Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking Doors While in Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my Model Y for a couple weeks and I can't seem to figure out how (if possible) to unlock all car doors when in drive. I drop and pick up my daughter to and from school each day and trying to figure out how to unlock the doors for her to get in once I pull up has been an issue. The only way I seem to be able to do it is putting the car in park and hitting the unlock button on the screen twice (hitting once only opens the drivers door). Is there a better solution for this or am I stuck with that method?

You don't need to put the car in Park... You can do it while in drive... I do it all the time when I drop off and pick up my kids. I think you just have to have your foot physically on the brake pedal to do that, I can't remember as I don't pay attention.

Just for clarity sake, I disabled auto unlock on Park, so it stays locked... I just press unlock once, and it unlocks all doors, even when in Drive.

Upvote 0
Maybe you just have to be at a complete stop. I just remember the lock icon being greyed out, and then being un-greyed out when I stopped or something like that. I tend to have my foot on the brake when the door is being opened, as a just in case, otherwise I one pedal drive.

Upvote 0
lol OP, when i started reading your post I was thinking you would just have your kid jump out of the car before coming to a complete stop to save time. :)

On another note, does anybody know how I can unlock any of the doors besides the driver side? Sometimes my wife will pick up the kids and she cant figure out how to just unlock any of the rear doors first without having to go to the driver side door and first unlocking that.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
lol OP, when i started reading your post I was thinking you would just have your kid jump out of the car before coming to a complete stop to save time. :)

On another note, does anybody know how I can unlock any of the doors besides the driver side? Sometimes my wife will pick up the kids and she cant figure out how to just unlock any of the rear doors first without having to go to the driver side door and first unlocking that.

The settings for door unlock are "drivers door only" or "all doors" on unlock. Its a bit counter intuitive, but look at the setting I mentioned in post # 3 in this thread. If that is ON, that means "only unlock the drivers door on door unlock". So, if you want all doors to unlock, you need to turn that setting OFF actually. It also may be per profile, but I have not checked that.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and WyoDude
Upvote 1
Are you talking about from the exterior, or while sitting inside? I'm not sure I understand why you would have to first fo to the driver side door first, unless you are talking about tapping the b-pillar or something.

From interior, I just tap unlock. Or if I'm watching a video and I'm too lazy to tap the screen, I'll just open the driver door slightly and close it again. That will unlock all doors.

From exterior, I just pull the door handle. Unless you are inside and you locked the car from the center display, and your wife went to go fetch the kids. In that case, locking the door that way disables proximity unlock, and will force you to use the app or tap the b-pillar to unlock the doors.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
The settings for door unlock are "drivers door only" or "all doors" on unlock. Its a bit counter intuitive, but look at the setting I mentioned in post # 3 in this thread. If that is ON, that means "only unlock the drivers door on door unlock". So, if you want all doors to unlock, you need to turn that setting OFF actually. It also may be per profile, but I have not checked that.
thanks, thats exactly what I mean. When my wife picks up the kids, she physically goes to get them and when she comes out to the locked car, she said she cannot unlock only the rear door first, she must go to the driver side, unlock that, and then unlock all doors from inside the car.

Upvote 0
thanks, thats exactly what I mean. When my wife picks up the kids, she physically goes to get them and when she comes out to the locked car, she said she cannot unlock only the rear door first, she must go to the driver side, unlock that, and then unlock all doors from inside the car.

I can confirm that I have the setting I mentioned above OFF, and I can open the rear door as the first door I open to the vehicle. My wife and I are empty nesters (so no kids at home) but I used to open the back door first every time I got in the car, because our cars (model 3 and Y) stay plugged in at home.

For quite some time, I opened the rear door first to wake up the car, then pushed the button on the wall connector handle to disconnect it. This was before I found out that I could HOLD the button on the wall connector for 5-6 seconds to both wake up the car and disconnect the wand from the charge port.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, this worked! Now my wife asked me if there’s a way that only the door she touches unlocks, in case someone tries to get in through the driver side after she puts our kid in the back. Is this possible?
I don't think that's possible with BT proximity unlock. Disclaimer: I worked on wireless wifi/bt proximity in a previous life. BT proximity isn't fine grained enough to be able to know which door you are in front of, particularly because it needs to be tuned to take into account wireless attenuation thru your body, as well as different antenna/bt/etc SoC that propagate slightly differently, etc.

So as long as your phone is nearby, you can open any door with proximity unlock, not just the door you are standing in front of. This exact use case was one we researched quite a bit, and trying to get it fine grained enough to reliably place you within a specific door while simultaneously not draining your phone battery was problematic.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0

Ha, no. I should have clarified - it's a car rider line drop off - I am not exiting the vehicle. With my previous vehicle, I wouldn't have to park- simply break (complete stop) and hit the unlock button the doors to allow the Car rider attendants to open the doors to let the girls out. With the tesla, It just seems to be several more unnecessary steps (come to complete stop, put it in park, hit the park button one additional time - then put in drive again once the girls have exited). It's certainly doable, I was just hoping there was another option. I will try seeing about disabling some of the setting mentioned above.

Upvote 0
You don't need to put the car in Park... You can do it while in drive... I do it all the time when I drop off and pick up my kids. I think you just have to have your foot physically on the brake pedal to do that, I can't remember as I don't pay attention.

Just for clarity sake, I disabled auto unlock on Park, so it stays locked... I just press unlock once, and it unlocks all doors, even when in Drive.
I am going to try disabling auto unlock on park and see if that makes a difference. I apologize for my ignorance (still learning the car), but when you say you press unlock once do you mean the unlock icon from the app? I don't see option on the screen to unlock the doors unless I am in park. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
apologize for my ignorance (still learning the car), but when you say you press unlock once do you mean the unlock icon from the app? I don't see option on the screen to unlock the doors unless I am in park. Thanks in advance!
No, from the the center screen. When you are in drive, the lock icon is on the menu bar at the top of the screen to the left of the clock, and to the right of the battery icon.

Upvote 0