Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad idea. Some people have alarm systems on our houses.

Not sure I understand the objection. Is it because you don't want the car to give any indication when it's close to home in case it is stolen? The buttons would only appear if you are within a couple hundred feet or so, so thief would already have to have a pretty good idea where you live. And s/he could just drive down the block hitting the button anyway. Plus, it should be an option for the auto-popup.

When you can't see what is below the hoodline, the front sensors become very useful. I appreciate them in my current car. I dislike the fact that my SUV doesn't have them.

i've gotten SUPER used to and hooked on the curb/obstacle sensors on the front and back on my car (x5)... even in addition to the backup cam. i use them ALL the time. the front and the rear beep with different tones so you know where and how far you are just from the sound, even though it also has a REALLY cool radar-like display showing the sensor data front and back... i could only dream the S will do something like this.... not holding breath. even though it really should. really...

and tiltdown passenger side mirror.

ugh i'm going to hate giving up some things... i've gotten much more reliant on them then i would have thought.

Another huge problem with not being able to turn rain sensing wipers off is if one wants to go through a car wash. I know that many will NEVER subject their Model S to such abuse, but some of us will from time to time and, if it's not possible to turn off the auto-wipers they'll just keep going in there.

I should've thought of that. The more I think about it, the more I think there must be an override.

When you can't see what is below the hoodline, the front sensors become very useful. I appreciate them in my current car. I dislike the fact that my SUV doesn't have them.
When I got my Prius I found (as did many others) that the position of the car with respect to objects in front and to the right was very difficult to gauge. So one day I found a pole that I could see easily, and parked by it, getting out as needed until I was just where I wanted to be. Then I sat in the car and memorized its position. Then I did the same with my garage door, pulling up close little by little until I was very close to it, and again memorized the position.

It took a few minutes to do, and then I knew where my car was with respect to obstacles. Cameras and tilting mirrors and sonar/radar, etc., are great parking aids, but you can simply learn the space your car occupies and then you don't really need any of that.

Another huge problem with not being able to turn rain sensing wipers off is if one wants to go through a car wash. I know that many will NEVER subject their Model S to such abuse, but some of us will from time to time and, if it's not possible to turn off the auto-wipers they'll just keep going in there.

Yeah, for this and many reasons I'm sure they'll have an off position. Kendall, it's pretty convenient and i imagine you'll get used to them fairly quickly.

Bad idea. Some people have alarm systems on our houses.

I'm sure there will be a setting to disable if this were an option.

When I got my Prius I found (as did many others) that the position of the car with respect to objects in front and to the right was very difficult to gauge. So one day I found a pole that I could see easily, and parked by it, getting out as needed until I was just where I wanted to be. Then I sat in the car and memorized its position. Then I did the same with my garage door, pulling up close little by little until I was very close to it, and again memorized the position.

It took a few minutes to do, and then I knew where my car was with respect to obstacles. Cameras and tilting mirrors and sonar/radar, etc., are great parking aids, but you can simply learn the space your car occupies and then you don't really need any of that.

Let's be serious... How many would actually do this? Especially if they could just have cameras or sensors instead. It's like memorizing your way down a hallway instead of just opening your eyes. Sure you could do it, but if you aren't blind, it's likely easier to not.

Here's one that might be known, but I haven't seen it answered. What does the J1772 adapter look like? Is it something I connect directly to the J1772 plug so I can connect it to the charge port on the Tesla? Or is it something I connect to the J1772, then attach to the UMC, which connects to the car's port? I certainly hope its the former, but I can see how it might be the latter since the electrical outlet end of the UMC is adaptable.

Here's one that might be known, but I haven't seen it answered. What does the J1772 adapter look like? Is it something I connect directly to the J1772 plug so I can connect it to the charge port on the Tesla? Or is it something I connect to the J1772, then attach to the UMC, which connects to the car's port? I certainly hope its the former, but I can see how it might be the latter since the electrical outlet end of the UMC is adaptable.

Going by this picture I assume it's the former:

bkgd_panel-outlet-0.jpg

These adapters are for outlets, but the j1772 arent outlets, they're wires themselves... Can't see how it would work like the above pic without being clumsy and sort of dangerous.

