Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking driver door ONLY not all doors when entering car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch. I just tested and can confirm your results. That's certainly not what I'd expect based on what's written in the manual. A caveat: I'm alone at the moment and so I tested it by leaving a phone configured as a key in the car, using another phone (out of phone-as-key range) to lock the car remotely, and then opening the door. This could conceivably result in different behavior than would locking the car's doors via the screen. Also, a car that's self-locked by driving might behave differently -- has anybody tested in this way? This would be relevant for safety when stopped at a traffic light or whatnot.

I've reported the issue to Tesla at Tesla SSO – Login and asked that they fix it ASAP. If you're concerned by this, I suggest you do the same.
I've tested this. If the car is locked because of being driven, it does NOT unlock with phone key present. You have unlock manually, either with the padlock icon or by opening a door from the inside.

• Informative
Reactions: srs5694
So I did some more testing. If the driver stays in the car and uses the screen to lock it is locked from outside. When I tried before I got out and had a passenger stay in the car (my normal use case). I wasn't able to test having a passenger get out to see what that does.

When the car locks while driving it is locked from outside however as soon as I put it in park it is unlocked. Not sure if that is because I have a setting selected or if that is the only option.

I've tested this. If the car is locked because of being driven, it does NOT unlock with phone key present. You have unlock manually, either with the padlock icon or by opening a door from the inside.

Thanks for the additional testing. Do you happen to know if simply putting the car in drive will do this? That would be important to know in a "being pursued on foot on the way to your car" sort of scenario.

Several females [...] won't buy a car that doesn't allow only the drivers door being unlocked.

I'm not saying everyone can't have their own reason for buying or not buying a vehicle and what constitutes a "deal breaker" But I need to ask, in all your years/miles of driving, have you ever gotten into your car and had someone attempt to get in on the passenger side before you drove off?

I just have this feeling that it's one of those things we think is important but in practicality has no relevance. Personally, I always hated having to hit my remote twice to unlock all doors, but considered it a minor inconvenience. And yes, it would be super simple to allow a setting per ''key" to only open driver or open all.

How often are women attacked/abducted in parking lots by people entering from the passenger side after they get into the vehicle.

I gotta say, when I pick up new passengers, they can *never* get in on the first try. So any potential abductor would need to be an experiences Tesla door opener... Did I make you smile?

I'm confused at some of the "testing" results above and believe them to be wrong.

I often drive to pick up my girlfriend at her place. I pull in front of her condo and "park" the car. When she comes, she invariably can NOT get into the car. The door is locked. This is the only reason I know how to manually unlock the doors.

I use my phone as key and honestly don't know what settings I am using otherwise. But obviously my car, putting it in park on the side of the road, and me, the driver, staying in the drivers seat, the passenger door remains locked.

YMMV of course, but that's how it works for me. Being abducted at a stop light is not going to happen in my car.

I'm not saying everyone can't have their own reason for buying or not buying a vehicle and what constitutes a "deal breaker" But I need to ask, in all your years/miles of driving, have you ever gotten into your car and had someone attempt to get in on the passenger side before you drove off?

Personally, I always hated having to hit my remote twice to unlock all doors, but considered it a minor inconvenience.
My proximity-entry and keyless-entry cars have always had the option to unlock only 1, or all doors, when triggered. So there is no false tradeoff.

In 2 decades of driving I've also never had airbags deploy, but it's still an important feature in a car that I ride or drive

I'm confused at some of the "testing" results above and believe them to be wrong.

I often drive to pick up my girlfriend at her place. I pull in front of her condo and "park" the car. When she comes, she invariably can NOT get into the car. The door is locked. This is the only reason I know how to manually unlock the doors.

If we have unlock at park in the setting, then when you press the right stalk button to park the car then all doors will be unlocked and can be opened from the outside.

But if you are parked by pressing the brake button and put the card on the "hold" mode then the car remains locked and does not open from the outside. The options are to put the car on Park mode by pressing the button on the right stalk or push the lock icon on the display to unlock it.

Reactions: PittCaleb
My Toyota and Honda had the option of putting your hand between the handle and door to unlock the door. There was a setting in the car where you can have only the driver side unlock with this maneuver or all doors to open. If it was only driver side then placing you hand in the other doors like passenger or rear doors will not unlock the doors. If it was all doors in the setting, placing hand in any door handle will unlock all doors. I found this an useful feature.

I just want to add... We're having a discussion on why this isn't a part of the car...

If this were any other car, it wouldn't be and won't ever be. But being a Tesla, given a high enough priority, this 'feature' can be added very easily to every car in the fleet.

Those who posted here that they wouldn't buy the Tesla because of it might be able to in the future. If this were a Ford, or BMW, and this were your case, there would be no sense in posting and having a threadcount such as we do as there's nothing that could be done about it.

Reactions: Kamban

More importantly, to whom has this ever happened? I want to say no-one, but the world is a big enough place. I can find 2 results, one failed. It seems to be a situation where the car is being driven, not on approach to a parked car.

1 arrested in Dayton police chase, carjacking

Calvin Harris (no, not that one) attempts to carjack woman stopped at red light in N. Harris County

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt

I had a feeling that you were correct, and I went out in the rain and the dark and tested it myself.

I cleared the rain off the car and the window, got in the car, opened the window, locked from the touch screen and reached out the window and pulled the handle. Did NOT open.

Last edited: