TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unplug charging cable while car in sleepmode

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by paulvinh, Sep 18, 2018.

1. halfricanguy

halfricanguy Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM

AFAIK there has been no update to resolve this. But from what I can tell, if you pre-heat/cool the car via the app beforehand, it will be awake for you to disconnect the charge handle. I have to do some more testing though.

• Helpful x 1
  2. ivan801

ivan801 Member

I took the car into my local service center for this issue. They run a bunch of tests, returned the car to me suggesting that I just need to wait for most recent software update. That was a little while ago. Most recent software update did not fix the issue. I do not want to have to open a door in order for me to remove the charge cable.

3. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

After all my back-and-forths with Tesla service on this issue, their eventual explanation was that this is simply now the intended behavior.

As incredibly pathetic as that is, it's what I've grudgingly come to accept. So, at this point, I don't ever expect a software update to "fix" this "bug". (It would be great if it did happen, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Even more disappointingly, they still haven't updated the manual to accurately describe this nuance in how to disconnect the charge cable. I'm guessing they never will since it's an embarrassing failure on their part.

They did, however, recently update this same section of the manual to describe the change in the cable latch locking behavior in cold temps. I've highlighted the new added language below:

upload_2019-3-18_17-45-35.png

• Helpful x 1
  4. ord3r

ord3r Member

You can just lightly toggle the rear door handle, so it wakes the car but doesn't open. This will light the charge port, and allow you to hit the button to release.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1