Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USA Today article also said that rear cup holders were an add-on, so not necessarily standard, but a nice option for those who want them.

If those are an option, sign me up! My family of 4 has far more need for rear-seat cupholders than for a truly comfy fifth seat. My BMW 535 has a drop-down armrest/cupholder, too; it makes the middle seat less comfy than the window seats, but I think we've used that middle seat exactly twice in three years.

If those are an option, sign me up! My family of 4 has far more need for rear-seat cupholders than for a truly comfy fifth seat. My BMW 535 has a drop-down armrest/cupholder, too; it makes the middle seat less comfy than the window seats, but I think we've used that middle seat exactly twice in three years.

Not for me! No one is drinking in my back seat :D (Deja vu - I'm sure I've said this a few times on the forum...)
Plus my kids have cupholders in their booster seats for sippy cups. When they're older maybe they can store a water bottle at their feet or something, but no coffee cups!!!!!!

Not for me! No one is drinking in my back seat :D (Deja vu - I'm sure I've said this a few times on the forum...)
Plus my kids have cupholders in their booster seats for sippy cups. When they're older maybe they can store a water bottle at their feet or something, but no coffee cups!!!!!!
I'll check back with you in ten years when your kids are old enough to argue. :wink: And believe me, coffee cups are much better than soda. Spilled coffee causes far less damage!

I'll check back with you in ten years when your kids are old enough to argue. :wink: And believe me, coffee cups are much better than soda. Spilled coffee causes far less damage!

Plenty of non-spill drinking containers on the market (even in the Tesla store). There is a climate element to be taken into account here. We average 361 days sunshine a year and dehydration is a danger for kids so we always have water in the car. Cup holders front and back are important.

The OP kicked off this thread with a laundry-list of questions. Let's see what we can do to answer them based on yesterday's drives. Perhaps those who are driving today can use the time to answer a few unknowns. My responses are in blue, pending questions are in red

Unknowns:
3G/4G connectivity: LTE? Carrier? Cost per month? Will their be hotspot functionality?
  • It has a SIM, meaning most likely ATT (or Tmobile? unlikely)
  • Definitely has hotspot capability
  • Signature cars come with one year free
Convenience lighting: Where is it? When does it turn on?
  • Includes down-firing LED lights on handles when opened
  • Possibly includes other internal lighting (or are these other internal lights standard?)
Music control: Can you edit and add to your music library over wifi? What form of iPod/iPhone/MP3 player functionality will it have?
Smartphone app: What will you be able to do? Map? Pre-condition? Cost? Live later this summer?
  • App is expected to be free
  • Definitely can pre-condition car, open charge port, check SOC
  • Other functionality?
Panoramic roof shade: What will it look like? What will it be made out of?
Supercharger network: Cost? Locations?
  • One hour charge for 85 ? 150 miles of range added in 30 minutes. Charging slows as the battery gets to high SOC, so a complete 0-100% charge will take more than an hour
Homelink: Where is it located? How many buttons?
  • Almost surely on touchscreen, so "many" buttons. Any field reports?
Wiper blades: Will there be a off function?
  • Yes; wiper setting can be on/auto/off
Electrocromatic mirrors: Is the rear view mirror electrocromatic? Is that a standard feature?
  • Yes, internal rear mirror is electrochromatic [standard?]
Keyless entry: Will it be available at launch?
Speakers: How bad do the standard speakers sound?
"Textile" seats: What will they be like? How adjustable?
  • 8-way adjustable (no lumbar support, which is only on leather seating)
  • No memory settings (again, found only on leather)
  • Comfort? Impressions?
Badging: How will it be badged? P85? R60?
  • Badging other than "Model S" seems to have disappeared. Not even a signature on the Signatures!
Bluetooth: How will the phone contacts work? A2DP?
Center console accessory: Availability? Cost?
  • "Called the opportunity console" Prototypes available to see at the launch event.
Service: How much will it cost? What will be covered?
  • Battery degradation covered? No.
Charging locations finder: Can you use the touchscreen to find a charging station- YES? Are they in use or not?
Battery swapping: Can you rent a 85 kWh pack for a road trip?

