Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpleasant Experience nearly running out of charge on M6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have your own "I nearly ran out of charge" story to share?

But then you could have stopped at any of the service stations on the M6 and used the Ecotriticy chargers. All you need is the app and a debit card. OK only 50kW but all you needed was 20 miles extra to Tebay!

But my story - coming back from Glasgow in the 24kWh Leaf. Started to complain of low battery 5 miles from home. Went to Turtle mode 200m from home. Stopped 30m short of my garage. Had to get an extension cable out!

(not in UK, in US) Model 3 Performance with 20" wheels is very different from AWD in terms of range even though the advertised range is close (it was exactly the same when I bought my M3P). It is sad that Tesla does not advertise the truth for M3P.
Under ideal conditions I count 20% less range than shown in miles, but mostly 25-30% less. This is based on my my actual watts per mile compared to rated. In winter I count 40% less. The longest trip I did in winter was 170-180 miles. If I am travelling in remote areas in cold conditions (UK might not have this problem) I never plan to cover more than 130-140 miles between charges.
I am considering getting 18" wheels for winter driving to extend the range once my winter tires wear out.

On approach to Gretna Services (last charge possible before Tebay) the car was giving the red warning not enough charge to reach destination without stopping at Gretna. At this point its 48 miles real world to Tebay and the car showing 63 miles. This was where I made my grave error. Extensive experience with my Model S told me there was no way I would ever not make it based on 48 miles and the car showing 63 miles. 15 'spare' miles for a 48 miler. It was unthinkable this could or would ever be a problem in the Model S. I concluded the M3P was being unduly cautious and it wouldn't be a problem. Bad mistake.

With 24 miles to go, the car showed 31 miles left. Still 7 to spare, ease off the speed, it will be ok.
By 12 miles to go the car showed 12 miles left. Really getting worried.
By 9 miles to go the car was showing 7 miles left. This isn't going to end well.
By 5 miles to go the car was showing 0 miles left.
Beside the percentage and remaining distance gauge,

you have also the energy consumption graphs

- giving a fine granular usage showing in orange the consumption and green the energy recovery for the past 30 miles

- and also the slop of the real-time consumption usage compared to the predicted consumption for the whole trip.​

Why don't you mentioned any of those simple and easy to read graphs providing a good way to monitor and predict your consumption usage.
Especially since many parameters such as wind, temperature, road inclination, number of passengers, cargo load... are difficult to evaluate.

The way you drove remind me riding a motorcycle using the reserve switch on the gas tank to decide when to stop to a gas station.

Note: Your title "Unpleasant Experience nearly running out of charge on M6" was making believing that you have been the subject of been stranded by the lack of super chargers in your area or been put in this situation by erroneous route planners predictions.

I would myself used a title such as "A good learning and profitable experience..." as what you described will certainly be the case for your future trips.

At least you were not in the following "excursion" that I planned last winter:

20200318_181030-jpg.557963

Last edited:
As I was reading the OP, a recent incident came to mind that makes me think software has changed some over the years, concerning power use at low SOC. I drove a 2013 S85 until getting my early 2017 S100D and on road trips I've run it down to single digit % many times, sometimes arriving at SC with single digits of miles left. Recently I drove from SF to Hood River OR, and the issue is not so much the arrival SOC, but what happened after. I rolled into town to a dinner that was 11 miles from my RV campsite where I'd charge overnight. Had about 10% left, 31 miles. Warm evening, about 60 degrees F, no alarm, no sentry, no overheat protection, no waking car up to check it. A few hours later my husband called from home saying car was down to 11 miles and dropping fast. (Oh, maybe he was waking it up checking.) I wound up plugging it into the 110 at the rental house and sleeping over. I've parked at a low SOC before but never seen that kind of rapid discharge. We've slept in the car with AC running and only lost 10 miles overnight before. 31 is not THAT low an SOC compared to what I've done before but it lost 20 miles in 2 or 3 hours in a mild climate. So now I'm more careful about low numbers. :( Maybe OP's 3 had a bit of this at play too? Maybe more energy goes to battery protection at low SOC than it used to?

The reason the performance version has less efficiency is mainly the summer tires. The heavy wheels make some difference too.
I run 46 psi in my tires which also helps.

When I run winter tires it does not get better. Michelin PA4 - performance winter tires - are closer to all seasons than to proper winters. They don't give me better range. And I have tried 45 PSI and it does not help my M3P in any significant way to get closer to AWD range either. 20" wheels must play a big role.

And the other part of the problem is that the inflated range in miles Performance Model 3 shows is too far away, compared to AWD, from the real life range. I have gotten used to this but for a long time I felt fooled by Tesla.

Earlier this year, I did a big nonstop road trip back home (Downunder ), in rather inclement weather, and my experience was as follows.
Before departing our overnight stop in my M3P- and based on departing at 90% which is what I managed to get to on a 3pin plug, I looked at ABRP in addition to the car’s prediction.

