Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking rear doors in an emergency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in 2019 Elon tweeted this in response to a question about opening the rear doors in the M3 after an accident:

"All doors unlock automatically when the Tesla comes to a stop after an accident. There is both primary & backup power to doors, brakes, steering & airbags".

Do we know if this applies to the Model Y? I know the rear doors have a manual emergency door releases in the door pocket under the rubber mat and behind a small access door, but do the doors automatically "unlock" right after an accident?

I wonder what the car will register as an "accident"? Being caught in floodwaters - probably not. Even if there is backup power to the doors, what if the doors then malfunction? My guess, any small kids in the back seat won't make it, as explained in the video below.

Reactions: empiredown
There are pull tabs to manually release the door under the small, rubber pad in the door handle pocket. I placed key rings on these pull tabs and brief anyone who hasn't been in the backseat before about them. So, that is cool about the auto-unlock, but the manual always works. It's similar to the pull lever on the front doors, but harder to find if you don't know they are there...

SS

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
There are pull tabs to manually release the door under the small, rubber pad in the door handle pocket. I placed key rings on these pull tabs and brief anyone who hasn't been in the backseat before about them. So, that is cool about the auto-unlock, but the manual always works. It's similar to the pull lever on the front doors, but harder to find if you don't know they are there...

SS

I really like the keyrings idea. I'm going to do that. One question: Do the keyrings tuck in nicely so that they don't snag on women's high heels or other items being scooted across the floor?

SS

any chance you can post a photo, I'm intrigued by this. 22 years in the USAF and REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT lanyards were the rule of the day.....

I really like the keyrings idea. I'm going to do that. One question: Do the keyrings tuck in nicely so that they don't snag on women's high heels or other items being scooted across the floor?

It's in the pocket on the door/behind the door handle... So, unless you are doing some sort of weird, acrobatic, backseat action there should be no snagging... :rolleyes: I put the rubber cover back on loosely, as it is a sorta tight fit otherwise. Not one I would want to try in an emergency. Since they are in the pocket, they just lie there and will not fall out. They might actually just fall out in a rollover, which actually would be beneficial.

SS

Reactions: Rockster
It's in the pocket on the door/behind the door handle... So, unless you are doing some sort of weird, acrobatic, backseat action there should be no snagging... :rolleyes: I put the rubber cover back on loosely, as it is a sorta tight fit otherwise. Not one I would want to try in an emergency. Since they are in the pocket, they just lie there and will not fall out. They might actually just fall out in a rollover, which actually would be beneficial.

SS
If you are talking about a quick & easily accessible modification of rear passengers ability to open their doors in
a no battery situation, might you have details on how to make this mod, (as opposed to removing the lower interior door panel
and pulling on a cable), please share your thoughts & procedures

If you are talking about a quick & easily accessible modification of rear passengers ability to open their doors in
a no battery situation, might you have details on how to make this mod, (as opposed to removing the lower interior door panel
Not sure if the original poster still lurks, but here is an example of one way to execute:

Not sure if the original poster still lurks, but here is an example of one way to execute:
This. I didn't use the "Remove Before Flight" key fobs... But a couple cheap key rings threaded through and left under the rubber matts works a charm. Thanks!

SS

Totally easy to do and the vid lays it out nicely. Good luck!

SS