Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlucky parking lot encounter captured on dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We absolutely do this religiously.

It backfired on us the last time we were at Costco, however. Got a nice wide spot, under some heavy shade tree. Upon returning, the just-washed car was covered in grackle poop.

That one I can laugh off, unlike you who have posted photos above. I am so sorry for all of you.
So I would think some retaining with the Tesla is: forget range anxiety and park far from the entrance to stores.

Does anyone try to park away from other cars? Not sure if it does any good?

I most definitely do this, to the point that my wife fears it makes the car stand out. My feeling is the car stands out anyway, and I'm not concerned with someone purposely vandalizing it. Someone intent on doing that could do that with it parked any where. My concern is someone parking next to it and dinging it with a shopping cart or their car door or, as in some of the pictures, their car. So I will keep parking in, as she puts it, Siberia.

In fact we often decide whether to take the Tesla or an ICE based on the known (or expected) parking situation. Unless I can be reasonably certain that we can park far away from other cars, we'll take an ICE instead of the Tesla. I realize some will say I shouldn't worry about it...it's only a car, etc., etc. I'm generally talking about local trips of a few miles, where we're pretty indifferent between taking the Tesla or an ICE. For now I just want to be as careful as I can be.

I most definitely do this, to the point that my wife fears it makes the car stand out. My feeling is the car stands out anyway, and I'm not concerned with someone purposely vandalizing it. Someone intent on doing that could do that with it parked any where. My concern is someone parking next to it and dinging it with a shopping cart or their car door or, as in some of the pictures, their car. So I will keep parking in, as she puts it, Siberia.

Same exact scenario and reasoning here.

Costco: I park far away.
Packed parking lot: I take any space I can get
Regular parking lot: I park 4-5 spaces after the last car, assuming it's a short walk

I don't want to get door dinged, or my kids to swing open the door (like they love to do) and door ding someone else.

I take my Smart ED on most local shopping trips, and always get the closest spot to the entrance. The car is so narrow, you have to be aiming at it to hit it. (knock on wood) :redface:

Last night, it was a bit cold, so I went with plan "B" and preheated the Tesla remotely before I went out to get the Christmas "bird" (15lb'r). Walked 2 minutes to my spot, even though it was 8PM on a Sunday...avoiding getting dinged like many others here... :rolleyes:

Yikes! That one is touch. They will have to cut and replace that corner, right? Isn't this the spot JMG had his car get damaged?

I have no idea what it will take to fix, at mid-life, this my first automobile claim, let alone a Tesla claim. I'll try to search for JMG's thread if it exist. From what I hear it is going to cost a pretty penny and it will take quite a while before any needed parts to show up.

I religiously park far away in spots to avoid dings and scratches. This time I had to drop off a overnight package to UPS during a busy time at the strip mall during the Christmas rush and I took my chances on the one and only spot I could find. #fail

Sorry you had to go through this but that's a very good price. In fact it quite amazes me.

I too am amazed.

I had a minor dent in the rear gate. They replaced the entire back end of the car. They said that even though it is not visible, some beam inside the trunk was bent and Tesla would not let them just bend it back.

I think they were learning at my expense. The cost was 22k.

I also think that Tesla insisting on having certified shops repair the car is creating a situation where, the backlog is huge and the costs are very high.

This is my trunk. See the cutoff beam showing the figure 8. I forgot what they call it. The repair took 2 months.

CCC-DELLTAB2 - WIN_20150217_171642.JPG

I could have gone without doing the repair , the damage was not clearly visible.

I thought i was protecting the resale value, a year later this happens. The car has 60k on it. My previous car is 15 years old (BMW 5) still have it, never even had a flat tire.

The guy was racing another car, he crosses double yellow and hits my wife head-on. Everyone, including him were ok. Car totaled. I feel that the car protected my wife and son very well. I am glad they were in a Tesla when it happened. First major car incident for our family.

Capture.PNG

Artsci: look closely at the fire truck, you will see this is MD. 20 miles from you.

Last edited:
A. No one was amazed that the girls father also owned a MS? I can assure you that was part of her immediate and deep remorse, lol.

B. VINDICATED! I too park "in siberia" and take the Infiniti to places with more.... "janky" parking situations. I tell my wife that whenever she gets lazy and parts up close when she takes the MS out she is basically negating all the effort I put in on the daily

C. I'm glad, but surprised that this only cost the OP $2k.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Sorry you had to go through this but that's a very good price. In fact it quite amazes me.

I have yet to post pics. It's a couple of paint scuffs on the bumper and on the black plastic below the bumper. Some scratches on the turbine that comprises $300 of the estimate.

I'm sure part of the remorse of the girl stems from her father owning a model S.