Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited Free Supercharging for 2016 models changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another data point: One of the main reasons I ended up buying an inventory car was because it included free supercharging. I had test driven an AP1 car in Dec 2016, and wanted to wait for AP2. My car was built in late Nov, 2016. Order was placed and deposit put down in early Feb 2017. I picked it up from Tesla the last day of March 2017. It has free supercharging. The current text in my Tesla account (which has changed several times since I bought the car...):

So, in actuality, for the non-referal based "free supercharging" (the kind that follows the car), Tesla seems to be using the car's build date (and possibly also the customer's order date, whichever is earlier) to determine eligibility. If your car was built before Jan 31, 2018 or you placed your order before Jan 31, 2018, you are likely eligible.
Thank you very much. I'm thinking I will be OK as well.

It seems when you say supercharging, you mean "free".

Supercharging costs seem to be about what one would pay for charging at home, sometimes less. The idea that a car with supercharging should be free doesn't make sense. The costs are minimal. The convenience of charging on a trip is great. Even if you end up with a car with "free" supercharging, it's a small benefit over a year of driving, unless you're a cross country salesman. It's not like paying for gas.
Your point is well taken. The convenience is a big deal. On the other hand, I estimate that I would use about $500- $1,000/year of supercharging electricity. If I keep the car for 7-10 years, it could add up to $10K which is substantial.

thank
Another data point: One of the main reasons I ended up buying an inventory car was because it included free supercharging. I had test driven an AP1 car in Dec 2016, and wanted to wait for AP2. My car was built in late Nov, 2016. Order was placed and deposit put down in early Feb 2017. I picked it up from Tesla the last day of March 2017. It has free supercharging. The current text in my Tesla account (which has changed several times since I bought the car...):

So, in actuality, for the non-referal based "free supercharging" (the kind that follows the car), Tesla seems to be using the car's build date (and possibly also the customer's order date, whichever is earlier) to determine eligibility. If your car was built before Jan 31, 2018 or you placed your order before Jan 31, 2018, you are likely eligible.
Thank you so much! This is good info!!

The 2018 date shouldn't be confused with the ~1/15/2017 date (originally 12/31/16) when all non-referral free Supercharging ended. Free Supercharging after 1/15/2017 required the use of a referral code.

The 2018 date that you mention is a date that allowed current owners to order another car without needing to use a referral code to get free Supercharging. Originally, there wasn't an expiration and it was worded such that any future S or X would have free Supercharging. Eventually, they added a time limit so that they wouldn't have to provide free Supercharging for any car you ever bought in the future.

Does the 2018 date mean transferable supercharging to the next owner on a used sale from the first owner ? Or if a Tesla owner bought a new car between Jan 2017 and Jan 2018 - is it more like referral code supercharging that ends when ownership transfers from the first owner?

Does the 2018 date mean transferable supercharging to the next owner on a used sale from the first owner ? Or if a Tesla owner bought a new car between Jan 2017 and Jan 2018 - is it more like referral code supercharging that ends when ownership transfers from the first owner?
AFAIK, the 2018 date was just a date for the existing owner to be able to buy another Tesla with Supercharging without needing to use a referral code. Of course any existing owner could use a referral code and get free Supercharging that way, as well as any referral prize. The free lifetime Supercharging that transfers when a car is sold ended around January 15th, 2017 and I haven't heard of anyone receiving it on cars ordered after that date.