TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unlimited Free Supercharging for 2016 models changed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sundial77, Aug 5, 2018.

1. sundial77

sundial77 Member

I'm new to this forum, so please don't blast me for asking a question that has been discussed a fair amount. I am looking at purchasing a used 2016 Model S P100D from a 3rd party car dealership. When I called Tesla Customer Service the rep told be that he was just told that cars PURCHASED after Jan. 1, 2017 would not transfer the Unlimited Free Supercharging. I reminded him that this car was MANUFACTURED prior to Jan. 1, 2017. He said that his understanding was still that the supercharging would NOT transfer but he seemed unsure.

Has anyone NOT had Unlimited Free Supercharging transfer on a private purchase of a 2016 model recently? I am nervous about buying and/or changing the registration on the car. It definitely supercharges at the moment.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. Tes La Ferrari

I could be wrong - but my understanding is that it would be based on delivery date. When was this car first delivered ?

• Like x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Have the seller show you what is says about Supercharging in their My Tesla account. It will specifically say if it will transfer to the next owner or not.

Edit: I see it is at a dealership, so they might not have it transferred to a My Tesla account under their name. And in that case it would be really hard to know.

• Informative x 2
  4. MartinPF

MartinPF Member

I ordered a MS 90D in December 2016 and thus followed the events fairly closely.
    * the original cutoff was Dec 31, 2016;
    * the cutoff was extended to mid-january 2017
    * the relevant action to meet the cutoff was the date the order was placed; I ordered on december 20th; the car had a 2017 vin and was delivered in march 2017. This car had unlimited supercharging which transferred to the new owner when it was sold this spring.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. sundial77

sundial77 Member

The car was first delivered in December 2016.

6. pkodali

pkodali Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the car?

7. sundial77

sundial77 Member

Thanks Martin. My car was delivered in December 2016 so I would think that the supercharging would transfer but I don't have any way to contact the original owner to have them look at their MyTesla account. I appreciate your response!

8. sundial77

sundial77 Member

$106K

9. pkodali

pkodali Member

Does it have AP2?

10. dirkbike1

dirkbike1 Member

I bought a 2016 P100D used private party original owner this year. The build date is December 2016 and the warranty start date is April 2017. It has free supercharging.

11. sundial77

sundial77 Member

Thank you!

12. MP3Mike

How do you know when it was delivered?

13. Tes La Ferrari

Have a look at the warranty start date. Also, you could call a Tesla Service Center and ask them when the car was delivered. This should also match up with the warranty start date.

If you can confirm the order was placed pre- Jan 15/17, my guess is that you should be ok, but I would get written confirmation from an Tesla before pulling the trigger.

14. sundial77

sundial77 Member

Well, I have a Carfax report that shows it was titled in December 2016. I think that would certainly come after the car was built and delivered, would it not?

15. MP3Mike

I guess the remaining question is: Was it purchased with a referral code? Almost all of them were, but it is possible someone didn't use a referral code and then it wouldn't have free Supercharging. (Or maybe that started in 2017, I'm not 100% clear on the timeline.)

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

A referral code wasn't necessary for free Supercharging in 2016. In 2015 and 2016, the referral code gave the buyer other benefits such as Tesla credits or wall connectors. In Q2 of 2017, after free Supercharging""ended", the referral code was necessary in order for the buyer to receive free Supercharging.

• Helpful x 1
  17. appleguru

appleguru Member

Another data point: One of the main reasons I ended up buying an inventory car was because it included free supercharging. I had test driven an AP1 car in Dec 2016, and wanted to wait for AP2. My car was built in late Nov, 2016. Order was placed and deposit put down in early Feb 2017. I picked it up from Tesla the last day of March 2017. It has free supercharging. The current text in my Tesla account (which has changed several times since I bought the car...):

So, in actuality, for the non-referal based "free supercharging" (the kind that follows the car), Tesla seems to be using the car's build date (and possibly also the customer's order date, whichever is earlier) to determine eligibility. If your car was built before Jan 31, 2018 or you placed your order before Jan 31, 2018, you are likely eligible.

• Helpful x 1
  18. roblab

roblab Active Member

It seems when you say supercharging, you mean "free".

Supercharging costs seem to be about what one would pay for charging at home, sometimes less. The idea that a car with supercharging should be free doesn't make sense. The costs are minimal. The convenience of charging on a trip is great. Even if you end up with a car with "free" supercharging, it's a small benefit over a year of driving, unless you're a cross country salesman. It's not like paying for gas.

• Like x 2
  19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

The 2018 date shouldn't be confused with the ~1/15/2017 date (originally 12/31/16) when all non-referral free Supercharging ended. Free Supercharging after 1/15/2017 required the use of a referral code.

The 2018 date that you mention is a date that allowed current owners to order another car without needing to use a referral code to get free Supercharging. Originally, there wasn't an expiration and it was worded such that any future S or X would have free Supercharging. Eventually, they added a time limit so that they wouldn't have to provide free Supercharging for any car you ever bought in the future.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Wow, your timing was exactly same as mine; Nov 2016 produced inventory car, closed on last day of March 2017. Though I didn't place a deposit until the day before closing; I distinctly remember the end of non-referral "free supercharging" being one of my factors to not wait until Q2 2017, thinking I'd be in the relatively few refreshed fascia cars to have unlimited supercharging.

Of course, mere days later they announced the "referral backdoor free supercharging" which continued for the rest of 2017....

• Funny x 1