Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock with proximity via phones bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we know the new cars are delivered with bluetooth in the side mirrors, and from what I have seen on youtube (dærik channel) it seems its for enabling the possibility to unlock the car with your phone's bluetooth by being near the car. Is this functionality only coming for the cars with MCU2? Because I was under the impression that the key fob was running on bluetooth so it should be possible also for cars with MCU1.... or am I mistaken?

So, if in fact if the keyfob is using bluetooth, one can assume that the functionality regarding unlocking the car by proximity with your phones bluetooth can be added in the future for ALL cars?

August automatically unlocks the front door to my house with an app on my smartphone. Tesla could easily do the same. They already have an app.
The point about using BT is that it's a lot quicker using proximity and not going through the server. For example the app Remote S can open the trunk and frunk two ways. It can use BT or it can use the app. (Since you can now open them from anywhere.) Allen has stated he is going to set it up so that if the app senses that you aren't nearby, and it has to use the Tesla servers, it will ask for a confirmation before opening the trunk/frunk.

That's the sort of thing you want to use BT for, it's a lot quicker when working directly to hardware. If there's no other way, sure, the app can talk to the internet to the servers to the car. :D

Reactions: GatorGuy
August uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi whenever you''re within range. We've never had a problem when driving past our front door before parking. The door is always unlocked when we get there, and we receive a notification from the app.

August uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi whenever you''re within range. We've never had a problem when driving past our front door before parking. The door is always unlocked when we get there, and we receive a notification from the app.
Sounds interesting! And I see they even have a version with HomeKit added... (Now a Tesla that had HomeKit would be something....)