Let's be serious... How many would actually do this? Especially if they could just have cameras or sensors instead. It's like memorizing your way down a hallway instead of just opening your eyes. Sure you could do it, but if you aren't blind, it's likely easier to not.

I have done this with all my cars. But I use cones and broomstick so if I don't have to worry about hitting a pole, you can get really close really fast. I highly recommend it. I have had my car for 6 years, and have only touched a rim to a curb 3 times, twice at almost no speed and producing almost NO curb rash (as I knew I was REALLY close). I did drag my passenger rear driving out of a Chic-fil-A fairly bad. And I regularly put my passenger wheels in the gutter between speed bumps and the curb (at 15mph usually).

It pays off in the long run. You really only need about 2-3 hours one sunday in a deserted parking lot. And a refresher course about once a month, until you get it. After about 3 months total I am within 2 inches on both sides. About 4-6 inches on the front. And about 8 inches on the back. And I lower my seat and sit fairly far back (long legs) so I can't see ANY of my hood.

Again... How many people will do this? If you ran a report nationwide telling people they should spend 2-3 hours one Sunday in a parking lot practicing with their vehicle, how many do you think actually would? Heck, I love e art of driving, but I know I wouldn't. I'd eye it when I needed to and rely on my car's sensors when available.

...now if one is bored on a Sunday... Sure.

Auto/Rain sensing wipers are available on many car brands today. Why would anyone think they would re-invent the way these work? I guess its an unknown technically, but not one I worry about since its not a "new" or "unique" function.

Heh. To someone who bought his car in 2000, it's a very new feature. I'd never heard of it before I read this thread! And reading some generic page about how things work like I did . . . isn't the same as knowing how any carmaker has implemented it in the real world. (shrug) Fortunately ElSupreme (thanks!) was pretty clear on how they work, so I will sleep easier ;-) (no this doesn't really keep me up at night).

Again... How many people will do this? If you ran a report nationwide telling people they should spend 2-3 hours one Sunday in a parking lot practicing with their vehicle, how many do you think actually would? Heck, I love e art of driving, but I know I wouldn't. I'd eye it when I needed to and rely on my car's sensors when available.

...now if one is bored on a Sunday... Sure.

Good point. I agree very few people do this. I even went to a parking lot with a friend, who was impressed by me parking behind a column in a 100% full parking garage. I told him it would be 2-3 hours, and he got bored after about 10 minutes. We left after about 15 minutes.

Heh. To someone who bought his car in 2000, it's a very new feature. I'd never heard of it before I read this thread! And reading some generic page about how things work like I did . . . isn't the same as knowing how any carmaker has implemented it in the real world. (shrug) Fortunately ElSupreme (thanks!) was pretty clear on how they work, so I will sleep easier ;-) (no this doesn't really keep me up at night).

That's cool, I understand it may be new to some people. My tone may have seemed adversarial, but I didn't mean it to be. I was just trying to point out that this is a feature existing on other vehicles and the functionality can (and most likely would) be the same.

Auto/Rain sensing wipers are available on many car brands today. Why would anyone think they would re-invent the way these work? I guess its an unknown technically, but not one I worry about since its not a "new" or "unique" function.

My guess is that since they are sourcing the steering column/turn signal/cruise control from Mercedes that the wiper selector would be the same, off/auto/slow/med/high ...

Let's be serious... How many would actually do this? [Learn to park.] Especially if they could just have cameras or sensors instead. It's like memorizing your way down a hallway instead of just opening your eyes. Sure you could do it, but if you aren't blind, it's likely easier to not.
Learn to park your car once, rather than be dependent on gadgets every time? Easy choice for me. And it took me about ten minutes total. I wasn't trying to get it to the centimeter. Just learning my car. And done once, it's done for the life of the car.

I'd turn your metaphor around: Learning to park is like opening your eyes. Being dependent on gadgets is like being blind and having to be led down the hall every time. (Though I've always been able to find my way around my home in the dark. It helps during power outages, though those were more frequent when I lived in rural N.D. than they are here.)