Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking with other doors or trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone doesn't unlock specific doors, it unlocks all doors. What I suspect is happening is that it is unable to hear from the other positions you mention.
Things like the position of the phone on your body can make a big difference. Also, how quickly you are moving toward the car.
I know, with my phone in back pocket, that I sometimes have to turn around for a few seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: Sagedaddy
I have noticed a similar change in my model 3, maybe for the past week or so. Whereas I used to be able to unlock any door or the trunk by approaching with the phone in my pocket, now this only works for the driver side front door. If I take the phone out of my pocket and turn on its screen, I can unlock any door or even the trunk on approach.

Over the same time period, I have also noticed that sometimes I enter the car with my phone in my pocket and am unable to shift from “park” into “drive”. At first I thought there was some bug in the software. But some of these times the car display would also ask me to touch my keycard to the center rest. I found that if I unlocked my phone, the car would respond to the shifter.

As with the unlocking of doors and trunk on approach, the shifting into “drive” used to proceed with my phone in my pocket, undisturbed. I am not sure what caused the change in recognition / response.

• Informative
Reactions: Sagedaddy