Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking/Locking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

Ok, bit of advice please

Literally minutes ago, the wife just messaged me and said that she’s walked out to the car this morning, put the kids in, turned around to walk back to the front door (about 6ft away) and the car has locked itself, with kids in it, who’ve started flapping wanting to know why the car has locked itself.

She then said that when she walked up to the car again with iPhone in hand, the screen inside apparently told her to “tap the key card” not sure what’s going on with that. Anyway, she went into the app, pressed unlock and voila, the car unlocked itself.

I’m assuming obviously that the car doesn’t recognise the fact that there’s people in it and only sees that doors were opened and closed and then the keyless entry phone has gone out of range and hence locks itself. Is this standard? Is there anything I need to do so that the car will remain unlocked or is this something we have to live with and treat as added layer of security?

If you use your phone as key *and* have walk away lock enabled, this is known behavior AFAIK. The condition to lock is the presence of that phone. If it used the seat sensors then heavy cargo in those seats could prevent the car from locking when exiting resulting in a thief's dream (the car or the cargo). Really the only way to lock intelligently would be to enable the internal camera which they are only now getting around to. Perhaps in the future, if the angle is wide enough to get the driver and front passenger, it will use the cameras, seat sensors, and AI to sense internal occupants. It's only a software upgrade and privacy disclaimer away....

If this will be common, you have a few options. You can throw your cell phone in the car, or you can just leave a door slightly ajar. Or you can turn off lock-way lock but will need to lock the car manually everytime you leave (either with the app or key card). Finally, if this looks like it will hinder your daily habits, there is a traditional key fob available and you can go back to what we've been doing for generations.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I have had a keyless entry car for a while now (two previous Mazdas), so I'm used to either leaving a door slightly open, or leaving the key in the car, or not leaving the kids alone in the car. The choice being based on where we are and what we're doing.

Not sure why your wife had to use the key card though.

Y
I have had a keyless entry car for a while now (two previous Mazdas), so I'm used to either leaving a door slightly open, or leaving the key in the car, or not leaving the kids alone in the car. The choice being based on where we are and what we're doing.

Not sure why your wife had to use the key card though.
She didn’t in the end, apparently the message flashed up on the screen in the car?

My terror of leaving the phone in the car is if something screws up and it still locks I'm now properly up the river without a paddle. I -mostly- have a key card with me, but not always...

Mostly leave a door ajar, assuming it isn't raining.

You can tick a box to disable walk away door lock whilst at home only. This sounds like it would've helped.
I don't really want it disabled tho - that will just end up with an open car all the time. What it needs is delayed at home. Mostly for 5 mins, but perhaps customisable up to 30.

Other work around in less adhock moments is to use some other method to open the car (keycard or the app from inside) then leave your phone inside. This has helped when we were filling the car with holiday stuff sometimes.