1. The car said pre- departure that I’d get home with 15%, ie: consuming some 75% of my battery. There were effectively no chargers available en-route. (They’re still few and far between here on many of our roads.) The car knew nothing about enroute temp (not really a factor) , weather (intermittent heavy rain), and wind (quite strong headwind). It does however know about elevation changes. I thought to myself that prediction was likely very optimistic given the weather conditions, so drove to a known nearby destination charger to top up further to about 99%.
2. Whilst charging further at 11kW at the destination charger, I used ABRP and I entered appropriate values for rain and headwind, plus load (2 adults plus another 80kgs). ABRP said I likely couldn’t make it at all with any significant buffer departing at the original 90%, but it should make it at 99% and arrive with 10% (ie: using 89% of my battery) without limiting my highway speed. (I always had reduced speed as a buffer to use if necessary.)

SO with regular checks on the range graph, we set off with the battery at 99%. Over the first 80- 100 kilometres, the car’s predictions were as I expected, initially VERY optimistic but falling fast. It was quite strong headwind and we had plenty of rain. The original expected arrival SOC of 26% quite rapidly dropped to about 12%, and then stayed there, pretty close to the ABRP predictions. It obviously took the weather conditions into account during the trip and for the latter 2/3 or so of the trip, the car’s range graph was right on the money. I even managed a little better towards the end as we were in some traffic, rain mostly stopped and driving a little slower, and pulled into our garage with a comfortable 15%, a nice to have margin. Had I departed on the original charge of 90%, I would have been very uncomfortable indeed though would have actually made it due to improving conditions. (I get quite uncomfortable once the prediction is any lower than 10%.)

In summary....
Original car estimate 75% of my battery required..
ABRP estimate with weather conditions etc entered, 89% required.
Actual consumption with a slight weather improvement near the trip end and slightly lower speed for the last 50km or so, 84% consumed.

I do not use battery range in miles/kilometres normally- there are too many factors which can affect it. I don’t like nasty surprises, must be the pilot in me

Cheers from Oz.

The in car system doesn't know about weather etc, but it does know about your driving over the last X miles. So it can see your higher required w/m usage and adjust the prediction as needed. It doesn't know -why- you are using more electrons, bit it knows you are using them. Could be head wind, rain or heavy right foot.

You take AWD (or P-) - it matches predicted range in reasonable situations, take P+ - it doesn't, by 20-30%. Yes, there are reasons, but they don't improve experience of new owners. The rather not cheap car turns out to not be as usable as many counted it to be. I still have some frustration with range limitations after more than a year and a half.

You take AWD (or P-) - it matches predicted range in reasonable situations, take P+ - it doesn't, by 20-30%. Yes, there are reasons, but they don't improve experience of new owners. The rather not cheap car turns out to not be as usable as many counted it to be. I still have some frustration with range limitations after more than a year and a half.
And with the giant calipers you can't just swap to the aero wheels can you? I don't the the Y's aero 19's fit us either? Is love some 19's but want to stick to the range enhancing aero style as most of my miles are out of the city.

Thinking about the ev01, but not sure if you can get them.in the UK yet, or of they will go on your P+

• Informative
Reactions: pow216 and Watts_Up
Glad someone mentioned the energy consumption graphs. I had forgotten about them. Just had a mild shock today. At the last charger station before my destination I brought charge up to 200mi., since the distance was 60mi. and I climb 7000 ft. The climb ate up 120 mi of range. Fine - a little more than I was expecting, but plenty of margin. Imagine my shock when I turned on the car this morning and found that in spite of shutting everything off, after 3 days my charge was down to 50 mi. instead of the 80 I had left it with !! Fortunately, after the first five miles of unpaved road, I still showed a range of 49, and still had 25 miles range when I got back to the charging station. What a huge difference elevation makes!

driving "carefully" does not extend range.
hmmm interesting. I have completely the opposite experience and from that have found that driving carefully definitely improves things, but only if you do it consistently for the entire journey. A few nippy roundabouts or burning rubber at traffic lights (hard to resist, I know) and you can really eat into that.

I have an SR and no matter where we head, we always seem to arrive with a higher % than predicted. It's become something of a challenge for us to see how much higher we can arrive than the car predicts. We use the graph to monitor our pace and quite happily sit at 60 on motorways as we're rarely in a hurry to get anywhere. I'm always looking out for a particularly tall lorry to cruise behind as that improves things no end.

I really do not understand why people use miles rather than %ages? I have a M3P-. I selected it as I wanted as much range as possible and I hate 20" wheels which make no sense on an EV both for range and performance.
I never plan to go below 20% and always check any route using ABRP which is in a different league to Tesla's predictions. In general terms on fast motorway driving using AP I can always complete 200 miles before recharging. However I often use ABRP suggestions which tend to be multiple stops with short time charges. This is often the fastest way and certainly safer with multiple breaks.
I always check my performance against predictions using the on board graph.