Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get unlimited supercharging for Performance Model 3's via referrals. Is this new? I don't recall seeing this a week ago when I checked.

Tesla Referral Program

Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance
Share your referral code to give five of your friends free unlimited Supercharging with a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance.
+ but Ohioans cannot get the 450.00 cash or 760.00 towards a car . It is in the fine print, Ohio and Va have laws against it. :(

Any current owners (of S/X) care to comment what Free Unlimited supercharging is actually worth? Like, I'm in LA and it's cool to know that I could drive to NYC & back for free (literally), but a) that's gonna be a super rare occurrence, and b) since one doesn't supercharge on the regular, how often does this come into play? I don't yet have an EV (P3D on order) so asking as a noob.

For us, the "free" supercharging is a key reason we have kept the car. We have a 220 mile round trip drive that we have to do every few days and we use the supercharger on both legs of the trip (there's a lot of short drives at the destination and we don't want to be driving around with a low SOC). We have the EV-A rate and would have to charge during the day without supercharging. So with the P85D, it's not an insignificant savings when you consider our highest rates are around $.40.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy and FlatSix911
Does unlimited supercharging mean 1000 Kw/h a year for life or UNLIMITED?
giphy.gif

On of the key ones:
People going out of their way to use supercharging as their only electricity source because it's "free", with a number of undesirable ramifications.
That's personal.

Some people live in apartments with no alternative.

How would you be able to tell if someone is using Superchargers as their "only electricity source"? Some people drive 1 mile a week and others 1000 miles a week.

I know you insist on things being completely literal :) - but the below seems good enough for me ...
I don't insist on it, but it is helpful. ;)

Unless I misread, the portion you showed speaks to the billing rate being the same and the annual credit applying. It doesn't speak about "free unlimited".

That said, I suspect a decent lawyer could make the argument that the "free credit annually" language implies that similar treatment should be offered to folks with, effectively, "infinity" annual credit.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
How would you be able to tell if someone is using Superchargers as their "only electricity source"? Some people drive 1 mile a week and others 1000 miles a week.
That's not what I was saying. In no way do I think I or Tesla can reasonably (meaning simultaneously cost effectively and fairly) regulate such a thing.

What I was saying is that there are definitely cases where people are motived to do foolish and/or "bad" things in the name of "free". This is something that any company should consider when incentivizing a variety of behaviors by making features/facilities "free".

I don't insist on it, but it is helpful. ;)

Unless I misread, the portion you showed speaks to the billing rate being the same and the annual credit applying. It doesn't speak about "free unlimited".

That said, I suspect a decent lawyer could make the argument that the "free credit annually" language implies that similar treatment should be offered to folks with, effectively, "infinity" annual credit.
Of course it's free, there, too.

The "urban" version the Super Chargers are the same network, they are Super Chargers first and foremost. Even though they are electrically configured a little different in that they run in the equivalent to "always split between lanes" mode rather than being able to peak at 120kW when there's nobody in the second half of an A/B lane pair. (Two lanes together come to a slightly higher 150kW total, rather than the 135kW total that regular, current most-up-to-date SCs do.)

EDIT: BTW that "always split between lanes" mode kind sucks for those Urban SC that are in per minute States for those without free SC. It means that from 0% to about 50% SOC you're going to be paying near double what you do at a traditional SC that has the other side of the A/B unused (or the other vehicle is at a high SOC so taking a % of the overall charge rate).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There’s a time cost to supercharging (plus the “move your car within 5 minutes” cost) which discourages unnecessary supercharging. It doesn’t stop unnecessary supercharging, but I think it’s enough to blunt some of the increase in unnecessary supercharging brought about by the latest promo.

Have to admit, I'm pretty pleased about getting free supercharging on my upcoming performance model, but I don't think this will change my behavior one bit. I can't imagine going out of my way to stand around a parking lot just to save a few bucks. This would negate one of the bigger benefits of an electric vehicle--not having to make a special stop or trip to get fuel, and waking up each morning with a "full tank."

But I've never owned an EV or a Tesla, so don't have any experience with Superchargers. Given all the consternation from previous owners not directly benefiting from this, perhaps this is a problem. I guess you can never underestimate people's capacity to do ridiculous things.

But if anyone is worried about this move by Tesla, I'm here to reassure you that at least one recipient (me) does not plan to abuse it. Perhaps I'll take a couple more road trips each year...

There’s a time cost to supercharging (plus the “move your car within 5 minutes” cost) which discourages unnecessary supercharging. It doesn’t stop unnecessary supercharging, but I think it’s enough to blunt some of the increase in unnecessary supercharging brought about by the latest promo.
The ability of "free stuff" to shape behavior is very strong and can overcome a lot of rationality. It'd be interesting to see Tesla's internal data on this.

Reactions: commasign
That's not what I was saying. In no way do I think I or Tesla can reasonably (meaning simultaneously cost effectively and fairly) regulate such a thing.

What I was saying is that there are definitely cases where people are motived to do foolish and/or "bad" things in the name of "free". This is something that any company should consider when incentivizing a variety of behaviors by making features/facilities "free".
Exclusive Supercharging is not a "bad" thing unless it violates some kind of rule or something.

Last edited:
This is tempting. I'm a torque addict and Tesla certainly knows how to push my buttons.

I estimate that the savings from free Supercharging will total $660 for every 10,000 Supercharged miles. We do a lot of road trips, so we'll probably end up with close to 80,000 Supercharged miles in our ownership of the Model 3 (about 50% of total miles driven). For us, that savings is right around $5,000.

Showing my work: 10,000 miles divided by 3.5 miles per kWh = 2,857 kWh * $0.23 per kWh = $657

We configured a dual motor Model 3 on 6/27 and still have an edit button, but there doesn't seem to be a place to add a referral code if we want to upgrade to the performance model. I assume I'd have to call Tesla and see if we're eligible. Does anyone know if making this change would make us lose-out on the free premium internet connectivity that we got locked into by ordering before July 1st?

I called Tesla and got answers to my questions. If you follow a referral link, there is an option to upgrade a Model 3 that has already been ordered. Also, we will keep the free premium connectivity if we upgrade to the performance model. :cool: