Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging disappearing from used/cpo cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
I've seen tesla-info report that the unlimited supercharging codes have been changed to pay per use on pretty much all used/cpo inventory. So even cars built in say 2015 when all cars had unlimited supercharging are having it taken away when they're being resold by Tesla. This is not the same as the referral cars where only the first owner had it

Is this news? I'd not heard about it before.

And any thoughts on what would happen on a private sale?

Just curious, has anyone experienced a range reduction with the recent software update.
My full charge capacity dropped from 268 down to 228.
I purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with a ‘suggested’ range of 270miles.
Back in 2015-16 I did a lot of long trips down the coast from SF to LA and managed full charging to 268,
When doing regular driving/charging I would do the recommended daily charging,
After the recent update my full charge range DROPPED TO 228. With the 80% charging now being imposed by Tesla at supercharger locations my range is now 200.
I purchased a Model S 85D for the range and now Tesla has reduced my 85 to a 60.
Worse then that they state that this is NORMAL BATTERY DEGRADATION and not covered under the warranty.
MAD AS HELL.
FreddyQ

that the unlimited supercharging codes have been changed to pay per use on pretty much all used/cpo inventory

Yes, this appears to be the case.

Is this news? I'd not heard about it before.

Rumors of this happening started a couple of months ago, but now it appears to be completed. All used cars for sale are now SC04-Pay Per Use Supercharging (over 800 cars currently in the U.S.).

And any thoughts on what would happen on a private sale?

Depends on the used car. If it had FUSC before, then it will remain with the car and transfer to the new private owner for cars with grandfathered FUSC bought before Jan 2017. For cars after that, it's unknown.

But since Tesla is taking possession of these used cars to resell, it is within their right to strip out FUSC for resale. It's neither right nor ethical to do so, but they are doing it.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and croman
Just curious, has anyone experienced a range reduction with the recent software update.
My full charge capacity dropped from 268 down to 228.
I purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with a ‘suggested’ range of 270miles.
Back in 2015-16 I did a lot of long trips down the coast from SF to LA and managed full charging to 268,
When doing regular driving/charging I would do the recommended daily charging,
After the recent update my full charge range DROPPED TO 228. With the 80% charging now being imposed by Tesla at supercharger locations my range is now 200.
I purchased a Model S 85D for the range and now Tesla has reduced my 85 to a 60.
Worse then that they state that this is NORMAL BATTERY DEGRADATION and not covered under the warranty.
MAD AS HELL.
FreddyQ
There is a huge thread about it

Reactions: cwerdna
There are certain ones that seem to still have unlimited super charging. Seems like older ones or repaired ones. I am looking at a model 3 or used S. Before this it was hands down S, but this changes things. Or has me reevaluating my choices and what is critical. I will be using Super charging often on long drives to Atlanta from Charlotte. The constant changes ultimately have me delaying my purchase.

You all do realize that about 2-3 weeks of depreciation would generally pay for about a year's worth of Supercharger fees for most normal use -- right? :p

I get it that it's definitely something nice to have...

Yeah, it's interesting when you put it into that perspective because you're probably right. It's weird for me that in my mind I feel like I don't want to upgrade to a Raven because I would lose my free supercharging... even though it probably amounts to around $100/year for me. It's probably one of the cheapest legitimate value-add's that Tesla can offer.

I looked at a bunch of 2013 cars on ev-cpo and, yes, the option is now "pay per use" supercharging. It could be a coding issue - but if they did remove it, it may be to help relieve congestion at SC sites. Since they are selling the car, they can do things like add the AP in if it wasn't bought initially, or uncork a battery. But they can also remove as well, The free transferable supercharging should be fine with a private sale, though.

When I was considering free supercharging vs timing of my purchase at the end of 2016 a friend who knows me well pointed out that every time I supercharged and paid I'd resent the guy next to me getting it free and every time I charged for free vice versa.

Are you also going to resent the guy next to you who bought a car year later than you and ended up with new features or paid less?

Enjoy what you have and buy what you want. The rest about what other people do is irrelevant in the cosmic soup :)

I looked at a bunch of 2013 cars on ev-cpo and, yes, the option is now "pay per use" supercharging. It could be a coding issue - but if they did remove it, it may be to help relieve congestion at SC sites. Since they are selling the car, they can do things like add the AP in if it wasn't bought initially, or uncork a battery. But they can also remove as well, The free transferable supercharging should be fine with a private sale, though.

Not a coding error. See: Unlimited supercharging disappearing from used/cpo cars

It's neither right nor ethical to do so, but they are doing it.

I fail to see how you can say it isn't right or ethical.. the cars are theirs, the original owner had exactly what they paid for and the next owner will get exactly what they paid for.

As long as private sales are not affected then I fail to see how this is anything other than good for other Tesla owners, and not even close to an ethical issue...

I saw it as a nice perk, not really a selling point for me. I'm waiting for more info on the model Y (mainly the 7 seater), but I'm leaning more to get an S.

I charge at home 99% of the time. I also been reading about throttling as the batteries get older/heavily supercharged, so less supercharging is probably better.