And the real big questions: What will the differences between signatures and regular production be? Headliner difference? Seat difference?
Actual Performance: What will the ACTUAL numbers be? 0-60? Slalom? Skidpad? RANGE?

Here is the list of questions I will attempt to get answered today at the test drive event in Fremont, wish me luck as I might get distracted by all the shiny, pretty Model S'... :)

* Under which conditions does the car creep and is creeping user modifyable?

* How will the 21" handle many potholes over time and those low profile tires?

* How are the electric motors wound? I heard by machine for standard and by hand for tighter wire overlays for performance?

* Are these cars 100% production? If not, what might be the 1% difference?

* How will the leather hold up after 6 or 7 years? My Accord started cracking after 4! Longevity tests done?

* Where is the SIM swap slot for GSM?

* Panoramic roof shade looks like?

* Home link buttons?

* May I please see the keyless entry in action? How will it work exactly with the tech package?

* No Signature badging? Any identifying markers besides the trim on the outside for Signature cars?

* Is the front plate mounted required? How are front plate bracket’s attached(are holes drilled)?

* Any new details on battery swapping? Can a person with a 40kw battery swap to the 85kw for a long trip and swap back on returning for example?

* Can I see examples of all the opportunity center consoles and do we have estimated prices on them? How do they attach? Is the new ribbed floor now a "standard" feature?

Did I miss anything glaring from the above, if it interest me and I have the time, I'll ask it!

EDIT: Just updated the list of questions 8:40AM PDT, I am out of here in about 2 hours to the even, so EXCITED!

Last edited:
How will the leather hold up after 6 or 7 years? My Accord started cracking after 4!

That's really good for leather. One year is the usual cracking start date for the cars with leather that I've had/seen. I really don't understand why anyone would want uncomfortable and short lived leather. And I wish there were more colours in cloth.

That's really good for leather. One year is the usual cracking start date for the cars with leather that I've had/seen. I really don't understand why anyone would want uncomfortable and short lived leather. And I wish there were more colours in cloth.

I'm still asking about the longevity testing... ;) Nothing worse then to see cracked leather in your beautiful car when you get it, such an eyesore! :( Well, that and the first ding also brings rage and a tear to my eyes!

I really don't understand why anyone would want uncomfortable and short lived leather.

Someone who doesn't find leather uncomfortable? ;) I used to swear by cloth seats, but after having them in one car, I wouldn't go back personally. As for longevity, I don't have cracked leather in any of our cars, though I do have some scrapes on one of our seats. Easier to clean too IMO, while I always struggled with cloth.

Yes. So far I've never managed to go three days without a "first ding". The annoying part is that that it's always been others that have hit my car when it was parked.

I hear you! I would love to hear creative ways that masters of parking to avoid dings, what they have done to save us from that dreaded day! BUT OUCH, 3 days? My shortest was 3 months on a new car, but I will park blocks away and walk it if I have to, well, until the first few dings, then I give up! :(

I hear you! I would love to hear creative ways that masters of parking to avoid dings, what they have done to save us from that dreaded day! BUT OUCH, 3 days? My shortest was 3 months on a new car, but I will park blocks away and walk it if I have to, well, until the first few dings, then I give up! :(

Well, the 2004 Prius got dinged the first day I drove it to work (it was scratch-free all weekend).
The 2001 Prius got dinged the very first day.
I actually don't recall the Land-Rover's or DS-21's first dings, but that was 1972/1969.

Well, the 2004 Prius got dinged the first day I drove it to work (it was scratch-free all weekend).
The 2001 Prius got dinged the very first day.
I actually don't recall the Land-Rover's or DS-21's first dings, but that was 1972/1969.

That sucks! We will have to add a threat once we get our cars, who has the first ding on their Model S and post a sad photo as misery loves company. Back on the topic, I never heard anything about "Hill Assist" or basically keeping the car from rolling backwards on a steep grade on the Model S so I am adding that question to the list as well!

I have a funny story that kind of goes the other way.... A friend of mine bought a new work truck for his company. He call a morning meeting with all of the employees in the parking lot next to the new truck. He gave a long speech about driving safely and taking care of the new truck. Then he turned around kicked the door and put a dent in it. Everyone gasped! " OK, now nobody needs to worry about being fired if you put the first dent in it! Meeting adjourned!"