Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging disappearing from used/cpo cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's interesting when you put it into that perspective because you're probably right. It's weird for me that in my mind I feel like I don't want to upgrade to a Raven because I would lose my free supercharging... even though it probably amounts to around $100/year for me. It's probably one of the cheapest legitimate value-add's that Tesla can offer.

I don’t use it much but I really do enjoy the free supercharging when I use it. I know it’s worth less than $600 or so a year but it is what’s keeping me from spending $50K or so to upgrade to a ludicrous raven. It makes no sense, I know, but it’s visceral so it doesn’t need to make sense.

Since I won’t get it on the new car, the free supercharging is going to save me $50K. Hah, and people say it isn’t worth much!

Personally I like the move as free SuperCharging is not that much of a benefit and it sure clogs up Charging stations. I recently took a 2200 mile trip charging across 5 states and racked up $53 in fees. Not bad when you need it. Charging at home is so convenient but many seem to go out of their way for a “free” charge.
Which states were those?
Seems extremely low, in California 2200 miles would be around 200 bucks.

Late last night I first noticed this at around 2 AM, and it was confirmed by the "Preowned Agent" via email that the programme officially ended on Friday. This is both a marketing and long term business plan error. Tesla seemingly makes these decisions by the seat of its pants. Even if this was a strategic move, would it not make more sense to announce this a month ago to move used inventory?

Yet, once again, Tesla operates like an amateur business, a mum and pop shop.

Tesla will only have this stranglehold on electrified vehicles for another 2 to 5 years at most. Eventually the differentiating factor has to be not merely the cars, as I suspect the industry will probably surpass that of nay of Tesla's offerings, rather it will be their infrastructure and customer experience. The former has a formidable lead, the latter has a seemingly generational gap to reach average at best.

Providing "Free Supercharging" or even annual credits will be one of the many ways Tesla can engender loyalty and foster a better relationship with its customers and further improve retention.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Was there any official announcement on this? Anyone bought recently a used one from Tesla and talked to them? For all we know could this be a simple software mistake? Did Tesla say anything anywhere about this?

To me this is a demand lever for model 3. Many people were buying used for the “free charging”. With that taken away a $37,000 4 year old model S is less attractive to new owners and will likely skew them towards a new car.

Another thought: Supercharging older cars is causing battery issues and Tesla is trying to alleviate some of the potential warranty issues that can arise by pushing customers to new cars or to home charge.

Regardless I think this will definitely help the issue with owners overcrowding Superchargers as more and more Teslas hit the road.

Was there any official announcement on this? Anyone bought recently a used one from Tesla and talked to them? For all we know could this be a simple software mistake? Did Tesla say anything anywhere about this?

Just picked up my CPO 2015 Model S from Tesla three days ago and it does appear to still have free supercharging, even this is no longer promised or advertised by Tesla’s CPO site.

My experience: I ordered the vehicle about 3 weeks ago, which was about a week after they announced they were removing FUSC from all CPO vehicles. There is absolutely no mention of FUSC on the vehicle configuration sheet or on my purchase agreement, so presumably I would have to pay for supercharging. On my way home from picking the car up, I stopped at a supercharger and got an approx 60 kWh charge, which should be about $12-$15 based on the prices/kWh listed on the nav screen. However, the screen said “Current Session: $0.00” throughout that session and there has been no fee charged to my credit card since that session.

I’m not gonna ask Tesla about it because I don’t want them removing the option code if it is a mistake, but I have a theory that instead of removing FUSC from CPOs that previously sold with transferable FUSC (pre-2017 I think), they’re simply no longer advertising FUSC on these vehicles. The reasons I think this are:
1) My experience above
2) I’m not sure if it would be legal in all jurisdictions that Tesla sells CPOs in to remove a feature from a vehicle that was previously advertised and included on the original vehicle configuration/Monroney sticker
3) It is in Tesla’s best interest to sell NEW vehicles (higher sales numbers to report to shareholders, higher profit margins on new vehicles, etc). For some people, FUSC is an incentive that influences the buying decision. By removing this incentive from CPOs (and more recently by including it for new inventory/spec vehicles), Tesla is steering those people away from buying CPO and toward buying new.

