Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unnecessary acceleration ticket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
think you could add in the part about how fast he had to go to catch up if a Dodge Charger was going full throttle for 1/4 mile?
At my level of physics competency, one could google the max power (MP) and mass (M) of the cop car and solve
MP*T*2 = M*V*V

But honestly, it would probably be a better show for the judge to just grab a video off youtube showing the speed of that model car at the end of a 1/4 mile drag strip run.

Perhaps start with this search

He was in an SUV. I am assuming a Ford explore but not sure. Will have to look at the dash cam.
Hire a traffic lawyer. It's for a minor moving violation so it will not be expensive. Don't try to recreate the scene. It's useless as it's easily thrown out.

Edit: adding in, I've hired them before and so have many of my friends. It's always worth it as they'll most likely get it dropped all together. It doesn't cost thousands either. Especially for something like that.

Hire a traffic lawyer. It's for a minor moving violation so it will not be expensive. Don't try to recreate the scene. It's useless as it's easily thrown out.

Edit: adding in, I've hired them before and so have many of my friends. It's always worth it as they'll most likely get it dropped all together. It doesn't cost thousands either. Especially for something like that.

i wish I had for my stop sign ticket, but for $200 I thought DIY (and lost :( )

Back to OP, maybe it's time to switch to chill mode for a little bit too.

Reactions: I<3URANUS
I got a similar ticket in Pittsburgh years ago, pre Tesla. I politely asked the cop why?
He said that jumping out like that "indicated a lack of concern, that I hadn't been
cautious, looking out for opposing traffic, yellow light jumpers, etc
." OK. A warning might have been more appropriate, but I was out of state and headed for the airport. So
I signed the receipt and accepted the Notice of Violation.

I duly sent a check for the ticket. It never cleared. A few months after, I went to the
court clerk and inquired. I had registered mail delivery receipt, etc. They could not find
a record of the ticket, and no one knew who the recipient was who signed for the
check. Have a nice day! They seemed totally unconcerned.

So I kept all the paperwork with me for years as I was in and out of PGH and PA. Even tho I got stopped again for a well deserved speeding violation, I apparently wasn't a
fugitive in their eyes.

One of life's little oddities. But I confess I have smoked an irritating Porsche driver a
time or two.

Cops are considered 'witnesses' to your alleged infraction. They are not prosecutors or attorneys. You can cross-examine them like any other witness in a court of law, just as they will be required to answer the TBD if you file that first (or defendant wins by default). In other words, don't be intimated.

They are hostile in the sense that their claims about your lack of safety may be more narrative than fact because the city or county generates revenue through traffic citations, especially where the citation seems unreasonable or is based on invalid grounds, such as an illegally low speed limit or where the infraction leaves room for interpretation (basic speed law).

Cops, to you the defendant, are hostile witnesses, especially of they show up up to make a 'bad' ticket stick. This is why you don't reveal your strategy or intent to fight your ticket to the witness whilst stopped. You want them to forget while you remember every detail. Always save your case or statement of facts for your TBD or trial date.

I tried that "forget details" defense for a year old stop sign ticket (I got 10 postponements but couldn't push it anymore). Judge asked the cop he said he takes notes. Pay up :(

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and I<3URANUS
This sounds like a complete BS ticket to me. Maybe the officer was bored or he just didn't like the fact that your car can accelerate rapidly. In my state at least there is no law that says you can't reach the speed limit quickly as long as you aren't being reckless or making noise, throwing gravel, etc... I've hammered my Tesla and it simply won't spin the tires. As far as I know there is no way to shut off the traction control unless you have a Performance with track mode turned on. You should go to court and represent yourself. There is a chance the officer won't show up. The officer will have to lie through his teeth if he says your tires spun or you made noise (in a Tesla??)

I went back and checked the time stamps and match with google maps for 1/4 mile (that the sheriff said I was hard accelerating for) and it took me 23 seconds to go 1/4 mile. That is slower that a geo metro and smartcar.

Keep up the good work and fight it out. Some people need to be taught a lesson as this officer will keep on doing the same to others!

Tesla acceleration is my dopamine hit during these difficult times. I wonder if I can get a doctor’s note saying it’s medically necessary for me to accelerate quickly (not necessarily speed, though that helps the dopamine, too)...
Tell the doctor that your blood must pool along your back, not in your legs. Crazy acceleration achieves that.

Pay the small fine and move on. You will spend way more money trying to fight this. I'm surprised they didn't just throw "reckless driving" or "basic rules of the road" on there too.
Also the points and the increased insurance premium for several years? I think at worst, the financial calculus would be a break even but at least he would get justice and not get points on his license.