Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited Supercharging issue - Please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really hoping someone can help me. I purchased my Model X on September 13, 2018. Can someone confirm when unlimited supercharging went away? On my car it states free supercharging, but does not give a timeframe.

Here's where this gets complicated. The day I was supposed to pick up my car, I got a call from Tesla, that an associate had crashed it. It looks 3 weeks and I got a new one. They promised me that I'd get unlimited supercharging passed on to that.

Just a few weeks ago, I got charged for charging. It made no sense to me. So I reached out to Tesla today and after many back and forth, they are claiming that there was a 3 year free supercharging promo for previous customers that I must have had. I know this is not the case. Can someone please give me some guidance here? It's really a messed up situation.

Thanks.

Really hoping someone can help me. I purchased my Model X on September 13, 2018. Can someone confirm when unlimited supercharging went away? On my car it states free supercharging, but does not give a timeframe.

Here's where this gets complicated. The day I was supposed to pick up my car, I got a call from Tesla, that an associate had crashed it. It looks 3 weeks and I got a new one. They promised me that I'd get unlimited supercharging passed on to that.

Just a few weeks ago, I got charged for charging. It made no sense to me. So I reached out to Tesla today and after many back and forth, they are claiming that there was a 3 year free supercharging promo for previous customers that I must have had. I know this is not the case. Can someone please give me some guidance here? It's really a messed up situation.

Thanks.
It's a mess because Tesla doesn't provide transparency. We just assume what its rules are but there is no documentation/policy to prove the assumption.

Really hoping someone can help me. I purchased my Model X on September 13, 2018. Can someone confirm when unlimited supercharging went away?
Well, the blanket, across the board, no-holds-barred permanent lifetime transferrable Supercharging you are probably thinking of ended in early 2017. After that, it gets much harder to track, where it changed among several things and changed frequently. There was a version of the policy that was unlimited free Supercharging only for the first owner, but it did not pass along when the car was sold. There were some which were a limited amount of Supercharging per every year. There was some kind of policy with I think one year (?) of free Supercharging?
So I reached out to Tesla today and after many back and forth, they are claiming that there was a 3 year free supercharging promo for previous customers that I must have had. I know this is not the case.
I don't remember if that was ever one of the policies they had at some point. If you could have asked this immediately when the crash happened, and your old car was still listed on your Tesla account on the website, there is a way to look up exactly what the code is for the Supercharging policy on your car. But I am guessing the old car has been removed by now, so you can't look it up.

Thanks.
Did you get your free supercharging through a referral?

I did not

I did not get it through a referral. I bought it when unlimited supercharging for life was still available for the first owner.
I am getting a new battery swapped out as we speak in my 2012 P85. My son is coming to age to drive, and to me (if I put aside the thought of a 16 yo drives a Model S…) it is the perfect car for a new young drive with its safety ratings, ability to limit top speed, and to see its live location, of course until he finds a way to turn it off… I was told the new battery will be the LFP type, and it will be a bit more range in comparison to my original battery. With the free supercharging, and the fact that it is recommended by Tesla to always charging to 100%, it was a better deal for me than trying to find a different car. This will basically transform the 11 year old Tesla into a new car overnight. To me it’s well worth it and I can easily get another 10+ years out of it.

I am getting a new battery swapped out as we speak in my 2012 P85. My son is coming to age to drive, and to me (if I put aside the thought of a 16 yo drives a Model S…) it is the perfect car for a new young drive with its safety ratings, ability to limit top speed, and to see its live location, of course until he finds a way to turn it off… I was told the new battery will be the LFP type, and it will be a bit more range in comparison to my original battery. With the free supercharging, and the fact that it is recommended by Tesla to always charging to 100%, it was a better deal for me than trying to find a different car. This will basically transform the 11 year old Tesla into a new car overnight. To me it’s well worth it and I can easily get another 10+ years out of it.
They’re making 18650 in LFP?? No way.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H

Thanks.
This is a pretty detailed article about the FUSC promotion.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I do remember when 'every Tesla had FUSC'.
It was a disaster confirming that "The tragedy of the commons" truly captures human nature - something Musk can't relate to, hence his original plan for FUSC.
Do you think it’d be worse if people could buy FUSC as a line item? Say for a one time charge of $10-15,000 and it follows your account?

Or $5,000 per vehicle with transfer to first non dealer buyer?

Do you think it’d be worse if people could buy FUSC as a line item? Say for a one time charge of $10-15,000 and it follows your account?

Or $5,000 per vehicle with transfer to first non dealer buyer?
I suppose if the purchase price for FUSC is enough to cover the building of enough new Superchargers as well as a lot of peak-rate electricity, it might make sense. The huge usage of Superchargers when they are free just overwhelmed the infrastructure. I suspect the cost would have to be comparable to the cost to install 1 or more Superchargers as well as a lot of electricity in order to compensate for the huge demand it would likely cause.
Would you be willing to pay $30K - $100K?
Remember that one clown actually started a limo company with multiple cars driving folks from LA to Las Vegas counting on milking FUSC to make his business case work. His cars were always tying up the Las Vegas and Barstow Superchargers, IIRC.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC