun and instructive; and as noted everybody was very welcoming. I'd encourage others to attend future events. There is a list HERE.

By the way, the Roadster really does have serious understeer at the limit - I've never really hit it in street driving, but sure did on this course. I wish I had the adjustable suspension so I could even it out a bit; but I do have to admit I lost my fear of snap oversteer (instilled long ago by a Tesla sales person) when I experienced it. But the acceleration makes up for it and the instructors were very impressed with the car.

Best quote of the day came shortly after an instructor got in my Roadster for the autocross. As he buckled up, I made some joke about the worst part of the ride being over now that he had managed to squeeze into the car. Just before the track manager flashed me the sign to go, the instructor said “I’ve ridden in several cars like this.” I floored it, and he gripped the sides of his seat and yelled “Whoa - not like this!” He had been thinking it was a Lotus.

great thread, as an Audi club member I am glad to hear you guys were taken care of, my experiences in the NORCAL area have been nothing short of great. I highly recommend this for any driver as the amount you can learn about how both you and your car perform dynamically and "closer" to the limit are huge. Also these are all about safety that is the number 1 priority. Generally one leaves with much more driving confidence.

I would love to see any video of the S on the track.

I plan to post photos and videos from the event. I will need a week or so to do it. Unfortunately, the GoPro I bought for the event was defective and I only got 1 video from it. However, I have videos from other sources as well.
Francis
Francis, make sure you double-check with the organizers (they may want to vette the footage, for example). There were specific notes in the packet about the topic of posting videos.

That said, I really hope you get the green light on posting them.

...Also these are all about safety that is the number 1 priority...

That is certainly true, and an excellent point to make. I was, admittedly, a little apprehensive about taking my precious Model S to the track. The group was very focused on safety and that made it a lot easier to enjoy the day and push the car (and myself). Not once did I feel like I was in an unsafe situation, nor do they push you to leave your zone of comfort. It's about learning your abilities as well as the car's. They push for control and precision...not speed.

...Generally one leaves with much more driving confidence...

I whole-heartedly agree!

I plan to post photos and videos from the event. I will need a week or so to do it. Unfortunately, the GoPro I bought for the event was defective and I only got 1 video from it. However, I have videos from other sources as well.

Sorry to hear about your GoPro, Francis! I am excited to see the other videos, though. It'll be interesting to see what it looked like from an outsider's perspective :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Francis, make sure you double-check with the organizers (they may want to vette the footage, for example). There were specific notes in the packet about the topic of posting videos.

Looks to me like, as long as they are positive in nature and no one is identified without permission, they are pretty much ok...but I agree with Brianman. Make sure all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed before you post, just to be safe.

A couple weeks ago, I took my MSP to an autocross "driver's clinic". Had a complete blast! I tried most of the different course items (chicago box, slalom, skid pad, pivot cone) with traction control on, then off to see the difference. I had more fun with T/C off, of course. I still have tire tread left. :)
With any autocross, the driver is the key factor to the time, so mine sucked. But my instructor (one of the organizers) was very impressed with the car's ability to get the job done.