Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown key and walk away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW my issue seems to have resolved itself overnight. Didn't seem like the software version changed, but I can't remember the exact build it was. My Key fob is now correctly displayed as a "Key fob" with a key fob icon instead of a skeleton key and gives me the ability to turn Walk Away on/off as needed. So perhaps leaving it for a while it will eventually be resolved via software update.
Hi, I have noticed the same with mine. Did your phone eventually show up correctly as a phone as well? Everything works fine, just seeing “unknown key” irks me.

Hi, I have noticed the same with mine. Did your phone eventually show up correctly as a phone as well? Everything works fine, just seeing “unknown key” irks me.
My phone does correctly show as a phone, my issue was with the key fobs. I had to use my phone as a workaround because it was correctly identified and allowed me to change the Walk Away option. This allowed it to work for my key fob at the time when they were both Active at the same time. For reference I have an iPhone 12.

My phone does correctly show as a phone, my issue was with the key fobs. I had to use my phone as a workaround because it was correctly identified and allowed me to change the Walk Away option. This allowed it to work for my key fob at the time when they were both Active at the same time. For reference I have an iPhone 12.
Ah, my bad meant to aim that at the chap below…
Ok! Thanks for your reply. I think my problem is that the car don’t actually understand that the phone is a phone…Must be my iPhone 11 that’s not communicating properly
Did your iPhone 11 ever start showing up correctly?

Came across this thread as I'm suffering the same issue with mine which I only got yesterday. I've tried rebooting cast, deleting/readding, rebooting phone, turning airplane mode on/off, disconnected VPN. Still showing as Active/Unknown Key/Name
I have exact the same issue with a Model 3 picked up 2 days ago. I have an Android Phone. I read elsewhere that the update of the phone app could resolve the issue, but not in my case? Anyone else with and android phone?

Picked up my new Model 3 today, on latest software version, ”walk away door lock” (WADL) was greyed out after I added my phone as a key, but then it un-greyed after I added my key fob, WADL works perfectly with either phone or key fob.

5189B42D-BF4F-4CEB-BE1F-9C0C8E44307E.jpeg
1B421E26-5DA2-4E97-97FE-FDDCA9D76F25.jpeg

Right so it appears it’s a bug in the update and will be addressed when Version 2021.36 becomes available.In that time just pray for a random miracle.

If its seen as a significant issue, I am sure they will release a patch or update for 2021.32.21 - these things don't normally need a full version release to sort and unfortunately for those affected, regressions such as this are quite common. A good reason not to be at the bleeding edge of the release cycle - let the issues get resolved without constantly taking updates.

Reactions: TesTed
I collected yesterday from Tampere, Finland and I have the same bug as well. All keys, including the key cards are listed as Unknown key. While the phone works otherwise, it would be nice to have the Walk Away feature available. The proximity of the phone unlocks the car fine though.