Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited Free Supercharging MS Locked Out of Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call roadside assistance.
Doubt if that will work. It used to, but no more.

Last week My car was dead in the service center driveway after hours, they (Roadside) could do nothing to help. Did not even text a message to the SA, as they promised.

What will work based on my recent experience is go to a SC early tommorow, optional to bring food for the sales staff, and see if someone will walk you though getting an appt through the App. Chances are they will just walk to the SC counter and someone will work your issue while you wait.

Even without the attorney, a sternly-worded registered letter threatening legal action in default of satisfaction will have better effect and creates a paper-trail. It is more likely to be escalated for resolution than a phone-call to some service-desk where you must suffer as they work through the standard fob-off script and forget about it just as soon as you hang up.

Here's my $0.02 from 37+ years of lawyering in California where you might be and I expect in most places. Many have heard the old honey v vinegar adage, well, I've found "Please help" works faster and more often than "wtf?" Back peddling is not as fast as it's opposite

Here's my $0.02 from 37+ years of lawyering in California where you might be and I expect in most places. Many have heard the old honey v vinegar adage, well, I've found "Please help" works faster and more often than "wtf?" Back peddling is not as fast as it's opposite

You're probably right, but waiting for FSD to shape up has rendered me somewhat apt to lash out! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
Update for anyone following this thread:

When I went to start the car today, only my front dash screen would turn on, but now with a message directly in-vehicle stating supercharging is disabled. None of my big center screen, A/C or turn signals (scary when driving!) worked today (hazards still work if I push the hazard button so it doesn’t seem like the lights themselves are out). I first tried doing a soft reset, then hard reset, then tried calling roadside assistance—no dice. Roadside assistance said to schedule an appointment with a service center. Luckily my app was now able to connect to my car and I was able to schedule an appointment next Saturday (I work during the weekdays and it’s difficult for me to take time off). Will provide further updates if folks are interested.

A question to the OP. When did you buy your car. Was this new or did you buy used?
To answer the above I bought the car early last year (2019) used directly through Tesla and it had free supercharging when I bought it (and still shows it as free supercharging in my account online).

Last edited:
From experience, if you're stuck and _need_ to supercharge _now_, pay the bill, and resolve it later with an email to Tesla customer service.
Not the quickest route, but they are good at chasing down the logs and paper trail and sorting things out with a refund.

Thank you, Hank42! Luckily I have access to a regular charger at home so not in a rush but kind of annoyed now that (today) Tesla seems to have disabled a lot of the cars features including the turn signals (unless they are coincidentally failing at the same time—definitely possible). Hopefully my service center visit next weekend will yield some results.

Thank you, Hank42! Luckily I have access to a regular charger at home so not in a rush but kind of annoyed now that (today) Tesla seems to have disabled a lot of the cars features including the turn signals (unless they are coincidentally failing at the same time—definitely possible). Hopefully my service center visit next weekend will yield some results.

IMHO, the problems you're now seeing are more likely the result of some kind of malfunction than Tesla deliberately disabling something.

Bruce.

IMHO, the problems you're now seeing are more likely the result of some kind of malfunction than Tesla deliberately disabling something.

Bruce.
Good to know! Timing caught me a little off-guard since today is the first time I’ve seen the supercharger disabled message in-dash (and all the other failures happening at the same time). Hopefully can be resolved (or at least have more info this coming Saturday).

Good to know! Timing caught me a little off-guard since today is the first time I’ve seen the supercharger disabled message in-dash (and all the other failures happening at the same time).

Um, well you know that was just the opinion of a random guy on the Internet, right? :)

I'd be unsettled with all these unexpected things going on too. I hope they can get everything back to normal soon. Good luck!

Bruce.

PS. While your car is in this state, consider taking some photos or video. It doesn't sound like your car is going to magically get better on its own, but it might be good to have some documentation of what the current problems are.

Um, well you know that was just the opinion of a random guy on the Internet, right? :)

I'd be unsettled with all these unexpected things going on too. I hope they can get everything back to normal soon. Good luck!

Bruce.

PS. While your car is in this state, consider taking some photos or video. It doesn't sound like your car is going to magically get better on its own, but it might be good to have some documentation of what the current problems are.
Haha well I think you probably know more than I do (or at least might have a better guess than I would) on what might be happening here (with your “seniority”—is that the right term?—on these forums and those cool badges)! :) great idea on video! I’ve been taking photos but just also took a video showing the signal lights not working but the hazard lights working—video is much better for that.

and completely understood you are just another community member, but I really do appreciate the feedback here! These forums are a great resource for when I have any issues; I’ve read many of the topics here and resolved problems without having to pull my hair out.

Reactions: OPRCE
Doubt if that will work. It used to, but no more.

Last week My car was dead in the service center driveway after hours, they (Roadside) could do nothing to help. Did not even text a message to the SA, as they promised.

What will work based on my recent experience is go to a SC early tommorow, optional to bring food for the sales staff, and see if someone will walk you though getting an appt through the App. Chances are they will just walk to the SC counter and someone will work your issue while you wait.
Sounds like OP has bigger problems now (MCU/eMMC), but roadside assistance should’ve been easily able to tell him where the charges came from, like a true idle fee.

• Funny
Reactions: jslanger
As another California attorney (not as long though), I second this. Jumping straight to hiring an attorney is way overkill. I'm sure it's an MCU failure issue.