Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown clunking noise after exiting Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this today while out grabbing pizza. I arrived, put the car in park and was walking away until I noticed it and had to turn around and grab a video.

I've made a service appointment to have it looked at but I'm unsure of what it could even be.

Check out the video and let me know what you think.

Does it do it all the time or was it just once?

I'm suspecting its the radiator fan assembly, looking at ebay posting of the fan assemblies, I see that there are metal clips on some of the fan blades, probably to balance it. I'm wondering if one of those moved or got loose and knocked the fan out of balance.

I scheduled an service request, included the video and what I thought might be the culprit of the sound. They actually sent back an estimate with the part I referenced. It is on order and will be ready for the appointment. I confirmed if the part is found defective it will be covered under warranty/goodwill whatever they call it. My appointment is Dec 27th bright and early at 0815 so we'll see how it goes!

MYFanAssembly.PNG

I'm suspecting its the radiator fan assembly, looking at ebay posting of the fan assemblies, I see that there are metal clips on some of the fan blades, probably to balance it. I'm wondering if one of those moved or got loose and knocked the fan out of balance.

I scheduled an service request, included the video and what I thought might be the culprit of the sound. They actually sent back an estimate with the part I referenced. It is on order and will be ready for the appointment. I confirmed if the part is found defective it will be covered under warranty/goodwill whatever they call it. My appointment is Dec 27th bright and early at 0815 so we'll see how it goes!

View attachment 747708
Yes, they sometimes will give you an estimate before they determine it's a warranty repair.

View attachment 747708
@hoosker Just curious about the ending to your mystery - did you end up going in for your service appointment? What was the verdict? I'm wondering, for my future knowledge, if I hear that same noise on my Y one day what I should suspect.

@hoosker Just curious about the ending to your mystery - did you end up going in for your service appointment? What was the verdict? I'm wondering, for my future knowledge, if I hear that same noise on my Y one day what I should suspect.
They bumped my appointment to a later date because of parts availability. However the noise has not returned. I originally thought it had to do with the temp drops, but it's been below freezing for the past two weeks now.

I'm apprehensive about going to the appointment without being about to reproduce the issue on the spot. Unless they can witness it, I feel like I'm gonna be SOL.