Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking the Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we need one of the owners to lend out the car for a real detailed review, because there are tons of things we won't know until we get an 'Owner's Day in the Life' sort of analysis. My understanding is that the app running on a smartphone with low energy BT tells the car to wake up for you when you get close (like with the fob for an S or X). But that's just what we've gathered from snippets of information, since no car has been 'allowed out to play with us'. :D

My iPhone links for phone calls without unlocking it. Presumably, entry will simply require proximity to the car just as with smart phone audio, which, to my annoyance, takes over phone calls within 10 feet of the car.

This is why I asked if anyone had a video or knew for sure. People have been presuming very different things on how this might work. I wanted to avoid more speculation.

Found an article I think confirms the speculation above just in case anyone else is interested.

We get our first drive in Tesla's electric Model 3

From the article:
Once your smartphone is connected to the car, your Model 3 will be alerted to your arrival or departure, unlocking or locking the car accordingly. If your phone isn't on you, a custom credit card touched to the car's center roof pillar does the honors.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: boaterva and Runt8