Closest supercharger to me is way out of my way on the other side of town so don’t know when I’ll get to try it again, but as of right now it would seem that pre-2017 CPOs still have FUSC, even though it’s not advertised (based on my anecdotal evidence; YMMV).

Just picked up my CPO 2015 Model S from Tesla three days ago and it does appear to still have free supercharging, even this is no longer promised or advertised by Tesla’s CPO site.

My experience: I ordered the vehicle about 3 weeks ago, which was about a week after they announced they were removing FUSC from all CPO vehicles. There is absolutely no mention of FUSC on the vehicle configuration sheet or on my purchase agreement, so presumably I would have to pay for supercharging. On my way home from picking the car up, I stopped at a supercharger and got an approx 60 kWh charge, which should be about $12-$15 based on the prices/kWh listed on the nav screen. However, the screen said “Current Session: $0.00” throughout that session and there has been no fee charged to my credit card since that session.

I’m not gonna ask Tesla about it because I don’t want them removing the option code if it is a mistake, but I have a theory that instead of removing FUSC from CPOs that previously sold with transferable FUSC (pre-2017 I think), they’re simply no longer advertising FUSC on these vehicles. The reasons I think this are:
1) My experience above
2) I’m not sure if it would be legal in all jurisdictions that Tesla sells CPOs in to remove a feature from a vehicle that was previously advertised and included on the original vehicle configuration/Monroney sticker
3) It is in Tesla’s best interest to sell NEW vehicles (higher sales numbers to report to shareholders, higher profit margins on new vehicles, etc). For some people, FUSC is an incentive that influences the buying decision. By removing this incentive from CPOs (and more recently by including it for new inventory/spec vehicles), Tesla is steering those people away from buying CPO and toward buying new.

Closest supercharger to me is way out of my way on the other side of town so don’t know when I’ll get to try it again, but as of right now it would seem that pre-2017 CPOs still have FUSC, even though it’s not advertised (based on my anecdotal evidence; YMMV).

I’m not sure but I think they give you a day or so’s free supercharging to get the car home.

Are you really saying that in some jurisdictions that it is illegal to sell a car that has been modified from the Monroney sticker? :eek:

For example:
  • Different tires.
  • Different wheels.
  • Repainted a different color
  • Interior reupholstered
  • Brakes upgraded/downgraded
  • In an ICE: engine replaced with a different one.
  • etc.
BTW: Tesla ended the CPO program about a year ago, so you didn't buy a CPO.

• Funny
Reactions: ahkahn
Are you really saying that in some jurisdictions that it is illegal to sell a car that has been modified from the Monroney sticker? :eek:

For example:
  • Different tires.
  • Different wheels.
  • Repainted a different color
  • Interior reupholstered
  • Brakes upgraded/downgraded
  • In an ICE: engine replaced with a different one.
  • etc.
BTW: Tesla ended the CPO program about a year ago, so you didn't buy a CPO.

I think he's saying that just like an aircraft, the vehicle must remain exactly as it came from the factory (well, unless you have an FAA modification approval (STC), that is)...

Sorry, pilot humor. ;) Couldn't resist.

• Funny
Reactions: erik_k
Well, Tesla has upgraded a lot of cars post- Monroney sticker:

-- Ludicrous Upgrades
--60kW to 75kW range increase
--AP/EAP/FSD Upgrades
--75kW battery "uncorking"

...I'm sure there are more.

I'm not sure which laws this would fall under. If Tesla takes possession of the car to resell (i.e. 'used'), I think it's well within their rights to modify the specs for resale, as long as those changes are communicated to any potential buyers.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, Tesla has upgraded a lot of cars post- Monroney sticker:

-- Ludicrous Upgrades
--60kW to 75kW range increase
--AP/EAP/FSD Upgrades
--75kW battery "uncorking"

...I'm sure there are more.

I'm not sure which laws this would fall under. If Tesla takes possession of the car to resell (i.e. 'used'), I think it's well within their rights to modify the specs for resale, as long as those changes are communicated to any potential buyers.
Yeah I tried googling that and couldn’t find anything
The fact is they can sell the car with as many modifications as they want as long as the monroney sticker isn’t used to advertise the vehicles features.