TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unlock with proximity via phones bluetooth

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mr.D, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

As we know the new cars are delivered with bluetooth in the side mirrors, and from what I have seen on youtube (dærik channel) it seems its for enabling the possibility to unlock the car with your phone's bluetooth by being near the car. Is this functionality only coming for the cars with MCU2? Because I was under the impression that the key fob was running on bluetooth so it should be possible also for cars with MCU1.... or am I mistaken?

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The keyfob does not use bluetooth. It is on 315 MHz. Bluetooth is on 2.4 GHz.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

Ok, I believe I read somewhere that Tesla started using bluetooth in their keyfobs in 2016/2017. But if thats not correct, then only cars with MCU2 will have this feature :( CRAP!

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

MrD is correct.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

So, if in fact if the keyfob is using bluetooth, one can assume that the functionality regarding unlocking the car by proximity with your phones bluetooth can be added in the future for ALL cars?

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

As I recall only the X’s use BT for this. The S’s use a different frequency (the 315 mentioned). That’s for the MCU1 cars, of course.

Someone can confirm/expand but pretty sure that’s correct.

7. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

August automatically unlocks the front door to my house with an app on my smartphone. Tesla could easily do the same. They already have an app.

8. boaterva

The point about using BT is that it's a lot quicker using proximity and not going through the server. For example the app Remote S can open the trunk and frunk two ways. It can use BT or it can use the app. (Since you can now open them from anywhere.) Allen has stated he is going to set it up so that if the app senses that you aren't nearby, and it has to use the Tesla servers, it will ask for a confirmation before opening the trunk/frunk.

That's the sort of thing you want to use BT for, it's a lot quicker when working directly to hardware. If there's no other way, sure, the app can talk to the internet to the servers to the car. :D

• Like x 1
  9. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

August uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi whenever you''re within range. We've never had a problem when driving past our front door before parking. The door is always unlocked when we get there, and we receive a notification from the app.

10. boaterva

Sounds interesting! And I see they even have a version with HomeKit added... (Now a Tesla that had HomeKit would be something....)

11. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

And HomeKit works like a champ to lock or unlock doors from anywhere with an Internet connection.

• Like x 1