Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown clunking noise after exiting Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hoosker: Just listened again to your video. Jeez...that amount of noise deserves (deserved?) immediate attention. Sounds like an ICE with no oil.

The fact that the sound stopped concerns me. A sound that violent means something is rubbing/striking, and the absence of sound could mean that whatever was rubbing/striking has failed completely. Is the fan striking the radiator itself, or the shroud around it?

I would request to SEE the parts the SC is going to replace.

Did you send them a link to your video? I would at least do that. I don't think that noise, for that amount of time, is normal.
I did send them the link to the video. I think they viewed it.

I've had other NVH(noise vibration hardness) problems they would not address unless they witnessed in person, regardless of if I've submitted a link with a video of it prior to visit.

hoosker: Just listened again to your video. Jeez...that amount of noise deserves (deserved?) immediate attention. Sounds like an ICE with no oil.

The fact that the sound stopped concerns me. A sound that violent means something is rubbing/striking, and the absence of sound could mean that whatever was rubbing/striking has failed completely. Is the fan striking the radiator itself, or the shroud around it?

I would request to SEE the parts the SC is going to replace.
I do agree with you. My appointment is still scheduled and I do plan on getting it looked at.
My heat/thermals have all been fine. Car has driven great. I don't feel unsafe driving it.

I found several more things to address as well but these are more QA things

1. Foam blocking driver side window vent causing window to remain frosted when using the defrost function

2. "Model Y" doorsill insert is loose on driver's side

3. Rear passenger door card/panel clips are loose causing terrible noise over rough roads.

4. MYP Spoiler coming loose, this will be number 2(this is a given, just a terrible design)

They bumped my appointment to a later date because of parts availability. However the noise has not returned. I originally thought it had to do with the temp drops, but it's been below freezing for the past two weeks now.

I'm apprehensive about going to the appointment without being about to reproduce the issue on the spot. Unless they can witness it, I feel like I'm gonna be SOL.
Well, I guess we'll just stay tuned to see how this mystery ends! Good luck!

Any way you look at it, if it was ice it should have been kind of a fluke condition. Moisture can get to the area and may refreeze in the right conditions - like moderate freezing weather turning very cold. The radiator doesn't run extremely hot like an ICE radiator, so may not develop sufficient heat in the surrounding area quickly enough to melt ice if drives are short...

Hopefully OP won't have any more "card in the spokes" noises to report from now on!

I am over in Kalamazoo, just shy of 1200 miles on a Feb '22 MYP delivery. In the past week, temperature ranges have been from 72 degrees to 10 degrees (15 degrees at the time the video was taken).

I stumbled across this post earlier this morning. Coincidentally, I also just noticed this exact noise after a short drive to the grocery store. First time hearing it. The heat was on prior to getting out of the vehicle. It kind of sounds like a heat pump or radiator fan.

The vehicle receives a touchless car wash every week, and is stored in a unheated garage. There was no visible accumulation ice on the vehicle (it had actually just gotten a car wash).

The only other odd noises I've heard is when pulling out/in of the driveway, and hearing a clunking noise in the front driver side wheel area. It sounds almost like a control arm or CV joint. It only does it once, and then it won't do it again until it sits in position or driven for a while. The driveway is on a bit of a angle - not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it is the only thing that is unique in the scenario.

I am going to schedule a mobile service with Grand Rapids service center.

I am over in Kalamazoo, just shy of 1200 miles on a Feb '22 MYP delivery. In the past week, temperature ranges have been from 72 degrees to 10 degrees (15 degrees at the time the video was taken).

I stumbled across this post earlier this morning. Coincidentally, I also just noticed this exact noise after a short drive to the grocery store. First time hearing it. The heat was on prior to getting out of the vehicle. It kind of sounds like a heat pump or radiator fan.

The vehicle receives a touchless car wash every week, and is stored in a unheated garage. There was no visible accumulation ice on the vehicle (it had actually just gotten a car wash).

The only other odd noises I've heard is when pulling out/in of the driveway, and hearing a clunking noise in the front driver side wheel area. It sounds almost like a control arm or CV joint. It only does it once, and then it won't do it again until it sits in position or driven for a while. The driveway is on a bit of a angle - not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it is the only thing that is unique in the scenario.

Interesting. Thank you for including a video link. Mine does not make as loud of a noise, and I'm starting to think it was probably a leaf or something since the fan is right behind the radiator. Another thing I noticed Tesla has stopped installing these shutters. My 2021 July Tesla MY doesn't have it, and yours doesn't as well.

I had a service appointment scheduled for it but ended up canceling it.

I can reproduce the issue after going through a touchless carwash on a very cold day. Pretty certain its just ice accumulation from the underbody sprayers on the radiator fan/housing and the fan is either becoming unbalancing or making contact with the ice until it breaks enough away for the sound to subside.

I'm wondering if I were to run the A/C would the heat generated from the system be enough to remove the build up. Maybe running the car on LO for 10 minutes will melt it away?

Anyway, I chalked this up to being another weird quirk my Model Y has. I am curious what service center will say for you!

I had a service appointment scheduled for it but ended up canceling it.

I can reproduce the issue after going through a touchless carwash on a very cold day. Pretty certain its just ice accumulation from the underbody sprayers on the radiator fan/housing and the fan is either becoming unbalancing or making contact with the ice until it breaks enough away for the sound to subside.

I'm wondering if I were to run the A/C would the heat generated from the system be enough to remove the build up. Maybe running the car on LO for 10 minutes will melt it away?

Anyway, I chalked this up to being another weird quirk my Model Y has. I am curious what service center will say for you!
Since I can't reproduce it, I never made an appointment.

Still keeping an eye on the clunk noise that is made when pulling in/out of angled driveways.

Since I can't reproduce it, I never made an appointment.

Still keeping an eye on the clunk noise that is made when pulling in/out of angled driveways.
following up on my own question/post from a few weeks ago. The radiator fan clicking noise has gone away. I had done nothing to it except scheduling a service appointment. Conclusion is there was probably some debris that was stuck between the radiator fan. After putting a few hundred more miles, it rattled it away.