Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking charge port with J1772 adapter from console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a J1772-based charger at my home and with my Model S it was sufficient to open the car door and the charge port would unlock so I could remove the cable. With the 3, pressing the “Open Charge Port” button on the center console has no effect on the lock. Instead, I have to use the Tesla app on my phone to open the charge port.

Has anyone else seen this with their car? I am on 2018.4.9 firmware. If any of you have a J1772 and could try this, I would be grateful.

Thank you!

I use J1772 daily too. You have to unlock the car doors first, then unplug J1772, and it will unlock the port. If you unplug J1772 and then unlock doors, it won't unlock the port. The only way I've figured out to recover from this case is to plug the J1772 back in, unplug it, and then it unlocks. This could actually get someone caught with the adapter stuck in the port, if for instance they were at a public station and returned the J1772 connector back to the (locked) station before realizing it!! Pretty bad bug in my opinion!

I don’t understand. For me it works as follows. I walk up to the car to unplug and the doors unlock. I press the disengage button on the J1772 and the port unlocks. I pull out both the handle and the adapter. It’s the same sequence I remember from my S.
In my S, it was not necessary to disconnect the adapter from the J1772 plug. Once I had opened the door of the car, the charge port became unlocked and I could simply remove the entire assembly - adapter and plug. This is more convenient for me so I don't need to keep track of the adapter and reattach it every night.

I do think there is a bug here though, because it does unlock in this way with the phone app, but pressing the unlock charge button on the car's console does not work.

In my S, it was not necessary to disconnect the adapter from the J1772 plug. Once I had opened the door of the car, the charge port became unlocked and I could simply remove the entire assembly - adapter and plug. This is more convenient for me so I don't need to keep track of the adapter and reattach it every night.
I wouldn't do that if it weren't done charging yet, for one thing.

FWIW, Tesla states you should insert the adapter into the car on its own first, then plug in J1772 to that (and reverse for removal). I don't think it matters a ton in the end, but just FYI. It's even printed on the adapter.

I don’t understand. For me it works as follows. I walk up to the car to unplug and the doors unlock. I press the disengage button on the J1772 and the port unlocks. I pull out both the handle and the adapter. It’s the same sequence I remember from my S.
I don't have walk-up unlock turned on since it's so irritating. So I have to add the step of opening a door first. Sometimes I forget and unplug first, and realize my mistake... then I have to plug it back in, unlock the door, and unplug it again. At least on the S I could hit the unlock charging port button and that would work ;-).